Fast Weapon FX mod - faster frame rates w/ capital ships

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Reven
x4

Fast Weapon FX mod - faster frame rates w/ capital ships

Post by Reven » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 16:22

I've made a very simple mod based on Scoob's research. It changes the PPC weapon hit effect from the standard one to the Mass Driver effect. The effect that is shown when a PPC bullet hits a ship is very CPU intensive, and kills frame rates. The Mass Driver effect has been shown to be much easier on the CPU.

You can download the mod from ftp://ftp.excelcia.org/x2/mods/FastBulletFX.zip. Unzip it into your X2 folder and it will add two mods. One is "Fast Bullet FX", the other is "Fast Bullet FX - No Modified". Since you can only have one mod running at a time, I combined the "no modified" mod into this bullet fx mod in case you use it.

I have found that this helps performance with capital ships, especially when using the Hired Gunnery Crews turret scripts. You will see the most benefit from this when one capital ship is engaging another.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

Pinger
x2

Post by Pinger » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 16:36

@ egosoft how about this sorta Fixer mod on the signing bandwagon as well as scripts.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 18:05

Mods don't get signed.
A signed script adds functionality to the game.
Mods change things.
If the devs wanted something about the game to be different, they'd probably just make the core game that way.
Note that I am in no way biased against mods, I've made a few myself.
They just won't be signed.

That being said, this is an excellent fix for anyone having framerate problems in battle. Definitely check it out.
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 4. Nov 04, 18:43

Burianek I have a question is this mod compatible with your laser rebalance mod? As I don’t want to install it if it conflicts
=

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Fri, 5. Nov 04, 01:28

Yep, it uses TBullets.
So it will conflict.

You could merge them if you wanted, just extract the TBullets from my mod and change the one field (hit gfx) for the various weapons (Reven/Scoob's changes) and then repack it up.

On a side note, Reven I think you need to download the updated mod kit. I'm pretty sure the newer version will actually create folders when you extract a dat. The version you're using terminates unless the folders already exist (/types).
Just fyi, no big deal.

(Of course I may be wrong, I always forget whether it's this prob that was fixed or the game hang prob if you delete the mod before unselecting it in the splash screen)

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Fri, 5. Nov 04, 02:31

Actually, if you're having a problem it's because I got the name of a folder wrong in the catalog. The "No Modified" one is working, but not the other. Download the zip again and apply it.

I actually don't use the mod kit - I use X2Modder by OlisJ. Much friendlier than the command-line version.

EDIT: There isn't a procedure for signing mods simply because there is no procedure for reading a signed mod in the game. If I were to create a 05.cat/05.dat "mod" and put it in the main game folder rather than the "mods" folder, it would apply and the game couldn't tell the difference between it and a patch supplied by Egosoft.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Fri, 5. Nov 04, 03:29

Ahh, no wonder.
I was actually trying to extract the .dat file to my desktop.
Normally, if you pack your mod using x2build, it creates it in such a way that when you extract it with x2tool, it will create the /types folder (etc.) if it doesn't already exist.
If you use X2patch09b (or whatever it's called) by OlisJ, they are not created in this manner, and if you try to extract them to a directory that does not already include subdirectories (like /types) nothing happens.
Just in case you're curious.
(the command line driven x2tool is a bit more tedious to use, but I prefer it)
Your method also may lead to the dreaded 'hang the game if I delete the mod before unselecting in the splash screen' issue. I'm not 100% certain, just look out for that.

bullets fix.

Post by Guest » Tue, 14. Dec 04, 08:47

ive downloaded it un packed it but the mods select bar on my start up screen remains inacessible. is there any specific location i need to put the tbullets qucik fix file ? im very new to modding and scripting so please bear with me and my dubm ass questions :) after downloading and extracting the file i went back to xennon 472 to try it out and i still get ppc hit animations and slowdown . ive definatly done something wrong i guess .

Post by Guest » Tue, 14. Dec 04, 10:39

its ok peeps i managed to work it out for my self and now evry thing is as it shulod be . i moved the contents of the mod folder into the database folder and now it works ! no more frame rate drop . scoob for a knighthood perhaps? or head of dev net :D

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 01:56

entilzar wrote:scoob for a knighthood perhaps? or head of dev net :D
:D

Scoob.

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Fri, 7. Jan 05, 09:17

Burienak wrote
A signed script adds functionality to the game.
Mods change things.
Surely this mods adds functionality to the game in that it makes it playable during large battles.

The frame rates issue is forever being brought up, and while I might not understand the technical implications of this mod, this or a variant, should surely be considered by the Devs for inlcusion in the Return or as a signed plug-in.

Dont get me wrong I thing what Egosoft and Co, do in terms of the updates is fantastic, but I'm sure all those poor people that do struggle with frame rates will see this is a positive step forward, rather than recommendations to upgrade their hardware.

And nice work Reven and Scoob

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 7. Jan 05, 16:20

I don't think mods are capable of being signed, the signing functionality is built into the scripting engine. However since the only downside to a modded game is the "modified" tag, and since the mod includes the "no modified tag" mod, there ain't really a problem :)
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

stella
x2

Post by stella » Fri, 7. Jan 05, 16:29

That being said, this is an excellent fix for anyone having framerate problems in battle.
You mean there's someone out there who isn't???

:wink:
Attack enemies in radius -here

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”