Getting Started With Capturing Guide

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

4d
x3tc

Getting Started With Capturing Guide

Post by 4d » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 15:07

There are plenty of guides about capturing, but I decided to write one about how to start a game with capturing. Including how to fund your first wave of fabs.

Getting Started With Capturing
As restarting with the 1.4 update is a common thing, I decided to write a guide specificaly about how to start a new game in 1.4 and fund yourself with credits.

Ok, so you've just hit the new game button and been given a rubbish little Discovery (depening of difficulty level) and enough credits to buy a nothing or a nothing. Play through the first mission and spend all but money you get on wasp missiles and salvage insurance. We'll just say you have 12 wasps (a minimum of 3 is needed to cap a bayamon) and 4 salvage insurance.

Now go to Elena's Fortune (next to Presidents End). Before I go any further I will explain the difference the Khaak will make. (their invasion is triggered when you get within 3 sectors of brennan's truiamph after starting the 3rd mission and it is timed) With the 1.4 patch, it will take a lot longer to trigger the invasion if you leave it to the timer. Ok, untill the invasion we will be using the Disco and the pirate sectors surrounding Elena's fortune. Go looking for a lone Bayamon.

When you find the bayamon, get to a distance of about 8k and hit backspace (cut the engines). NOW PRESS CTRL + S AND SAVE. When your speed is 0 fire off 2 wasps about 1 second apart. Now hit tab (if you have boost extension) or just accelerate normaly. After the missile hit and bring the baymons shields to 0, orbit the bayamon until its shields are just over a quarter full and then fire just 1 missile. When the missile hits the pilot will either bail or continue trying to kill you. If the pilot has not bailed, reload you previous save.

With the money you make, spend some on wasps and some on salvage insurance. When you have about 9,00,000 spare credits (you can sell the shields from the argon express during mission 2 for an easy 4,00,000 credits), cap 1 more bayamon (or use a spare one if you have one) and repair its hull. Then buy 2 Ion Disruptors (found in Cloudbase South West), 2 Alpha Phased Shockwve Generators (found in Ceo's Buckziod) and 3 5MW Shields (found in Ceo's Buckziod). Also get a few dragonfly missiles if you can afford it (these will not be used for capping, but are extremely useful). It is more than likely the you will now have triggered the invasion 1 way or another and this will change the capping scene drasticley.

We will now be able to cap in Elena's Fortune now becasue the sector next door is President's End and the quickest way to the nearest shipyard to sell you caps. We will now do all our capping in Paranid sectors, mostly Priest Rings, with 1 priate base in that will supply us with easy pirate ship caps. We will also be selling our caps in the Paranid Prime shipyard. Go to priest rings, but make sure you have docking rights with the paranid and lots of salvage insurance.

When you're there stop engines and seta until and pirate craft comes along except a mandalay because they are useless. Get within 1.5 k of your cap target and hit backspace then save. Now blast away with your ion distruptors and PSGs until the target has bailed or his hull is below half or your shields are critical. If it is anything other than bailing reload. BTW it is not worth getting hull damage just to cap a ship. If you get hull damage, reload. Using this technique you can make more than make more than a million an hour.
Priming Your PC For X2 Guide:
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68241

Getting Started With Capturing Guide (X2)
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68718

Sirus5
x4

Capturing Guide

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 15:21

Good as it goes.....
However, you are obviously triggering the invasion.....
There are many people who don't want this, and my solution was as follows (starting in X-TREME):-

1. Find hidden containers in AP.... Until you can afford cargo to 30 and some decent speed (to around 160)...
2. Do mission 1 (to Ore Belt).... add more speed
3. Find hidden containers in CB SW (Goner Temple sector) all the way up to Kingdom End adding to speed first then cargo until speed is around 425...
4. Find containers all the way to Siezwell, then buy a Harrier...
5. Find Containers all the Way to Company Pride.... (you must have found some wasps amongst them.
6. Go into Thuruks Beard.... find a Bayamon and capture (using wasps)...
7. More containers until you have enough money for 2 Ions and 2 Alpha PSG's
8. Go back and accept mission2 (the Whiny Boron)... In this mission, you have pirates with super speeds (lots of enging tunings).....
9. Capture some and enjoy....

This way, you can avoid the invasion...
I now have around 80 million, 1 Split Elephant, around 4 Universe Traders, several dolphins etc.... only just launched first factory...
But no Khaak yet... I would like some M2's and corvettes in PE to see if I can save some of the silicon mines there during the invasion!!! They might be useful.

4d
x3tc

Re: Capturing Guide

Post by 4d » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 17:22

Sirus5 wrote:Good as it goes.....
However, you are obviously triggering the invasion.....
There are many people who don't want this, and my solution was as follows (starting in X-TREME):-

1. Find hidden containers in AP.... Until you can afford cargo to 30 and some decent speed (to around 160)...
2. Do mission 1 (to Ore Belt).... add more speed
3. Find hidden containers in CB SW (Goner Temple sector) all the way up to Kingdom End adding to speed first then cargo until speed is around 425...
4. Find containers all the way to Siezwell, then buy a Harrier...
5. Find Containers all the Way to Company Pride.... (you must have found some wasps amongst them.
6. Go into Thuruks Beard.... find a Bayamon and capture (using wasps)...
7. More containers until you have enough money for 2 Ions and 2 Alpha PSG's
8. Go back and accept mission2 (the Whiny Boron)... In this mission, you have pirates with super speeds (lots of enging tunings).....
9. Capture some and enjoy....

This way, you can avoid the invasion...
I now have around 80 million, 1 Split Elephant, around 4 Universe Traders, several dolphins etc.... only just launched first factory...
But no Khaak yet... I would like some M2's and corvettes in PE to see if I can save some of the silicon mines there during the invasion!!! They might be useful.
The invasion is inievitable - it will happen eventually happen. It is on a timer, my theory is it depends partly on seta. Anyway, the game is no fun without competion, and the xneon and pirates are nothing compared to the khaak.

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 17:32

You can prevent the Khaak invasion indefinitely as far as I've been able to determine.
Spoiler
Show
Perform all of the missions up to the "Scan the gate in Brennan's Triumph" mission. In other words you should just do what they say until you get to the Goner Temple. Go to the Goner Temple talk to the people there but don't go any tasks beyond this point.

Now do not go closer than jump 3 to sector Brennan's Triumph. My personal feeling is that this should be jump 2 but I'm not willing to do the test right now.

The Khaak invasion will trigger when you get within a certain distance of Brennan's Triumph.
I agree that the Khaak invasion was added to make the X2 universe more threatening. I do enjoy the challenge buy I'm still in the expansion stage of my empire building and need to go back and set up my sector defense before I'm willing to have them invade.

Be seeing you,
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Maximum476
x3tc

Post by Maximum476 » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 18:22

I'm fairly sure that the khaak invasion 3 sector thingy only happens when you've accepted mission 3, otherwise it uses other factors to determine invasion time (time, money etc).

And also I think its easy enough to get a bayamon just by equiping your disco with gires and maybe speed upgrades (tho if its alone and you keep on its tail you dont even need this). As for capping with ionds and and psgs, a bayamon with 4 bpacs (I used 3 which was fine, maybe even 2 will do) is much cheaper and can be used anywhere to cap orrinocos.
%41%72%65%20%79%6F%75%20%62%6F%72%65%64%3F%00

Sirus5
x4

Invasion

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 18:45

The invasion is NOT inevitable!!!

There were quite a lot of tests done some time ago (for people who didn't like the way the Khaak were implemented)....

Some people had no khaak at all and still don't...

Look at the posts.....

There are several triggers up to accepting mission 3.....
1. Time related
2. Combat Rating
3. Trader Rating
4. Several others simply speculated about.

Once you have accepted mission3 and have Brett following you in SaiienII everywhere, then as long as you don't go within 4 sectors of BT, you will not get the invasion.... That is where I am at 3 days total time....

If I go within 4 sectors of BT.... Boom, it happens, but if I stay away, it's quiet...

Ruh Roh
x2

Post by Ruh Roh » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 19:36

I decided to delay a little bit and do some capping in Pirate sectors early in the game.

I played through two, upgraded my Disco, capped a Bayamon, upgraded it. Then capped from there. However, after a while the invasion happened anyway.

Honestly it hasn't been a problem yet, occasionally I see them in secotrs but I placed my starting factories (SPP's so far) in protected sectors.. so... np..

Almost done with the story line now (last stage), Need to kill more soon... but i guess that comes with finally upgrading from my trusty M3... /whine
-Ruh Roh

Julius_Sneezer
x3

Post by Julius_Sneezer » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 20:53

I' played thru the whole game once. Now I restarted from scratch I only did one job, go to ore belt to drop off supplies. After starting almost penniless and saving for my first factory and without completing a mission the khaak invasion started!

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 21:09

Just so no one tries:

It's impossible to save any of PE when the Khaak invasion starts.

In fact putting any ship there when the invasion is triggered only gets destroyed. Even if you put hundreds of M2s there, they will just go. Check your message log afterwards. It'll say your..... was destroyed in sector Presidents End.

That really sucks... :(

Al
x3tc

Re: Getting Started With Capturing Guide

Post by Al » Thu, 11. Nov 04, 13:46

4d wrote:There are plenty of guides about capturing, but I decided to write one about how to start a game with capturing. Including how to fund your first wave of fabs.

As restarting with the 1.4 update is a common thing, I decided to write a guide specificaly about how to start a new game in 1.4 and fund yourself with credits.

Ok, so you've just hit the new game button and been given a rubbish little Discovery (depening of difficulty level) and enough credits to buy a nothing or a nothing. Play through the first mission and spend all but money you get on wasp missiles and salvage insurance. We'll just say you have 12 wasps (a minimum of 3 is needed to cap a bayamon) and 4 salvage insurance.

Now go to Elena's Fortune (next to Presidents End). Before I go any further I will explain the difference the Khaak will make. (their invasion is triggered when you get within 3 sectors of brennan's truiamph after starting the 3rd mission and it is timed) With the 1.4 patch, it will take a lot longer to trigger the invasion if you leave it to the timer. Ok, untill the invasion we will be using the Disco and the pirate sectors surrounding Elena's fortune. Go looking for a lone Bayamon.

When you find the bayamon, get to a distance of about 8k and hit backspace (cut the engines). NOW PRESS CTRL + S AND SAVE. When your speed is 0 fire off 2 wasps about 1 second apart. Now hit tab (if you have boost extension) or just accelerate normaly. After the missile hit and bring the baymons shields to 0, orbit the bayamon until its shields are just over a quarter full and then fire just 1 missile. When the missile hits the pilot will either bail or continue trying to kill you. If the pilot has not bailed, reload you previous save.

With the money you make, spend some on wasps and some on salvage insurance. When you have about 9,00,000 spare credits (you can sell the shields from the argon express during mission 2 for an easy 4,00,000 credits), cap 1 more bayamon (or use a spare one if you have one) and repair its hull. Then buy 2 Ion Disruptors (found in Cloudbase South West), 2 Alpha Phased Shockwve Generators (found in Ceo's Buckziod) and 3 5MW Shields (found in Ceo's Buckziod). Also get a few dragonfly missiles if you can afford it (these will not be used for capping, but are extremely useful). It is more than likely the you will now have triggered the invasion 1 way or another and this will change the capping scene drasticley.

We will now be able to cap in Elena's Fortune now becasue the sector next door is President's End and the quickest way to the nearest shipyard to sell you caps. We will now do all our capping in Paranid sectors, mostly Priest Rings, with 1 priate base in that will supply us with easy pirate ship caps. We will also be selling our caps in the Paranid Prime shipyard. Go to priest rings, but make sure you have docking rights with the paranid and lots of salvage insurance.

When you're there stop engines and seta until and pirate craft comes along except a mandalay because they are useless. Get within 1.5 k of your cap target and hit backspace then save. Now blast away with your ion distruptors and PSGs until the target has bailed or his hull is below half or your shields are critical. If it is anything other than bailing reload. BTW it is not worth getting hull damage just to cap a ship. If you get hull damage, reload. Using this technique you can make more than make more than a million an hour.
While I can see the intention of this guide, why do you say folks should reload as soon as anything goes wrong or they fail to capture. Its a bit like have a fixed trading run of unlimited minimum price silicon to somewhere which always pays max price and will buy as much as you can sell.

I guess its down to how you want to play the game but for me its about playing by the game rules, not trying your best to get round them.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

4d
x3tc

Re: Getting Started With Capturing Guide

Post by 4d » Thu, 11. Nov 04, 14:43

Al wrote:
4d wrote:There are plenty of guides about capturing, but I decided to write one about how to start a game with capturing. Including how to fund your first wave of fabs.

While I can see the intention of this guide, why do you say folks should reload as soon as anything goes wrong or they fail to capture. Its a bit like have a fixed trading run of unlimited minimum price silicon to somewhere which always pays max price and will buy as much as you can sell.

I guess its down to how you want to play the game but for me its about playing by the game rules, not trying your best to get round them.

Al
Reloading is necissary becasue at least 90% of the time when a ship gets down to the hull in a Disco or Bayamon, its gonna blow.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 11. Nov 04, 17:53

Only if you're careless, or use BHEPTs as capturing guns.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 11. Nov 04, 18:26

I think 4d was actually referring to the ship the player is flying.

However I still disagree with the reloading if it gets damaged. I take it as part of the lifestyle and if I survive to limp away from a fight with low hull and missing equipment it goes with the territory.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Alairon
x3tc

Post by Alairon » Thu, 11. Nov 04, 21:02

Al's right, if ya get ur arse nailed into the ground, u may as well have the honor to retreat and repair,
Spoiler
Show
*sighs* if only bret had the option to reload....

4d
x3tc

Post by 4d » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 15:05

Al wrote:I think 4d was actually referring to the ship the player is flying.

However I still disagree with the reloading if it gets damaged. I take it as part of the lifestyle and if I survive to limp away from a fight with low hull and missing equipment it goes with the territory.

Al
What's the point in limping away if you have no ship to linp away in? I always keeping firing utill my ship blows.

Drainy
x3tc

Post by Drainy » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 15:56

its a nice enough guide but I think Als covers a great deal more and cant see a need to have two guides on the same thing

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44104

4d
x3tc

Post by 4d » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 19:12

Drainy wrote:its a nice enough guide but I think Als covers a great deal more and cant see a need to have two guides on the same thing

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44104
You think its crap? My one does not attempt to tell you how to capture, but how to get started and fund fabs, etc through capturing. Thank you very much for your opinion, but I really couldn't care less. I'm not againts your guide Al, I do think its very helpful.

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 19:21

Umm 4d, you asked us for our opinions. When you do that you have to assume that not everyone will like it.

BTW, my personal opinion is that this belongs more along the lines of a "getting started" guide instead of a capture guide. Your guide provides good tips on how to start a life of capturing.

Be seeing you,
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Laziel

Post by Laziel » Thu, 19. Jun 08, 12:09

Where can i get Ion Disruptors?
Gamer

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 19. Jun 08, 12:13

Laziel wrote:Where can i get Ion Disruptors?
Why on earth did you ressurect a four-year old thread for that?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”