Care and Feeding of M6 Craft

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Damar Stiehl
x3

Care and Feeding of M6 Craft

Post by Damar Stiehl » Mon, 24. May 04, 19:44

Inspired by Tsar of Cows and boredom.
EDIT: Amended with an M5 recommendation.

So you finally have enough scratch to trade in the ole M3 for a better set of wheels. Here's a little guide to help you choose, and care for, your Corvette for the next stage of your game.

1. M6 in a nutshell

Bigger than a heavy fighter, smaller than a destroyer, and (usually) heavily armed. They cannot dock inside stations; the only places you can dock your M6 at are Shipyards, Dry-Docks and Equipment Docks. You can dock, and carry around, a single M5-class ship.
Some things to remember about M6s:

- You cannot dock anything other than an M5 in an M6, so don't even try.
- When docking at a station, the game won't auto-save. Moreover, if you want to save, you'll have to spend Goner Insurance. If you want to auto-save or save for free, get into your M5 (by going to the Ship menu and selecting "change ship") and dock with the station of your choice.
- The best M5 for your M6 is a Teladi Harrier. Why? Cargo space. You probably won't jump out of your Corvette to go after something in a Scout. Your M5 will primarily serve as a tender, ferrying over Energy cells and other goods. The Harrier has decent speed and good looks combined with a vast cargo hold - what more would you need in a tender?
- If you haven't already, get Xai Corp's Fleet Support Software mod and install this upgrade on your M5 tender. The "resupply ship" command automates re-acquisition of energy cells and other goods, while you are free to take care of business in the sector.
- Absolutely, positively install a Transporter Device on your M6. This way, you can use your TS ships to ferry items that will not fit into an M5, and quickly and painlessly transfer them to your Corvette.

2. Boron Hydra
http://www.the-commander.com/x2/pics/hydra4.jpg

What a horrible, horrible ship. Not only it looks like a stoner's rendtion of a blowfish, it is also woefully underpowered. Hydra carries a total of two weapon emplacements, and is good for basically nothing.

Pros: You get to drive it for free during a plot mission. Don't get to keep it though.
Cons: It sucks. Possibly more than any other ship in X2.

3. Argon Centaur
http://www.the-commander.com/x2/pics/centaur1.jpg

A typical Argon workhorse, this Corvette carries four weapon emplacements (two forward-facing guns and two one-gun turrets). Average speed (207 m/s) and decend shielding make this M6 a good choice for OOS defense.

Pros:
- Jack of all trades.
- Can equip mass drivers.
- Best choice for OOS defense.

Cons:
- Not particularly good at any one thing.
- Doesn't look too exciting either.

4. Split Dragon
http://www.the-commander.com/x2/pics/drag.jpg

This is the same ship as Julian's daddy's AP Hammer. Dragon's looks make everyone weak in the knees. It is also incredibly fast (324 m/s) and turns on a dime. Great as a personal "fun ship". However, the appeal of the Dragon is severely undercut by a weak forward gun emplacement and lousy shielding and hull strength.

Pros:
- Fast!
- Looks great.
- Can be dangerous if handled right.
- Can equip mass drivers all around.

Cons:
- Very fragile.
- No good at dogfighting (one forward-facing gun).
- Fire arcs are not the most efficient.
- You will be accused of elitism and get into shouting matches with Osprey pilots.

5. Paranid Nemesis
http://www.hrh1000.com/x2/pics/nemes4.jpg

Reasonably fast and durable, this M6 is a bit of a one-trick pony. Because of its weapon loadout, it can be a beast against Khaak and Xenon in their sectors. Its power, however, is severely diminished in sectors where friendly fire is not permissible.

Pros:
- Three words: Capital Ship Killer. This is the only M6 that can carry a GPSG.
- Quite fast and durable.

Cons:
- Lousy cargo space.
- Sucks at OOS defense.
- Loses a lot of power in friendly sectors.
- Not exactly the coolest m6.

6. Teladi Osprey
http://www.hrh1000.com/x2/pics/ospr8x6.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't a "cheater ship". The Teladi M6 was "omitted" from the game by oversight and put back in by the 1.3 patch. This Corvette is slow, heavily shielded, and carries the most guns of all M6s (six emplacements in four turrets). Because of its ability to mount dual BPSGs front and back, it works great against capital ships and Khaak clusters. At the same time, it remains powerful when equipped with "safe" weapons (HEPTs).

Pros:
- So much firepower that it can be considered a mini-destroyer.
- Superb fire coverage.
- Oodles of cargo space.
- Can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' (3x125MW shields!)

Cons:
- The slowest M6, which isn't saying much - it is faster than a Nova.
- Not the greatest choice for OOS defense due to speed.
- You will be accused of cheating and get into shouting matches with Dragon pilots.
Last edited by Damar Stiehl on Mon, 24. May 04, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Mon, 24. May 04, 19:46

woopee Ive started a craze! Actually id been thinking about doing this, but youve just saved me some time! :D

Something to add about the Osprey: even when handeled by the AI, this ship can stand up to an Odi and a Python at the same time. It was eventually destroyed mind you... buy it lasted a good few minutes.
Last edited by Tsar_of_Cows on Mon, 24. May 04, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Mon, 24. May 04, 19:50

Lol...!

Handy though. M6 ships are possibly the most versatile of the bigger ships.

I disagree about the Centaur's looks. It looks like a military ship while the others look like sports cars and are only for effete snobs. Oh apart from the Hydra which looks like a ball of snot with engines...

Handy tip about the autosave - I'll have to remember that.

How about an M6/M5 combo guide now? Which M5 is best as a buddy ship for your M6!

Iron Jaw
x2

Post by Iron Jaw » Mon, 24. May 04, 19:52

i own a dragon and an ospray, so an i an eliteist cheater??? :lol:

good thread my friend, haveing owned all of those M6's bar the Hyrda and the Nemesis, i can say that you have got it nailed :D

Except for the Centuar looks, i think it looks great, it looks human and militaristic.
1 - Argon Titan - HMS Herakles
1- Paranid Hercules - HMS Daedalus
1- Teladi Ospray- HMS Thanatos
1- Split Dragon- HMS Prometheus R.I.P
3-Argon Centuar-HMS Agamemnon& HMS Helios and HMS Hades

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Mon, 24. May 04, 19:54

Good work Damar Stiehl :mrgreen: :thumb_up:

This will be a handy tool for all those ppl out there who can't
deicide what M6 to buy :roll:

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:02

I already decided on a Centaur the moment I saw one. Sod the statistics, it looks hard and military. Thats what I like. Pity you cant overlay your own textures on ships you've bought! Then it'd get a full camo paint-job :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:05

More good Stuff. Added to the links in the Ultimate Guide

Damar Stiehl
x3

Post by Damar Stiehl » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:05

Thanks for feedback. Amended the original post with some more stuff.

EDIT: ooOOoOOOO, added to the Ultimate Guide? I'm honored.
Last edited by Damar Stiehl on Mon, 24. May 04, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

Flector
x4

Post by Flector » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:06

I disagree on the Nemesis getting a thumbs down on OOS defense. I think the Nemesis is just as capable as the Centaur in OOS.

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:06

Split Dragon may be coolest and fastest M6 but I like lot of Centaur, I will build of them lot for OOS defense and are very well-round of M6, Teladi Osprey see lot of firepower and heavy shild but slowest but some I read that Osprey will lost to Khaak if OOS defense I never tried it out and test. One thing I am not sure because some put BHEPT and GHEPT in Centaur for OOS or other put GPAC for OOS, so I wonder what weapons better for OOS? I Put max weapon as i could GHEPt and BHEPT and Set 2 Mission Defense Turret and Set All enemy.

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:07

Greyhawk1 wrote:I already decided on a Centaur the moment I saw one. Sod the statistics, it looks hard and military. Thats what I like. Pity you cant overlay your own textures on ships you've bought! Then it'd get a full camo paint-job :)
Camo paint-job in space??? Hmmm that would be black then :D :D :D

sorry just pulling your leg. :wink:

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:14

Wolfkin wrote:
Greyhawk1 wrote:I already decided on a Centaur the moment I saw one. Sod the statistics, it looks hard and military. Thats what I like. Pity you cant overlay your own textures on ships you've bought! Then it'd get a full camo paint-job :)
Camo paint-job in space??? Hmmm that would be black then :D :D :D

sorry just pulling your leg. :wink:
I know it'd be useless but it would look ace - and that, after all is THE deciding factor in all things X2!!!

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:18

Sure is, but it would be fun to se a camo-job that work in space aswell.
Something for future mods maybe :?:

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:24

Flector wrote:I disagree on the Nemesis getting a thumbs down on OOS defense. I think the Nemesis is just as capable as the Centaur in OOS.
that's why I love M6s, they are so balanced :)

imo the nemmy shouldn't get a straight thumbs down either.

pros:

higher speed so can intercept quicker

cons:

takes a bit longer to destroy enemy
1.5 million more expensive

imo the decision is tilted in favour of the centaur but it's not a clear-cut choice

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:25

Camo in X2 would have to be chameleon-style, there's no way one colour would be camo in every sector. Quick! Someone write a script to re-skin your ships according to the sector!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:27

Flector wrote:I disagree on the Nemesis getting a thumbs down on OOS defense. I think the Nemesis is just as capable as the Centaur in OOS.
Indeed. And it looks cool (but I think all ships bar the Orinoco has it's own visual charm.)
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Mon, 24. May 04, 20:54

Hydra: great (but expensive) ship for OOS defense, because of its superb interception speed. And you can keep Mi Ton's Hydra as long as you don't continue with the plot.

Dragon:
Cons:
- Very fragile.
- No good at dogfighting (one forward-facing gun).
- Fire arcs are not the most efficient.
- You will be accused of elitism and get into shouting matches with Osprey pilots.
1. Wiped out two Xenon sectors with this one, shields never dropped below 70%
2. Dogfighted to death countless L's in those aforementioned Xenon sectors using GHEPT and alot khaak M5's using APPC
3. Can easilly bring 3 GHEPT's on the bigger targets (like J's and K's)
4. Gotta get out of here - I can hear Osprey pilots scrambling into their cheat-of-a-ships :D

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Mon, 24. May 04, 21:03

Cheat of a Ship :? I dont think it's cheat, it's so slowest in m6 and cost more than Dragon 6 million and up to 9 million max and Osprey 8 million and up to 12 millions Max, but I could be wrong about price.

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Mon, 24. May 04, 21:15

Reader81 wrote:Cheat of a Ship :? I dont think it's cheat, it's so slowest in m6 and cost more than Dragon 6 million and up to 9 million max and Osprey 8 million and up to 12 millions Max, but I could be wrong about price.
OK, I was kiddin'. however after that Xenocide I just can't find a single reason why would I want to buy an Osprey, unless 1.4 update will bring some drastic changes in AI's combat capabilities.

Damar Stiehl
x3

Post by Damar Stiehl » Mon, 24. May 04, 21:22

As far as Dragons go:

I could easily see someone wiping out a Xenon sector in a Dragon and keeping shields at 70% - after all Dragon is a speed demon. And yes, the turrets CAN be brought to bear for some serious damage. As stated, Dragon CAN be dangerous if handled right. But as far as absorbing damage goes, Dragon is an absolute dog - it loses eqiupment from nearly every ram, and 1x125 shield is paper-thin compared to other corvettes' defenses.

And why man, WHY would you want to keep a Hydra on OOS?..

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”