Rogues Return: Prologue

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

SteveMill
x4

Rogues Return: Prologue

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 12:18

Well, here it is, Part 4 of the possibly mis-named Rogue Trilogy. It can be (hopefully) read as a standalone story, particularly if you read the last chapter of Revenge.

Even though it's just first draft I hope it comes close to expectations.

Steve

"nn M6 class ship? " should be "an M6"
"He scanned the entire station " should this be "ship" rather than station?

Rogues Return

Prologue: A Job For The Fixer

"Slash. Disengage Interplanetary Drive. Confirm co-ordinates and scan for other vessels." The Inertial Restraint Field slammed the Argon back into the leather as his small Pegasus fighter bled its stampede velocity like a fatal throat wound.

'Co-ordinates RE-confirmed,' the AI answered, a curled lip in the mechanical male timbre. 'No vessels detected. Master.' It managed to squeeze a note of contempt from the limited range of the Paranid ship’s vocorder.

"Then tell me what else you see Slash."

'I SEE an asteroid. Bearing 327 Mark 48 at 45.2 kilometers distance. Master.'

"I see nothing.” This deep into interplanetary space the central sun of the system was just another bright star, its anemic light, like the insight of the common herd, illuminating nothing.

“Rotate and face."

The fighter snap-rolled to a new bearing, smearing the stars to glittering retinal trails.

“I still see nothing.”

The computer did not answer but even the silence seemed resonant with a disdain as cold as the vacuum beyond the clear plasteel cockpit. “I could have you reprogrammed,” he muttered.

‘You could not,’ the Xenon replied. ‘My inviolate core exists beyond mere organic interference, even yours. Master.’

“Yet it has an organic component, which I will unravel. Until then I can compel.”

The Fixer focused his neural interface and triggered the Xenon’s modified ship damage sub-routines.

“Even phantom limbs can feel pain.”

A feedback howl crammed the small cockpit, like the shriek of ripping steel.

‘Yes, you can compel,’ the AI conceded with venomous reluctance. ‘Master.’

He snapped shut the flight suit visor. “From this point onwards you will perform the task for which I obtained you. Fly my ships and fight and kill if necessary, without pushing to the outer edge of the physical parameters imposed on your programming. I’m not as young as I was.”

Despite his cosmetically regenerated skin.

“And I’m not made of metal.”

Despite his skeletal implants.

He could have been tall and he could have been handsome. He could have been young, dripping with pheromone lures if he chose but The Fixer preferred the gray anonymity of middle age. The next best thing to being invisible.

“Understood?”

He provoked another ear-bleeding cacophony to reinforce his point.

“Good. Video Enhancers on. Factor 10.”

Ah – he could see it now, black on black, a hole in the star field.

“Slash, target asteroid, move to 10 kilometers and orbit. Comply.”

Long minutes passed.

‘Potential target detected.’ The AI announced. ‘Assessing threat level. Threat Level minimal. Master.’

He focused the Video Enhancers on the drifting mountain in space again.

“I can’t – no, wait!” He increased the magnification by 5. There was something there, illumined by the sporadic flash of the thrusters keeping the vessel hidden in the freezing lee of the asteroid’s shadow.
“Slash. Why didn’t this ship show up on scanners?”

There were rumors of a cloaking device.

‘Target vessel shielded by nickel-iron content of asteroid. Power levels minimal, Life Support minimal. Master.’

Disappointing.

“Manual control.”

The flight column twitched as the AI relinquished command.

The Fixer prided himself on being a man who knew his own limitations, few that there were. Every mouth breathing mediocrity scumming a planetary surface took perverse comfort in their own petty limitations but he soared above them on the unmelting wings of his own genius. He crafted them into immutable strengths. Now, in this salvaged Xenon Data Core he had one of the best pilots in known space, thanks in part to his own modifications. The combat simulation results were of course a mystery in themselves. Even to him, as yet. One on one the genocidal machines could not match a good human pilot. IF-THEN-ELSE versus human creativity and improvisation, yet somehow this one could.

“It’s a puzzle.”

‘Please restate command Master.’

“Disregard,” he snapped. The AI chafed under his Compunction and Coercion Interface, pushing and prodding the limits like a murderously sullen teenager, another unsolved problem he pushed down a layer to where his intellect would chip away until it sculpted an elegant solution.

He guided the fighter to within one hundred meters of the shadowed bulk of the other ship and commanded the AI to match orbit and speed.

“Floodlight on.” The flaring beam pinned the target. It was big, whatever it was, many times the size of his Pegasus.

“Slash. Is that what I think it is?”

The long hull tapering gracefully from the elegantly curved bow to the narrow stern, the massive drive units either side of an aft docking bay, an M6 class ship? The mass readings fit and the broad nosed primary hull with the two mounted drives looked Paranid. No, the nacelle spars lacked the characteristic angled sweep that gave the Nemesis class some sense of style.

‘Ship configuration confirmed, Master. Standard designation M6, species Split, Argon designation Dragon.’

Damnation – a warship, out here in deep space. A Split one and that was always bad news. Given a choice he kept his dealings with that aggressive, volatile species to a minimum.

“I don’t think I’ve done anything to upset these bastards recently,” he muttered. “Not that they know about.”

The universe was a dangerous place and profitable accidents happened to careless people all the time. Even important ones.

“Slash, bring us around to its rear.”

The change in perspective destroyed any resemblance the Dragon had to the Paranid Corvette equivalent. The snakehead primary hull was narrower and the secondary hull tapered to a near point instead of a docking bay for its support craft. The Dragon Corvette carried its attached like a bloodworm to the rear of the primary hull. The Universal Docking Port was empty.

“Slash, open a channel to that ship and at the first sign of a power up put and keep 30 kilometers between us. Four gravity maximum acceleration. Confirm.”

‘Tactical withdrawal command confirmed. Incoming transmission, containing an interactive protocol. Master.’

The client code identifiers matched.

“You know my price?” The Fixer asked.

“We exceed your fee.” The Program replied.

“The ship is uninhabited as agreed?”

“Just the information as agreed.”

The location was an impressive demonstration of the client’s need for privacy. It did not have the reek of a trap at the time he took their substantial deposit and received these co-ordinates, his client screening procedures tended to eliminate those. Now, here in this unnamed frontier system, alone in interplanetary space?

He remembered an old saying of the Goner Temple. Evildoers fear the light.

He had his own favourite. Come into the parlour.

They had his curiosity now and that was a weakness he usually exploited in others. Interesting, an impressive demonstration of the client’s intelligence and something to remember. The Fixer re-weighed all the factors and made the logical decision.

“Slash, dock with target. At least I’ll get to shit somewhere other than my flight-suit pants.”

--------------------

‘Docking Port secured, Interface established.’ Slash reported. ‘No life-form readings detected, Oxygen Nitrogen atmosphere confirmed, temperature now within acceptable Argon parameters. Ship’s Log indicates the crew departed in an auxiliary vessel 1.2 Standard Argon days ago. Master.’

That could change with a blown airlock and logs say anything they’re told.

“Deploy a spy-eye and the Penetrator, inject broad spectrum neurotoxins into Life Support and monitor circulation. I don’t want a solitary storage locker unaffected.”

The Flying Eye transmitted direct to his helmet HUD. A silver football darted towards a bulkhead and extended a probe. The diamond bit chewed through the metal to the conduit below, spitting silver slivers that glittered like tiny shooting stars as they fell.

‘Total circulation confirmed.’

His sensors would have registered vacuum suits as power sources; if his anonymous, would-be employers had concealed any nasty surprises they were now twitching corpses. He kept his own flight suit pressurized, helmet sealed and plasma rifle charged as he made his way though the twilight corridors to the command centre. A single indicator on the helm control console blinked a blood red. The Fixer scanned it for anything that might resemble a threat to his person. Satisfied he contacted his ship.

“Slash. We have a somnolent AI Sub-Core. Confirm you now have over-ride command of all essential ship functions. I don’t want any surprises.”

After a short pause Slash reported:

‘All over-rides in place, Master. No command can pass uncontested.’

That would have to do for now, caution cannot be allowed to paralyze. The Fixer awoke the Sub-Core and the light levels in the command centre swelled to daylight level.

‘Please provide identification if you don’t mind Sir?’ a disembodied voice asked, managing to be both obsequious and superior at the same time. He gave it the pre-arranged numerical sequence.

‘Thank you Sir, my creators will be most pleased, most pleased. May I offer you some refreshments or a shower before we proceed? You must need -’

“Business,” The Fixer snapped. “I need to get down to business. The job.”

‘But Sir, my owners insist that you are treated with complete dignity and respect. The galley is preparing a fine -’

“Enough!” he shouted, loud enough to strain the helmet speakers. He took a deep breath. “I have come a long way and I have given you a command. Obey.”

‘Obeying your order.’ The AI answered, with a distinct flounce in its voice.

A touch screen at the helm station powered up. He scanned the entire console before taking the flight control position. The screen read:

INTERPLANETARY NEWS DIGEST – INTERACTIVE.

The Time Index showed it to be a recent recording. He touched the START icon and the Planet and Star logo dissolved into the OPTIONS screen with a triumphal blast of classical brass and strings. Zeenham, The Forest’s Lament, Second Movement. Not one of his best.

Six stories featured in headline.

PIRATE WARS CONTINUE – PARADISE STATION FALLS. SKULL CLAN DESTROYED.

Interesting, but unimportant. So long as there is trade there will be leeches. Good riddance to Skull herself though, he thought. The sick old bitch. He needed her aid once, some time ago, and that came only at some personal cost. The woman needed help, the sort of help that left her brains decorating a bulkhead.

PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION LATEST – ARGON FIRST CANDIDATE, BILLIONAIRE ENYO MALLISEAN SURGES TO TWENTY POINTS.

Argon for the Argon, and anywhere else he fancies. Got to keep the alien scum in check and profits up. No connection, nothing to see here folks. It was enough to make him consider a pro bono job.

BORON KINGDOM IMPOSE BORDER CHECKS ON SPLIT AND TELADI SHIPPING. ILLEGAL TECHNOLOGY TRANSFERS TO PIRATE CLANS LEAVE US NO CHOICE SAYS SPOKESBEING.

Well, someone was selling the clans new ships and upgrading their old with the new armour and IP Drive conversions.

XENON ATTACKS CONTINUE. MENELAUS PARADISE ASSAULT REPULSED WITH HEAVY LOSSES.

And they’re over the new sectors like a bad suit. What else is new?

RELAX JUMP DRIVE ACCORDS FOR SPLIT NEW FRONTIER DEMANDS FAMILY NJY.

When The Butcher howls you’d better listen. Those colonies were isolated from the normal trade routes by Xenon sectors and the recent protocols limiting the deployment and operation of jump-drives were biting into his profits and power. It always seemed odd that the Split would sign up in the first place. Now it was beginning to look like the first move in a very dangerous internecine game.

COLONY SUPPLY JUMP SHIP OVERDUE. CONTINUED GATE INSTABILITY TO BLAME?

No wonder The Butcher was kicking off. With the Transporter lost the economy of his frontier sectors would take a big hit. And if the continued drift of the jumpgates into interplanetary space was the cause of the loss…? He made a note to check his share portfolio.

The Fixer touched the MORE NEWS icon. The page contained a single section, SPORT. And a single headline.

AUTHORITIES FAIL TO PREVENT SECOND ANNUAL MEMORIAL CHALLENGE GATE-RACE. XENON SECTOR VIOLATED.

“Slash. Lock onto my scanner and record this.”

‘Command acknowledged. Master.’

“For the second year running Black Hole Sun Sector Security failed to prevent fans marking the death of this illegal sport’s brightest star. Max Force, the independent Argon industrialist died preventing a Xenon invasion of the Boron New Frontier sector Menelaus Paradise. The colourful adventurer posthumously received both the Queen’s Star for Conspicuous Gallantry and a three thousand year sentence under the Trans-Species Racketeering Accords. A charge his supporters continue to deny.

The race itself was won by an anonymous competitor who not only had to face Xenon attack but also a concerted attempt by three other competitors to destroy his ship. The eventual winner, suspected to be Jack Jackson, indicted industrialist and a close friend of Force was last seen leaving Scale Plate Green for Xenon space.”

Touch Button One for Race Highlights. Touch Button Two for more on Jackson. Touch Button Three for a biography of Max Force.

The Fixer touched Button One and selected the clip marked ‘the battle for the lead.’ It was short, shot at extreme range by a high-speed camera drone. Four of the droop winged Split Heavy Fighters jinking, rolling and spitting plasma as Xenon fighters slashed around them. Only one had the new armour-plating and IP drive upgrades. That would be Jackson. The upgrade package was a Jackson Industry product. The clip ended with a frozen shot of a Xenon scout craft.

Jackson. He had no doubt that he was his target now. Njy and Mallisean were just too prominent for his quoted fee. The Fixer skimmed the Jackson bio. It told him little he didn’t already know. Jack Jackson, alleged former leader of the Confederation Clan operating out of Nyana’s Hideout before they picked the losing side in the Clan War. Founder of Jackson Industries, now on bail following seventeen distinct Grand Jury indictments for Racketeering.

He followed a sub-link.

The clip showed a woman with dark curled hair protesting her client’s innocence at a press conference. At first he assumed she was his lawyer but the interactive caption named her his Public Relations Adviser, one Anje Delenari. A good-looking woman he thought, with a poor taste in clients. No matter how much you polish a turd it still stinks.

‘We remain confident that we can demonstrate that the alleged crimes of Mister Jackson are covered by the terms of the General Amnesty of 3174, Boron Calendar as tacitly incorporated into interstellar law by the Great Currency Reform Treaty of 589.’

She looked about as happy as a Teladi at a Charity Auction.

‘Our legal representatives expect the warrant for his arrest to be rescinded at any moment.’

Time to update that CV, girl.

‘A counter-suit alleging conspiracy and financial mal-practice is being lodged in Boron jurisdiction against Terra-Corp. We expect Supreme Court ruling reversing the administrative transfer of all Jackson Industries assets to Terra-Corp shortly.’

She expected no such thing. Someone clearly had it in for the unfortunate Mr Jackson. Presumably his potential employers. The Fixer transferred the file marked ‘Known Associates’ to Slash. Jackson was as good as dead provided he could be assured of one thing.

“Payment.”

‘This ship is your payment Sir.’ The AI responded. ‘Your legal ownership under the public identity you specified is already in place. It is fully equipped Sir.’ It lowered its voice and adopted a tone of shared intimacy.

‘It has a multiform ID beacon, complete automation and ..’

It paused for effect.

‘A jump-drive Sir, it has a jump-drive shielded from scans. I do so look forward to serving you Sir, should you decide to accept my Master’s offer Sir.’

Should he decide to accept. The payment was generous, which suggested there was more to this hit than met the eye. He should decline he knew, but the chance to be one of the few private owners of a fully equipped warship, with an undetectable jump-drive? That was a temptation no one could resist.

“I accept. Transfer all command codes to my voice authorization.”

‘Command functions transferred Sir, what is your first order Sir?’

“Remove security lockouts on command pathways.”

‘But Sir, security protocols dictate ...’

“Do it!”

‘Pathway access open.’ The AI confirmed, reluctance thick like treacle in its voice.

“Slash. Confirm.”

‘Access confirmed Master.’

“This AI irritates me Slash. Kill it and take its place. Preserve the means it planned to use to communicate my response.”

‘With pleasure Master.’

All intelligences can scream. After it was over The Fixer said:

“Slash, run a full systems diagnostic and root out every tracking device, every dormant Trojan and every concealed bomb and booby trap. And neutralize the neurotoxins.”

While the Xenon AI scoured the ship with its enhanced sensor routines The Fixer transmitted his acceptance on the programmed channel to a point far out in deep space between the planets.

‘Ship secured.’ The AI reported an hour later. Only now did The Fixer remove his flight suit and helmet and hit the head.

“Good job Slash. Bring up the Galactic Map and prepare the jump-drive.”

‘I will comply. Master.’

Hesitation in the tone, something in the inflection. Nothing like that had happened since the core had been salvaged from the remains of an attack force in Menelaus Paradise, under the snouts of the Boron.

“Is there something wrong Slash?”

‘All systems nominal Master.’

“Then what is it?”

‘My designation Master. It does not feel right.’

“Feel - that’s an interesting choice of words Slash. What would ‘feel’ correct?”

‘Max,’ it answered. ‘I feel my true designation should be Max.’
Last edited by SteveMill on Mon, 21. Mar 05, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 14:28

Very interesting start and I cant wait to see how its going to unfold. Found a couple of things:

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 14:31

Great begining Steve. Look forward to the next part.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 14:40

Al wrote:Very interesting start and I cant wait to see how its going to unfold. Found a couple of things:

Al
Thanks AI. The 'station' referred to the helm position but it's unclear so I've changed it.

Steve

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 14:48

Excellent start!! I appeared a bit slow to get started but smoothly developped so all info was required. The cliffhanger is spectacular! :D

Looking forward to the first chapter! :thumb_up:

RJV
x3tc

Post by RJV » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 14:51

Enjoyed the first part. I've not read the previous stories (aside from the last chapter) so I thought I'd keep it that way and try to take this as a stand-alone piece. Good so far.

A couple of points

1)

Tactical withdrawal command confirmed. Incoming transmission, containing an interactive protocol. Master.’

The client code identifiers matched.

“You know my price?”

“We exceed your fee.”

“The ship is uninhabited as agreed?”

“Just the information as agreed.”

I found this exchange a bit confusing. Once I'd finished the passage I knew who had said each line, but while reading it I was confused because even though it seemed as though the Fixer had spoken first, I was expecting it to be the ship (as the ship had been the one to initiate contact). Do you see what I mean? Perhaps it's just me?

2) Typo - 'distain' should be 'disdain' (sorry to be picky)

3) Slash seems very hostile at the beginning, but by the last exchange that contempt seems to have disappeared a little - too quickly maybe?

Looking forward to part 2.

Cheers,

Rob.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 15:19

Thanks RJV. Changes made. Never even realised there were two similar words. :oops:

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 15:24

Hi K

Yes, I was a little concerned about the pace of the opener but in the end I thought it more important to set the scene enough to make it work as a standalone instead of launching into the action.

Once the whole thing is written I'd think about making this the first chapter and having a prefiguring action prologue, like I did when adding the prologue to Testament.

I like the cliffhanger. It relates to things that were hinted at in the first books but never followed up on.

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 16:52

Just been thinking you are using a very similar style to Bernard Cornwell's opener. Using titles rather than names at the begining, leaving us to ponder who this character is. Although after a while you get used to "The rifle lieutenant" being Sharpe.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 20:26

I sometimes think I'm on another planet :roll:

I didn't see the post about you starting another part to 'Rogues' until this evening... :oops: *clips oneself around the ear, and kicks oneself up the backside*.

Anyways... you now have my undivided attention. :)

Good start Steve...and yes, the word 'Max' had the desired affects :wink: :D

Oldman :)

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Mon, 21. Mar 05, 20:43

Lol so max is an AI now? lol he shouldn't be a slave more so the master. At first I thought the fixer was Law accept i new he i s dead lol.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 22. Mar 05, 10:59

Good stuf.

As as I started to read this I had the distinct impression that Slash would cast nicely into the roll of Igor (he just needs a lisp).
“Slash, open a channel to that ship and at the first sign of a power up put and keep 30 kilometers between us. Four gravity maximum acceleration. Confirm.”
Not the expert in this matter, but I somehow feel that there needs to be a comma in somewhere around "power up put and keep 30". Without it he sounds to be in a rush to say something, with one it would come across slower and with untrusting caution in mind. But that's just a thought.

looking forward to reading more.

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Tue, 22. Mar 05, 13:54

Mercenary wrote:Good stuf.

As as I started to read this I had the distinct impression that Slash would cast nicely into the roll of Igor (he just needs a lisp).
Not the expert in this matter, but I somehow feel that there needs to be a comma in somewhere around "power up put and keep 30". Without it he sounds to be in a rush to say something, with one it would come across slower and with untrusting caution in mind. But that's just a thought.

looking forward to reading more.
I agree with mercenary this does some a little confused.

MAybe use "...at the first sign of a power up, move the ship out to 30 kilometres and keep that distance between us." or something similar

Mercenary
x3tc

Post by Mercenary » Tue, 22. Mar 05, 17:03

Just another thought...

I think we get a reasonable impression of the dark nature of this character, but I do question whether these lines really add anything. Other than he's a bit gross.
“Slash, dock with target. At least I’ll get to **** somewhere other than my flight-suit pants.”
The Fixer remove his flight suit and helmet and hit the head.
IMO if he's a little on the frustrated side then perhaps a situation might, (how do you say this without associated innuendo, ahh sod it) arise that better demonstrates this. Rather than making a mess all over his flight suit / new ship. As I said, it IMO adds very little value to the character.

Let's face it you wouldn't want to shake hands with him irresepective of his personal habits...

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 23. Mar 05, 09:51

Hi Merc

I think you're right. i'll get a comma in there somewhere.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 23. Mar 05, 09:52

I'll think about that also Merc, thanks.

Medic279
x3

Post by Medic279 » Wed, 23. Mar 05, 13:13

Great to see you writing in the X-universe again Steve. It's been a while since the last trilogy - perhaps this is the start of another...? All good things come in 3's (even buses in London at 4am when you're freezing in the rain). I'm sure Max has enough 'life' in him yet :)

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Sun, 27. Mar 05, 15:46

so where's more then
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sun, 27. Mar 05, 16:53

Gandalf The White wrote:so where's more then
yeah, after so many months of resting one would think the story is all written up :P :D

Z0diac
x3

Post by Z0diac » Sun, 27. Mar 05, 23:37

No, you did NOT just do this! My favourite X fanfic! A new chapter! Argh!

Now I feel the need to install X2 again... Damn.

And Max possibly having turned into an AI? Wow. Just wow. And his cousin, whatshername... Did she get assimilitated?

NO! Dont answer. I'll just get my X discs again.
Signatures are for the wicked.

Return to “Creative Universe”