ARS - automated rescue system free for testing

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

MurxxruM
x2

ARS - automated rescue system free for testing

Post by MurxxruM » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 19:52

Hello there,

i have finished my first script/ship ugrade. The ARS.

Function: he ARS automatically jumps to the furthest gate within the sector the ship is in if the shield energy drops below x% as a result of damage from enemy ships (it will not be activated if your shields are damaged by a nebula)

Background: The ARS was developed by the Split military during the Boron campaign. Most Split soldiers were too eager to fight the enemy and gain honour on the battlefield. The result was, in most cases, a Split funeral and more Split being too eager to fight. The big Split Families faced problems keeping a steady supply of both soldiers and ships, and therefore developed a system to minimise casulties. One result of this effort was the Automated Rescue System; a cheap solution that didn't solve the problem entirely but decreased the casulities to a level which the Split military was able to work with. The system is now on public sale.

You can download it as RAR or installer from here http://schmidtlef.de/Krischans_X2_Dateien/ please e-mail me your feedback or any problems you might face. Though it should work fine.

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 04:43

Please, feel encouraged to post any feedback :)

sethmorgan
x3

Post by sethmorgan » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 04:50

what dose it do after jumping in to the under attack which sheild are dropping aad dose it jump in for you if your in a fight

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 04:53

encourage. encourage ;)

I shall have a look at this one

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 15:35

Its quite an easy script it just checks if your shields drop below a given percentage. If your shields are below the percentage then the script checks if you have an attacker object (if you got attacked by a nebula or an object) if the attacker is not a nebula the script will search the jumpgate which is most distant to your position and jumps to it. You will still have full control of your ship while the jumpdrive is chargning and you will be notified by a sound once the jumpdrive has been triggered.

The script will continue checking your shileds after the jump.

And i just noticed that this could be a source of trouble. If your shields are that "damaged" that you are still below the given percentage after the jupm within the next cycle, this might lead again to a jump to the most distant gate. But this is for you to decide. Please just try the script and give me a feedback.

It will not call reinforcements just jumps away. This script works for both player controlled and nonplayercontrolled ships (should also work just fine on nonplayerowned ships).

The only thing that changes are the messages and sounds. Though there are different messages and sound in case you are the pilot of the ship. It would be annoying to get a message "you have just used your jumpdrive" since you should be aware of it yourself

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 15:41

Nice ARS. :)
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Sat, 21. Aug 04, 16:52

Thank you for your feedback, but could you be a little more specific? Did you use it? What did you like? Do you have any ideas for improvement and do you sue it for your or for more ships?
Would you like to see special elite enemys to use that system?

NogginTheNog
x3

Post by NogginTheNog » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 09:54

Nice one MurxxruM, this script saved my a*se last night when I was in the middle of a Xenon invasion mission.

Cheers

Noggin

DeltaWolf
x4

Post by DeltaWolf » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 10:59

What happens if there is only one gate?

I presume you must have a jumpdrive installed?

Is it a software upgrade you have to buy ingame / where ?

Brent Rivienne
x3tc

Post by Brent Rivienne » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 11:08

Does the software check that you have already seen the gate on your scanners before?

If not you could abuse it by setting a high shield percentage and crashing into a ship/station to teleport to that secret gate miles across the system.

GoateeCat
x2

Post by GoateeCat » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 12:07

Another example of a simple yet universally useful and frequently required feature.

My hats off to you sir. i shall install with relish immediately!!

Blog!

GoateeCat
x2

Post by GoateeCat » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 12:15

I submitted your script for inclusion to Xscripting.

I hope you don't mind. :)

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Tue, 24. Aug 04, 16:38

What happens if there is only one gate?

I presume you must have a jumpdrive installed?

Is it a software upgrade you have to buy ingame / where ?
The AFS will be availabel as software upgrade in any Split equipment docks. It wont work on M5 ships because you need a jumpdrive to run it (and shields).
The ship will jump to the farest gate. Though if there is just one it will allways be that gate. I have some ideas to improve that but i first wanted to see how big the interest into such a system is.
Does the software check that you have already seen the gate on your scanners before?

If not you could abuse it by setting a high shield percentage and crashing into a ship/station to teleport to that secret gate miles across the system.
No it does not check if gates are known. But i am not sure if that is possible (checking if gates are known). Yes, people could use it to jump to (yet unkown) "hidden" gates. But i had no problems to spot them yet. They are always behind a remote big object like a nebula or an asteroid. If people are interested into a security routine to make such exploition impossible well i surely might have a look into it.
Another example of a simple yet universally useful and frequently required feature.

My hats off to you sir. i shall install with relish immediately!!

Blog!

I submitted your script for inclusion to Xscripting.

I hope you don't mind.
No i dont mind in the opposit i am flattered. I guess the nicest for any scripter is to see people use and like his/her script. But i am also glad for some ideas i did not have like the "hidden gate exploit".

EDIT:

New version of the ARS available. The Special Hubi Edition. This version is compatible to the Fight Command Software MK3 from marklaverty. It connects the ARS directly to the jumpdrive and does not use a wareslot anymore. It was a matter in the german boards and i thought thight might be of interest for you too.

StevesX2
xr

Post by StevesX2 » Sat, 28. Aug 04, 01:55

I can see it on the equipment docks list but its called something like 'read text xxxx'

I have bought it but I can't test it right now as the last attack took out my jumpdrive and I'm over in rhonkars clouds.
Braben - 30 years of faith lost. Enjoy my money

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Sat, 28. Aug 04, 03:52

I suppose you forgot to reinit the script caches ;)

Until you do so, it is actually just a read text. Did you use the 21 or 26 August version?

strat
x3

Post by strat » Sun, 29. Aug 04, 15:38

Hmmm[/quote]
Einstein rules relativity,
Well in theory at least.

Read on a public loo wall.

strat
x3

Post by strat » Sun, 29. Aug 04, 15:45

Sir Crashalot wrote:Nice ARS. :)
:lol:

Ahhh, got it, couldn't work out how to use the Quote tag so sorry about previous post.

On topic, nice work.

Strat...
Einstein rules relativity,
Well in theory at least.

Read on a public loo wall.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Sun, 29. Aug 04, 19:41

the only problem I see is with the story. there weren't jumpdrives for at least a couple hundred years after the Boron Campiagn. unless they actually did have them, and the Xenon took them all and the Split forgot how to make them. and then the Xenon used tem ato go to Earth, who then use them to get back to the X universe, and the the goners and Terracorp mass produced them and the Split have them again.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

MurxxruM
x2

Post by MurxxruM » Sun, 29. Aug 04, 22:35

To be honest i am not familiar with the whole X story. Actually i just played X2. Though i thought it would be nicer to have a small text (like all other wares/updates have) for keeping up the good atmosphere.

Use your imagination. Could be a small version of a jumpdrive only capable of jumping to a gate within the same sector or whatever.

EDIT: Well if you consider yourself to know the X-story well, feel free to write an alternative background.

Damar Stiehl
x3

Post by Damar Stiehl » Mon, 30. Aug 04, 15:56

I installed the HUBI edition and now the Split equipment docks are selling Readtext-something. Reinit'ed script caches until I was blue in the face, and nothing :( Still readtext. What's happening here?

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”