X - beyond the frontier - technical question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TimoftheC
x2

X - beyond the frontier - technical question

Post by TimoftheC » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 15:36

I've just brought XGold as X2 runs pretty poor on my computer and I gave up trying to play it :(

Got X-BTF loaded alright and the game seems to play ok. However, the on screen writing (help tips and then later communications) are corrupted and difficult to read. It means that when I'm dealing with the first alien species, I'm not sure what I am saying!!

If I try and change my graphic settings through the game it simply crashes to the blue screen of death and has lead to me having to restore my computer to an earlier point as on boot up the computer simply stops with a protection message.

I have also tried changing the graphic settings through the desktop prior to launching the game, but without it making any difference to the game.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can fix it?

I am running Windows ME, with 512MB Ram and a GEFORCE FX 5200 128MB graphics card.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 15:41

i have similar setup to you, and have no problems with x2, im running xp as well, all i have to do is stick to 800x600x32, and remove bumpmaps and shadows and the only time ive had slowdown from then on was in xi missions

youre system should run x2 no probs unless you keep shadows on

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 15:48

When the XBTF first screen comes up, deselect the 'Use settings' box. Always use the DX6 startup button (this works with all versions of direct X since DX6). Your machine will initially be in 640 x 480. Change screen resolution in Options, then hopefully your machine should be OK. :)
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 15:56

The graphic card that you have is on the slow side, but check you drivers, try reverting back to an older version, as some of the recent versions only support the recent games, and don’t have good suppoer for the old ones I might be wrong, but even then the most newest isn’t always the best

ME not a good OS, compared to 98se, but I can run the game in XP the only problem is the joystick throttle, so unsure about ME, also try using the patch that comes on XT, the directx optimised version and se if that helps, if not then I unsure what else to say

PS you can post Xbtf and XT tech problems in the tech support forum, it’s not just there for X2

Perhaps a mod IF YOU ASK VERY NICELY, one might move it across, be careful with the mods don’t upset them or else!!
=

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 17:28

The hint with DX6 should resolve your problem. However, Matthew is right. You should consider to change your OS. My son had loads of problems with ME but all of them vanish after installing W98SE.

Cheers Euclid

Edit: typo.E.
Last edited by euclid on Thu, 16. Dec 04, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 18:07

Thanks for that Euclid

From what I have read and been told ME is the worst OS ever made considering 95+ were very bad, if you have two hard drives then you could install 98se on it, just make sure that both aren’t connected at the same time otherwise you’ll end up with all sorts of problems,

Also make sure you ARE running 98 compatible drivers that won’t be easy as MS stopped supporting this still the best OS ever beats XP by miles
=

Rapier
x3tc

Re: X - beyond the frontier - technical question

Post by Rapier » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 19:25

TimoftheC wrote:I am running Windows ME
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

terrabyte
x3

Re: X - beyond the frontier - technical question

Post by terrabyte » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 21:06

Rapier wrote:
TimoftheC wrote:I am running Windows ME
aah so true.. the source of all problems :wink:
"I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe, hmmm."

Who am I :?: , I am but the sum of my experiences… and today I am more than I was yesterday. :goner:

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Thu, 16. Dec 04, 21:16

matthewfarmery wrote:Also make sure you ARE running 98 compatible drivers that won’t be easy as MS stopped supporting this still the best OS ever beats XP by miles
I run Win98SE. Microsoft has, at least for now, changed it's mind and is still supporting W98SE. I can get the patch downloads from the MS update site and things like MSDE still are rated for W98. Also there is a Patch CD available for W98.

I guess too many people complaned, since XT does not run on many older computers. :wink:
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 17. Dec 04, 00:06

Well I am suprised

finaly people power to make a large corp change it's mind

Thanks for that, I feel a LOT happiler now that there is some support for the BEST OS EVER PERIOD

never know I might dig up my old copy of Xbft
now then where did I put it...........?
=

TimoftheC
x2

Post by TimoftheC » Fri, 17. Dec 04, 18:07

matthewfarmery wrote:
PS you can post Xbtf and XT tech problems in the tech support forum, it’s not just there for X2

Perhaps a mod IF YOU ASK VERY NICELY, one might move it across, be careful with the mods don’t upset them or else!!
Thanks Matthew, a quick question though, how do I ask a MOD (Moderator?) to move this across to the tech support forum.

To the other posts - thanx for that, I am beginning to think that ME is a bag of *&^%. I use XP at work and although not a fan to begin with, I am beginning to like what I see. Maybe Santa'll get me a copy for christmans :D

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 17. Dec 04, 18:10

We'll leave support for X-Btf and X-Tension on this forum - a player of these games may not necessarily be a registered user of X² which they would have to be to access Tech Support forum.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 17. Dec 04, 19:09

I thought the X support was for all games, I am wrong accept my apologies mods,
=

TimoftheC
x2

Post by TimoftheC » Sat, 18. Dec 04, 00:51

Sir Moderator,

Seeing as you are reading these posts, any chance that you might have an answer to my original post and my problem with X-BTF?

I'm even thinking of changing my OS back to win98se following some of the feed back here, although if I can solve the problem without such a drastic step I will.

Thanx

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sat, 18. Dec 04, 08:25

Whilst I agree with other about Win ME, I would just simply try an uninstall and re-install and try again. It sounds like the game is corrupted if the text if not displaying correctly.

Check the downloads page on thie site as well - there is one further patch for X-Btf beyond the X-Gold disc which is 1.96 - this may assist a bit.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”