Extended Ship Information

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Burianek
x3tc

Extended Ship Information

Post by Burianek » Sun, 31. Oct 04, 23:53

I'm pleased to announce a new feature to some of our signed scripts.
Namely, the ability for the script to display additional advanced script information in the name of the ship running it.
The new BPH (v1.40.04) and new Patrol commands have already been written to take advantage of this new feature.
I hope you all like the new functionality!
Note: this is not a seperate script you can download, it must be incorporated into other scripts. Right now it's in BPH and basic patrol commands.

The basic readme follows:

Description:
This script is a new way to let the player see useful info about the script a ship is running. It places advanced script information in the ship name itself. It can be toggled between a number of different formats or turned off completely.

Command:
Advanced Information in Ship Names
This command can now be found in the additional ship commands section of your command console when a trading system extension is present.
Selecting this command for the ship you are currently piloting allows you to toggle turning on/off advanced script information in all of your other ship's names. The command will ask you for which format you would like to display the information:
0: No Advanced Information, ex. 'My Centaur'
1: Script Name: Ship Name, ex. 'PS Leader: My Centaur'
2: Script Name: Advanced Info, ex. 'PS Leader: W:0'
3: Script Name: Ship Name Adv Info, ex. 'PS Leader: My Centaur W:0'

Running this command from the command console of a ship you are not currently piloting will reset the ship name back to the original name. This can be useful because after you've stopped a ship from running a command, advanced information may still be in the ship name. If you don't want to manually change the name back to what it was, you may quickly run this script to reset it.

For Scripters:
To make use of this new functionality in designing your scripts is easy. To change the name of the ship the script is running on, insert a call to the following function:
lib.ship.ext.names.cmd.pck.
The function takes as arguments strings Script Name (optional) and Extended Information (optional). These correspond exactly to what will be displayed in the ship name.
Remember that displaying a lot of information will cause the ship name to grow large, so use abbreviations when possible.
Also information like homebase, current command, current target, etc. can be easily looked up in the property information ('r') screen, so including this kind of information in the ship name is probably unnecessary.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Tue, 2. Nov 04, 12:36

2: Script Name: Advanced Info, ex. 'PS Leader: W:0'
3: Script Name: Ship Name Adv Info, ex. 'PS Leader: My Centaur W:0'

Can you explain what "W : 0" is please.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Tue, 2. Nov 04, 12:54

number of wingmen in the patrol

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Tue, 2. Nov 04, 19:45

frymaster wrote:number of wingmen in the patrol
thanks frymaster.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 00:38

Yeah, the script that uses this should explain the advanced info.
It will be different for every script.
For my example, the patrol script, PS means patrol single sector, and W:0 = wingmen = 0

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 06:16

This script is a new way to let the player see useful info about the script a ship is running
HOW ?
It places advanced script information in the ship name itself
Like hell it does i been to the ship info screen no new info just the same standered stuff like its location destination curent command ect

i also checked the univires map and its still sayin your argon mercury

so where is this advanced info screen ?
It can be toggled between a number of different formats or turned off completely
HOW ?

Spark
x2

Post by Spark » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 07:33

No need to be rude and start yelling.
Access the command console of the ship you're on.
Select the new command thingy and enter 1, 2 or 3.
After some time the Patrols and BPH's will show this info.
If you want to see it immediately, then just restart a BPH.

RTFM and just try something out for crying out loud. I had to....

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 15:05

A: if I was being rude than I apologise I'm simply frustrated is all

B: if you read what I posted properly you would see that I did read the manual and did try things out but still didn't understand perhaps if things where explained a little more clearly then this sort of problem wouldn't happen in the first place in the first place

at any rate thanks for clearing that up

Spark
x2

Post by Spark » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 17:20

FYI it's considered rude to START YELLING.
That's a reason I suppose, that the subject header of a message doesn't accept an all-capital title.

About me reading properly, I wasn't aware that you were adressing me personally.

It looks to me like you can be helped best, when given an example.
So please feel free to ask for an example :roll:

Spark
x2

Post by Spark » Wed, 3. Nov 04, 23:57

Hey guys!
Little glitch found:
When starting Burianek's Patrol script, the log doesn't show the new name yet. After restarting the patrol-multi it does....
Dunno where to report it, but this seems the right thread.

Spark.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 01:25

No glitch ;)
Names are updated when the script in question calls the script to rename them.
In my patrol script this is done periodically, but may not be before every message write to the player. So it may very well change the adv info in the name of the ship after the ship sends you a message. In any case, the ship name itself will be the same, just the info may reflect a different state.

I think the cool thing is that you can start giving your ships real names.
I used to call all of my ships something like:
'BPH Energy In Rhonkar's Crystal Fab 1'
or something like that.
There's no real name in there, it's all information.
Now, you could call this ship 'Excelsior' or whatever, and leave the adv info to the script.

So I guess what I'm getting at is if you name your ships real names, the fact that the adv info may not match up precisely between the message and what your ship is currently doing shouldn't be that huge of an issue, because you'll see the name 'Excelsior' and say, oh yeah, I know which ship that is.

Thanks for the report.

Spark
x2

Post by Spark » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 16:33

Burianek wrote:So I guess what I'm getting at is if you name your ships real names, the fact that the adv info may not match up precisely between the message and what your ship is currently doing shouldn't be that huge of an issue, because you'll see the name 'Excelsior' and say, oh yeah, I know which ship that is.
Oh, I agree. That's why I said little glitch.
Little glitch -> glitch, -> issue -> buggy -> bug -> stupid mistake -> blunder
So you're doing well :)

KanineLupus
x2

Post by KanineLupus » Fri, 15. Apr 05, 09:03

keep seeing reference to this so called "additional ship commands" section..is this specific to version 1.4??? Seeing as my bundled version of the game won't upgrade despite all efforts, is there any otherway to access commands apparently found there.....the engine upgrade kit for example....can buy and install it, but can't bloody activate the damn thing as I can't find this commands section...am not happy!!!!!!!!!!!

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 15. Apr 05, 19:17

crayolakidd the screen you are refering to looks like the one below it is as far as I am aware only available in the 1.4 version of the game its accessable by going into your ships command console and scrolling down
[ external image ]

Hope that helps

TSM :)
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 16. Apr 05, 02:18

Yes, the scripts in the bonus pack are all compatible with version 1.4 of X2.
I'm not sure why you can't upgrade if you're a registered user, but I think I read in another of your posts that you'd tried and been unsuccessful. If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Cheers.

Piratehunter
x2

Post by Piratehunter » Fri, 15. Jul 05, 17:06

I have a crystal fab, with 3 Boron dophins for each resource, including selling the crystals. Then i get the BHP for each ship, and i forbid each freighter to carry items that it wasnt carrying before, because otherwise i would have 12 of them goign for meatsteaks at the same time. BUT i left the 3 freithgers that SOLD the crystals free (i.e. no prohibited items) until they reach lvl6 and can sell stuff.

One day, my crystal fab runs out of energy cells, and ??? no ship is giong out to get any for me, even the ones that say CMD: BHPE or whatever it says for their command. My jump radius allowed is 2, and most of the freighters have either level 0, 2 or 3. WHAT have i done wrong? (ah the buying price for energy is set to max, and they buy meatsteaks and (as far as i can tell) silicon perfectly fine.
Life Ain't That Bad After All, if you're in something bigger than an M4 :D

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 16. Jul 05, 07:16

This post should be in the BPH thread, not the extended ship info thread.
As to the answer try reading the BPH FAQ section entitled 'why aren't my ships doing anything?' for a checklist of possible reasons for the behavior you describe.
(Both the BPH thread and the FAQ are linked from the inedx of bonus material sticky thread above)
Cheers.

kryton
x2

Post by kryton » Tue, 21. Feb 06, 20:28

that's it I've had enough I've now named all my ships bit complicated theres forty of em ! and now Ive named em I keep loosing the buggers to unknown ships its getting so depressing I've lost the nterprise 6 times so far ......he he

Anubis192
x2

Post by Anubis192 » Sun, 8. Oct 06, 04:54

Hey guys,

The additional Ship Commands are there, I see them on my screen, but every time i press enter and access them, the only option i get is

None

Thats all it lets me do. Anybody know how to make more options available. I would really appreciate it, please.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”