David Braben on X-BTF, Elite 4.. etc.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

degojs

David Braben on X-BTF, Elite 4.. etc.

Post by degojs » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 09:37

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/tiscap1/e4/E4article.JPG

"I do find games like X: Beyond the Frontier irritating and unimaginative - simply trying to cash-in on the heritage of Elite without doing anything new."

What do you say?
Commercial-Free !

x239
x3tc

Post by x239 » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 10:40

cash in, without doing anything new!!!?!

sounds like someone cant admit that they have been bettered to me
"I have a gun, i know how to use it, it doesn't mean that i have to"

Tsumikae
x2

Post by Tsumikae » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 11:41

Damn! Do they believe they have invented the genre???
I have another quote, from gamespy review:

"Elite is dead. Long live X2."

Ha! :P
Peace means to reload a gun

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 11:51

Braburn became a contortionist and stuck his head up his own **** long ago. Respect to his and his partners imagination, design and programming abilities, but don't listen to a word he says. I think he's just jelous that someone is already using the name Egosoft, that would be the ideal name for his development company. :wink:
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 11:57

Rapier wrote:Braburn became a contortionist and stuck his head up his own **** long ago. Respect to his and his partners imagination, design and programming abilities, but don't listen to a word he says. I think he's just jelous that someone is already using the name Egosoft, that would be the ideal name for his development company. :wink:
I still can't believe people are still comparing X2 to Elite, let's face it X2 is far above Elite then elite will ever be. Even if they would create Elite 4 i still say X2 is way better, and it's getting better all the time.

Even X-beyond the frontier was way better then Elite ever was.
Elite is dead, long live X2 :P

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 12:00

I played elite back then too when it first came out, but never liked that very much. I like the freedom of the X games better. To me an entire world opend after the first x-game.

DZorro,
System spec: Pentium (R) D 2.66 Ghz, Ram : 2048 DDR, HD : 250 GIG 7200 RPM intern 8 MB cash
Videocard : Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb : Realtek
Laptop : AMD athlon 64 3200 + 1024 DDR 80 gig HD Conexant AMC Audio, Ati mobility Radeon Express 200

Jimmy Jazz
x3

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 12:17

Tsumikae wrote:Damn! Do they believe they have invented the genre???

Ha! :P
:roll: Uhm, I think they did invent the genre. Which doesntt change the fact the X-games did indeed add lots of new features. Elite was great in its time. But this Braben guy, what game has produced in the last ten years? Nothng!
Pinky : "Gee, Brain what do you want to do tonight?"
Brain : "The same thing we do every night Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

dr. lomax
x2

Post by dr. lomax » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 13:07

D_Zorro wrote:
Rapier wrote:Braburn became a contortionist and stuck his head up his own **** long ago. Respect to his and his partners imagination, design and programming abilities, but don't listen to a word he says. I think he's just jelous that someone is already using the name Egosoft, that would be the ideal name for his development company. :wink:
I still can't believe people are still comparing X2 to Elite, let's face it X2 is far above Elite then elite will ever be.
Yeah but, come on, when was elite made?
So it's come to this, I told you this would happen Ani! The fanboys are taking over!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 13:09

Jimmy Jazz wrote: :roll: Uhm, I think they did invent the genre. Which doesntt change the fact the X-games did indeed add lots of new features. Elite was great in its time. But this Braben guy, what game has produced in the last ten years? Nothng!
Actually, he's produced quite a lot of stuff in the last ten years--just none of it has been in the space trading sim genre he created with Elite. Certainly I think the statement quoted at the top of this thread is nonsense--it wasn't even true for X-BTF, which introduced factory ownership to the genre, much less X-Tension and X2.

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 13:49

As he said he hadn't played it... So he's going from what he's read and magazines (or more likely what he's been told). Which is a bad idea from the start!!!

Maybe someone should send him a copy of X2 and make him eat his words...

But I expect that by the time Elite 4's ready Egosoft will almost have completed X3... Then we'll see which is the cheap immitation... :wink: (Joke)

Jericho
x2

Re: David Braben on X-BTF, Elite 4.. etc.

Post by Jericho » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 19:18

degojs wrote:http://xoomer.virgilio.it/tiscap1/e4/E4article.JPG

"I do find games like X: Beyond the Frontier irritating and unimaginative - simply trying to cash-in on the heritage of Elite without doing anything new."

What do you say?
I know, I quoted that article last week. COuldn't believe he said it. Made himself look like a right ignoramious.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 20:50

Im sorry to say it but if they can get the full expance of Brabens vision in a game for modern PC's utilizing modern graphics engines and programming then X2 will be an X-Parrot.
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

XU Vagabond
x3tc

Post by XU Vagabond » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 20:56

just watch out egosoft he might say he thought of player station owner ship before you slap a law suit on you :lol: besides bell twice the programer Braben was.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 22:01

RustiSwordz wrote:Im sorry to say it but if they can get the full expance of Brabens vision in a game for modern PC's utilizing modern graphics engines and programming then X2 will be an X-Parrot.
That's a big if. He's done nothing to further the genre for years except slam everyone else who have had a go. The focus of his vision seems to have shifted a bit. If (that big word again) he can turn his words into action, I'll play it too. However the lack of anything substantial is disturbing.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

The_Tigers_Eye
x3tc

Post by The_Tigers_Eye » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 22:09

:roll:

Why do people insist on comparing Elite to X2, Elite was great for its day but it's day has long since turned to ash, dust and distant fond memories. Might as well compare the processing power that Elite required to that of X2 to show how much more depth and vision the genre has moved onto, thats all I have to say:
You are not authorized to view this page
:D :shock: :D

crunn
x4

Re: David Braben on X-BTF, Elite 4.. etc.

Post by crunn » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 23:24

degojs wrote:What do you say?
I say Braben should be quiet and get Elite4 finished already.
Then we can compare.
If Elite4 proves to be better, well done to him.

How many years have we waited?
10-15-more I lost count.
Probably why some of us are here, gave up waiting and discovered Btf instead. And stayed.

Triple-F
x2

Post by Triple-F » Sun, 4. Jul 04, 23:29

If he can remember how to programme, then it would be interesting, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Some of us are like cogs in the great wheel of life while others are just plain nuts.
- Daffy Duck

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Mon, 5. Jul 04, 08:46

Braben really needs to put his money where his mouth is. So far we know virtually diddly squat about Elite 4. We DO however know that his last two attempts, Frontier and First Encounters, were by and large poor efforts, and that the master piece was co-written with Ian Bell, who isn't a wanker, who was a better programmer, and who hasn't got a chip the size of a boulder on his shoulder (I'm a poet and I just don't know it. ;) )
And he REALLY, like, seriously, needs to get medication if he thinks X is leaching off of the Elite "game". Elite, classic though it was, was a friggin simple game that he got lucky with. Good, nay excellent though it was, in side by side comparisons X is miles beyond it. And as for "adding nothing to the genre" Jesus wept had he even seen the game, let alone play it? (As an aside what muppet criticises a game he's never played?)
Until something concrete about Elite 4 is released I'd suggest Braben goes back to chewing on his own liver.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Mon, 5. Jul 04, 08:48

BTW, has anyone got any links to the full interview?
(Ones that work like?)

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 5. Jul 04, 10:54

Lutzie wrote:Braben really needs to put his money where his mouth is. So far we know virtually diddly squat about Elite 4. We DO however know that his last two attempts, Frontier and First Encounters, were by and large poor efforts
Have to disagree there. First Eencounters was bugged beyond what was acceptable but for the time and the hardware both were masterpieces. flawed, but masterpieces. nevertheless.

Okay - no fancy graphics, no factories and multi-ship ownership like the X series, which I am a huge fan of.

But both games had a mission board system that puts X2 to shame. They had scale and scope - huge galaxy, fully modelled solar systems, landable planets and a combat system that did not have you giggling and pointing at its ineptitude (I disliked that aspect for it's unforgiving newtonianism but preferred it to the hapless X series combat model.)

And the ships were great - real variety and character.

And considering they came on a single disk (a single floppy in Frontier) and ran on machines less powerful than your mobile, we can cut them some slack for the multimedia shortcomings.

Given a choice between Frontier (with a less Newtonian flight model, something more like Independence War 2 assisted flight modes), updated for modern machines, and X2 - I'd choose Frontier any day. I prefer the feeling that you are a lone, Han Solo type trader in a hostile galaxy over the invincible, Man-With-Van feel of X2.

Can't access the article to read the comments in context but I can see his point. The X series trades off breadth and depth for economic and trading detail and shiny, shiny graphics. It essentially junks the combat and exploration side of the Elite/Frontier gameplay.

I certainly don't think Ego are 'cashing in' though. They have pursued their own vision - I just wish that vision had been less concerned with graphics and comical cut-scenes and more concerned with the AI, mission boards and flight/combat model.

Allowing for changes in technology Frontier is still the best space trader game of all time, IMHO.

Return to “Off Topic English”