I Feel the Need - The Need4Speed!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 18. Aug 04, 19:31

I can try to answer for him.
This mod will not be truly compatible with 1.4, but it will still work.
The specific things that will be different are that TS and TPs will not have their new performance data. Also 1.4 made a few changes to lasertowers and these won't be reflected.
If you install this mod, you'll be using all of the old 1.3 data for ship characteristics in addition to what has been changed by the mod.
It's very possible though that he's altered every single ship's data in this mod however, including TS and TP data. So in this case, the mod would be discarding the 1.4 changes anyway, so you won't notice a difference.
Does that answer your question?
I don't feel like I explained that very clearly.
This mod will make ship characteristics the same as they behaved in version 1.3.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

jduato
x3tc

Post by jduato » Thu, 19. Aug 04, 03:25

Now I am really doubtful about how to play this game. I played the entire plot twice (in V1.2 and V1.4) and finally decided to restart again after having 2 billions in my account, 48 factories, 11 destroyers, a carrier, etc, etc. There was no challenge!

I was looking for challenges. I tried things like killing a Xenon K with different ships, and I managed to do so with the Perseus (very easy), the Dragon (not so easy), the Mamba (slow and very challenging), Khaak M3 (didn't succeed because of energy low), and even the Bayamon (I had to reload several times but I cleaned a sector with 5 Ks, a Xenon station and several Ms and Ns). I tried different ships in Xenon and Khaak sectors as well as wingmen, etc. I also used to take assasination missions with an M3, killing a destroyer and killing/capturing 4 corvettes. Not too much fun.

So, I restarted again in X-treme mode using Burianek's Laser's rebalance mod. It is great and makes the combat more interesting. However, X-treme mode does not seem to make things more difficult. Just a slower start since you are only given a Disco without any upgrade and just 100 credits.

Now, I have seen the Need4Speed mod. I would like to try it out but I am afraid that some AI ships already contain many rudder upgrades. So, if I save the game with that mod on, I may end up in trouble. Also, despite the explanations in the readme file, I do not like the idea of M3s being faster than M6s because it may endanger OOS defense nor having a slow Pegasus because it was great for exploring the universe. Also, I know that both mods (Shara's and Burianek's) are not compatible. I like the higher speed delivered by Shara's script and I like the laser rebalance delivered by Burianek's script (making PPCs really useful, making hulls last for longer, etc). Are any of you planning on delivering a combined mod compatible with the changes in troduced in V1.4 or should I end up writing my own mod (by combining the best of your changes)?

Thanks for your great work to both of you!

ElBourico
x2

How to update current ships

Post by ElBourico » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 23:45

Hi guys,

Like the mod, I am an Xwing vs Tie fighter fan I just love X2 but I think it may need a little dogfighting upgrade. No games has involved me for such a long time. I'm still testing your mod and I wonder if there's a way to upgrade your all your ships. Cuz my wingmen could'nt follow me anymore and when I'm auto-piloting back to my Tl, My Nova is going at the old speed. Any clue? :?

strat
x3

Post by strat » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:07

Thanks Burianek, does anybody know if Shara is still here and active. cannot say I've seen him/her post for a while.

Jduato, if you do this please do not keep it to yourself, share the end product with the comunity, I would love to be able to do this myself but simply do not have the time to learn.

Strat...
Einstein rules relativity,
Well in theory at least.

Read on a public loo wall.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Mon, 23. Aug 04, 16:23

jduato wrote:I like the higher speed delivered by Shara's script and I like the laser rebalance delivered by Burianek's script (making PPCs really useful, making hulls last for longer, etc). Are any of you planning on delivering a combined mod compatible with the changes in troduced in V1.4 or should I end up writing my own mod (by combining the best of your changes)
I wrote one for 1.3, not using shara's values but my own. I increased speeds and decreased rudder, made it feel more like dogfighting in aircraft, was pretty cool. Loved it in 1.3. Tried it with 1.4, but the new AI has been designed around ego's flight characteristics. My mod sucked the big one in 1.4, so I decided when patching it up, to take out all the flight characteristics changes and just keep the laser/economy stuff.
If you mess with the flight data, you may do it to the detriment of the AI competence, but knock yourself out :)

strat
x3

Post by strat » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 20:24

That doesn't sound promising at all.
Oh well, but wouldn't you agree that the incredible turning capabilities of ships gives a whole new meaning too "Turning on a dime".
And I hate, hate, HATE the fact that I'm flying a Nova, "Jeez mate did you see that snail go"? "nah mate I was too busy napping, are we there yet".
Even a heavy fighter should be able to at least keep up with a carrier.

Frustrated Strat...
Well in theory at least.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 20:29

strat wrote:That doesn't sound promising at all.
Oh well, but wouldn't you agree that the incredible turning capabilities of ships gives a whole new meaning too "Turning on a dime".
And I hate, hate, HATE the fact that I'm flying a Nova, "Jeez mate did you see that snail go"? "nah mate I was too busy napping, are we there yet".
Even a heavy fighter should be able to at least keep up with a carrier.

Frustrated Strat...
Hmmm.. you could proly redo the speeds with no problems as long as you didn't make them too fast. The AI just needs to be able to turn on a dime or they'll never get a lock on you. You can't really lower rudder if you want the AI to hit.

strat
x3

Post by strat » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 20:48

Ok, time to start learning all this Tships or whatever. can you point me in the right direction please buddy.

Strat...

Ps. still no word from Shara. mefinx they be awol.
Well in theory at least.

strat
x3

Post by strat » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 20:51

Silly me, it's at the top of the list.

Strat...
Well in theory at least.

ElBourico
x2

Post by ElBourico » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 21:03

And theres another thig to be taken care of with this mod... the massdriver should be nerfed a little... I was attacking the Xenon systems alone in my Centaur w dual mass driver and I was ripping everything apart in less than 10 sec. It's fun for a few secs but gets boring pretty fast. I'll see if it's possible to be less radical with changes in the speeds and rudder and bullet speed. If there's already a mod that do this kind of changes with succes please point it to me.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 21:15

ElBourico
x2

Post by ElBourico » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 21:40

Sounds very good... The only thing I would need is a couple of days uninterupted where I can try It. :D BTW, I think I just sold X2 to one of my coworker, another addict will join us soon Mouhahaha.

There's one last thing I'm still unhappy with. The ship speed, I think if you mess with them the AI won't follow. Is it true? I'm looking for an increase of no more than 15- 20% targetting exclusively the m3s.

jduato
x3tc

Post by jduato » Wed, 25. Aug 04, 13:34

Back again. I wish I could devote more time to this game but I myself I am too busy as well. And my "vacation" month is finishing :cry:

Anyway, if Burianek already tried increasing speed and did not succeed with AI ships in 1.4, I am not going to try myself. It is too time consuming. I tried Shara's mod and AI ships were far too slow in 1.4. Not to mention how easily I killed a K with a Mamba :) So, I restarted and I am playing 1.4 in X-treme mode with Burianek's Laser-only rebalance. It really makes a difference when, for instance, you attack a pirate base with 8 Orinocos and 8 Bayamons.

I also hate that slow Nova. I am considering replacing it with a SuperNova (higher speed, higher cargo, higher generator power, three or four mount points, PSGs). The goal? To be able to fight against a Khaak cluster like I did in V1.2 or V1.3.

strat
x3

Post by strat » Wed, 25. Aug 04, 18:24

Supernova, I'll do a search.

Strat...
Well in theory at least.

jduato
x3tc

Post by jduato » Thu, 26. Aug 04, 17:42

I also hate that slow Nova. I am considering replacing it with a SuperNova (higher speed, higher cargo, higher generator power, three or four mount points, PSGs). The goal? To be able to fight against a Khaak cluster like I did in V1.2 or V1.3.
OK. Finally I decided what to do. I rebalanced several Split ships following the design philosophy of the Split Scorpio. The first tests have worked really well. I am going to start a new subject (once I learn how to do so) and I will post the mod. The problem is that I do not like the idea of using any of the servers in our lab and I cannot leave my home computer on all the time to work as a server. Does Egosoft provide any support to store mods so that people could download them?

sMull
x4

Post by sMull » Mon, 27. Jan 14, 22:33

Yes, a 10 year old thread.

But i want this mod.

Anyone know where i can get it from? I tried searching but no luck.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”