Dark Haven - Chapter 8

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

crunn
x4

Dark Haven - Chapter 8

Post by crunn » Fri, 9. May 03, 18:25

Chapter 1 (Fate of the Armadeaus)
Chapter 2 (Portents)
Chapter 3 (Passing of a Fantasy)
Chapter 4 (Fissures in the Dark)
Chapter 5 (Reminiscence)
Chapter 6 (Things that go Bump...)
Chapter 7 (The Rocky Road)

------------------------------------------
DARK HAVEN

Chapter 8 (Escape Plan)

'Ok, now I'm getting a little nervous.
Right enough side tracking, I need to get out of here fast.
C&C should tell me how to get to the docking bay and whether there are any ships docked.
I will have to assume the worst, that the power is out in the docking bay. C&C should be the easiest place to open the launch bay doors.'

'I'm in the corridor making my way back to the stairs.
The awful stench has lessened since leaving the room. It doesn't smell like rotting but it gives me the same feeling. The feeling of death and decay, the end of life. The source of the smell must have been from whatever that thing, that movement was.'

'I've now reached the next floor on the stairs.
A quick glance through the opening, I see that it's much the same as the floor below, again less debris.
This should be the top floor of guest quarters. Hmmmm, guest quarters, perhaps being so close to C&C these might be the command staff quarters.'

'The next flight of stairs is blocked by a small metal bar a little below waist height, easily stepped over. On it is painted a No Entry symbol.
The bar and paint have numerous scuff marks where clearly it has been stepped over many times before.
I pull on the catch and swing the bar open. I notice where the bar swings open to meet the wall there is a dent. The paint on the wall around it having flaked off long ago. Obviously this has seen much use, through haste or lack of care. No Argon station would have been left in this state, the slightest chip of paint is seen to within the day.'

'I've now arrived on the next floor, which is also the top floor.
As I step out into the corridor I notice that it goes in both directions, left and right. It is much wider than any of the previous. I don't expect it matters which way I go, both directions curve around, they probably meet the other side. This whole floor, if anything like Argon stations, is probably a ring running the full circumference of the station.
My head seems to have stopped bleeding, but the pain is no less.'

'Both directions look pretty much the same.'

=============================
(*** A quick survey for the readers.***)
Would you go left or right?
Are you left or right handed?
How much coffee do you drink?

'I'll take the left.
As far as I can see, before the curving obstructs my view, there are no doors on the right wall, just a diagram and a communications panel further up. The left wall has one door which I'm now approaching and another just past the comms panel.
This corridor is fully lit, the one panel I can see is still working. There doesn't appear to be any damage, no debris, no twisted fractures. It would seem that whatever was or is happening to this station hasn't reached this level, or hasn't yet.'

I'm now standing at the first door on the left. It's open, no not open, there is no door nor is there supposed to be, it's just a doorway. As I look in I see a small mess hall, soft seats around a low table, a counter with an FMS, more seats with tables near the windows. Similar in size and layout to that aboard the Armadeaus.'

'The Armadeaus... first trip out and lost with all hands... I wasn't even on board...
So many of my friends... and Lieutenant Cardain... Cellone... my lover.'

A single tear ran down Jacks face. He wiped it away with his blood stained glove.

'The light on the FMS is flashing. I'll step over and take a look.
As I open the small door of the FMS a familiar smell hits me. Coffee, Boron if I'm not mistaken. Ahh, I see the container on the shelf above. "Boron Seabean Coffee Richest Blend". It's the good stuff as well, the royal seal stamped on the label. Expensive and not easy to come by.
The cup and its contents are cold and the FMS shows that it completed its run. So it must have been sitting there a couple of hours at least.'

'I'm proceeding further along the corridor. Reaching the diagram and comms panel.
Excellent, the diagram shows the layout of this floor.
The corridor is a circle. The outside of the circle are sixteen rooms of varying size. The mess hall, conference rooms and offices. The inside of the circle is one very large room, Command and Control. There are three entrances to C&C, one should be just a little out of sight up on the right, one on the opposite side and the third half way between, the third being double doors.'

'Now I'm looking closer, I notice the wall around the diagram is covered in tiny cracks barely visible. I look further along, the same.
These cracks cover all the walls floor and ceiling.
What the hell is that? I can understand the huge fissures on the lower decks resulting from an attack of some sort, but there are just... just, I don't know what.'

'The door on the left to the first conference room is closed. I can see the door to C&C coming up on my right now, it's closed.
I press the touch pad and as it slides open the first thing I notice is a corpse lying just inside the doorway.
The corpse is a Split male lying face up wearing typical security style uniform. There is an insignia on his jacket, I recognise it, Pirate. I don't remember the clan name, but definitely pirate.
Perhaps the pirates attacked this station, that would explain a few things, not those black ships though.'

'As I look closer I see tiny spots of dry blood all over the body.
I look closer still and see something very disturbing. The entire body and its clothes are covered in minute stabbing and slashing marks, appearing like tiny cracks. The very same tiny cracks as on the walls of the corridor. The face contorted in seething agony, teeth showing.
Surprisingly little blood, only that dried over or around the cuts.
The security guard's short plasma riffle is still in his grasp. It might be an idea to take that.'

'I take hold of the barrel and lift the weapon, the arm lifts with it, the cold dead hand clutching as if its life depended on it, ironic.
As I try twisting the gun I notice the charge indicator shows empty. Still, I have a spare power clip for my pistol. A pistol clip won't give a riffle a full charge but fifteen riffle shots is better than an extra thirty for the pistol.'

'The damn hand refuses to let go. I could break the hand...'

The Captain looks around for something heavy to use. There is another corpse a little way across the room, partially obscured by a console.

'or... I could take the riffle off that other security guard over there.'

'As I walk towards the other guard I take a look around the room. Large, circular, very similar to an Argon stations C&C deck. Display panels around the wall, desks with control panels at regular intervals, each with a chair. A large table in the center of the room with the standard holographic display interface, off.'

'The second security guard is also a Split, same uniform, same insignia, same deadly cutting wounds. His riffle on the floor next to him.
I pick it up, this indicator also shows empty, so I remove the power clip and replace it with my spare. The quiet hum lets me know it is working and the indicator shows a half full charge.
I feel a little better having a decent weapon now.'

'There are eight other corpses in the room. Two Paranid, one other Split and five Teladi. All fallen onto or near the various consoles around the room, all with the same injuries. I assume they all died the same way at the same time.
All the blood dry, the corpses cold and rigour-mortis set in. So the attack on C&C must have been a good many hours ago, maybe a day or two, that may be consistent with the coffee. However the arm and the blood in the rooms below were very recent. This suggests either separate attacks or an ongoing attack. Whichever it is I don't want to be hanging around too long.'

'All of these people are pirate, I haven't seen anything yet that specifically indicates civilian. My guess is that this is a pirate station which has come under attack by force or forces unknown.
Also this being a pirate station explains the pictorial language on most of the consoles. It would make things easier for everyone being of different race.
Yes, most pirates tend to speak more than just their own language. But it simplifies things. I'll be suggesting this to AFC when I get back, or maybe I could sell the idea retire early. *chuckle* Now that really would annoy the pirates.'

'I have found the consoles controlling the docking bay. The view camera is out but all the information is displayed.
Most of the text is Teladi but the seven boxes, I assume to be seven docking bays, have symbols attached.
Four are empty and three occupied, the first two are freighters and the third a Bayamon.
The Bayamon will do me nicely, never actually flown one for real but I've had plenty practice with them in the sim.
Hell, a freighter will do if it gets me off this station.'

'The console layout is much the same as that of an Argon station, simple enough.
The air pressure indicator shows green.
This button should raise the force field around the launch bay doors, yes.
And this should open the doors, yes.
Air pressure still green, excellent.
Now how do I get to the docking bay?'

Monroe walks around the large circular room looking at each display until he finds a screen showing a 3D image of the station interior.

'Ah, this'll do. It looks like the damage reports. Several areas are flashing red, probably hull breaches.
There is the dock right at the bottom of the station, typical, and the launch bay doors at the side.
The main central elevator runs the full length of the station from the dock right up to the floor beneath me, a set of stairs the other side will take me to that floor.'

'Before I go I'll see if I can find log entries, might explain what happened.

'At the back of the room facing the table is a large decorative chair, obviously where the boss sits. In the chair is slumped one of the Teladi, a female. I've never really found the Teladi attractive, but this one has something about her, a quality, refinement, a commanding presence.
Her clothes are practical but still very elaborate, they are clearly expensive and display her obvious wealth and power.
She is undoubtedly the leader, the head of this station if not her entire clan.'

'I imagine she has the logs on her console.
Scroll down the list, there we go the station logs.
The time on the final entry is three days ago. I'll play that back.'

'The face of the Teladi female appears on the screen. She is talking, no almost shouting, clearly very distressed. The room around her is shaking much like it did to me earlier. Her words are Teladi, spoken quickly and desperately. I don't understand what she is saying. I would very much like to know though.'

'I don't have time to find a translator program or pad right now but I can download the last few logs to my wrist PDP.
The EVA's wrist personal data pad is not exactly designed to hold things the size of A/V station logs, but there should be enough room for the last two or three.'

'I've connected the PDP to the console and the logs are downloading now. Memory will be full in three, two, one.
Ok, that's three complete log entries and a few seconds of the fourth, in reverse time order.'

'Now to get to the docking bay.'

'The door opposite the one I came in will take me to the stairs.
The tremors have started again. They seem to be getting slightly more violent each time, I think the time gap between each is getting less.'

'I'm through the door, the stairs ahead of me.
I'll have to hold the hand rail to avoid falling with all the shaking.
The noise is louder too.
Nearly at the bottom, my head is throbbing almost unbearably now.'

'The main elevator should be around this corner to the right.
The tremors have almost subsided again.
I see the elevator doors, the power is working, I touch the button with the down arrow and I hear it moving up.
The doors open and I step in.'

'Less than a minute later the elevator reaches the bottom floor, the docking bay level.
The doors open and I step back out.
The first thing that hits me is the incredible stench, truly ungodly.
The airlock door ahead leads into the docking bay proper.'

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 10. May 03, 04:49

Very nice one, Crunn. There is clearly quite some tension building up. Looking forward to finding out what that stinking invisiblr something is.

Keep it coming.

Moss
x2

Re: Dark Haven - Chapter 8

Post by Moss » Sun, 11. May 03, 05:06

crunn wrote:
(*** A quick survey for the readers.***)
Would you go left or right?
Are you left or right handed?
How much coffee do you drink?

An excellent read, very descriptive and quite tense, I get the feeling (combined with earlier sections of the story in this station) that Monroe is being followed or watched as he moves about :o hehe still spooky.

As for the questions

i'd have gone right

right handed

bout 6 to 8 coffees a day

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Mon, 12. May 03, 15:11

Very good build up in tension...

Interesting C&C room commander dead in her chair, security guard weapons empty and no sign of any dead attackers... Makes me wonder what use the rifle will be with only half a charge...

Looking forward to more.

Oh and if both corridors are identical, I'd turn right.

Maybe 1 or 2 cups of coffee. But when I'm at work, like now, I drink 4 / 5 large mugs of tea.

Merc.
8)
Last edited by Mercenary on Mon, 12. May 03, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 12. May 03, 17:12

Looking good :)

Right handed;
Would have gone right;
Depends on how the day is going: anything from 2 to 10 cups!

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

crunn
x4

Post by crunn » Tue, 13. May 03, 02:13

Interesting. As I thought, right handed go right.
I'm left and I'd go left
(Monroe, haven't decided left or right, but If I ever needed to pick I'd probably make him left.)

Coffee, 3-4 on working days, 5-7 non-working days. (today only 2)

Merc "Makes me wonder what use the rifle will be with only half a charge..."
Probably very little, (you will soon find out :wink: ) but given the choice of a rifle with 15 shots or not, Monroe and crunn both take the rifle just incase :wink:
(hell, if there were more than one charged I'd start collecting them :D )

Glad you all liked/noticed the tension build up.
Do you think the first person perspective helps this or not or makes no difference?

Anyways, on with chapter9.
Sticking with Monroe and depending on the length ch9 may well conclude his exploration.

As always, thanks for the comments, always appreciated, suggestions even more so.

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Wed, 14. May 03, 10:26

crunn wrote:Do you think the first person perspective helps this or not or makes no difference?
I love it, while reading the Monroe sections its very easy to imagine that i'm there instead of him :)

Looking forward to more, keep it coming.

Return to “Creative Universe”