Dogs of Straw Chapter 2

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Ronin677
x3tc

Dogs of Straw Chapter 2

Post by Ronin677 » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 17:09

Hello again :) here is the 2nd chapter, sorry for the delay

Chapter 2

The pressurisation suit landed in a crumpled heap in the corner of the room, closely followed by under garments and her watch. Savouring the feel of the water vapour on her skin, Ronin slowly lowered her left foot onto the warm water. Her foot jerked upwards sharply as the hot liquid burnt her toes.
“Ouch” she muttered.
She wrapped her hands around the throbbing toes and rubbed them, before adding more cold into the bath.
A little more attentively she lowered her body into the soothing water. The warmth spreading through her as she was slowly enveloped in large silky, soft bubbles.
Allowing her head to tilt backwards, her reddish auburn hair sank into the water as it rose and closed over her ears and neck. She looked upwards at the hidden spot lights in the ceiling. The steam seemed to collect around the lamps, resulting in opaque swirling displays of vapour. Tiny specs of light in the stygian blackness of space.
“No” she gasped.
She sat up violently, causing the water to surge forwards and backwards before cascading over the side of the bath. Soap bubbles slid down her torso, gliding over her glistening pale skin.
“Calm thoughts” she said to herself.
“Just another job”.
She was right, it was just another job and there would be plenty more. If not for her then for someone else. Granted, someone usually did die, but then didn’t they deserve it? No one is innocent, some are just more guilty then others.
She slid back down into the water allowing it to wash over her body. The five thousand credits from the hit would at least pay for the recent repairs and service to the Perseus, whilst leaving a little bit for living. Sinking down a bit further, her head disappeared under the bubbles.

The artificial light reflected softly off the wet footprints leading from the bathroom, a trail of them leading to the kitchen. Ronin was just placing the salad on her plate when a shrill beep resounded from intercom in the hall way. Grabbing her gown and wrapping it around her, she walked to the front door and squinted through the spy hole. In the viewport, a middle aged man, his head distorted by the convex lens, was glancing down at his own boots whilst running a gnarled hand through locks of tangled, wavy blonde hair. He looked up as Ronin opened the door.
“Hi Ronin, thought I’d pop by to see if you were ok”
“Hi ya Tamworth, come in, its cold out here in the corridor” she replied.
The man followed her into the apartment, his eyes roaming downwards from her neck to her thighs.
“You should put some clothes on then.” he retorted. “We’re civilised around here you know” he added.
Stopping in her tracks, she turned and stared at him.
“Clothes” he said. “You should try them, they make all the difference”.
The quirky smile on his lips gave the game away and Ronin smiled back.
“Its good to see you Tamworth, coffee or tea?”
She offered him a seat and sat down opposite him, pulling the long gown tight around her legs. Taking a sip of his coffee, he nodded.
“That was good work out there today. You really caught him off guard.”
Ronin stared at her toe nails.
“It was an easy job, didn’t even take a hit.” Her voice was emotionless, empty.
“The money will be transferred into your account upon verification from the Paranid authorities.” added the man. An unbroken silence followed.
He took a last mouthful of coffee, placed the cup on the floor and stood up.
“Look, me and Naris and going to be in Jesse’s later this evening. Why not come along, we could do with someone to liven the evening up.”
Standing up, she turned to face him, her face level with his.
“Yer, why not, I havn’t got anything else on.”
Tamworth looked at her.
“Obviously.” He replied smiling.
“Go on and get out, I’ll see you and Naris later.”
Opening the door, she stepped to one side. He stepped past her and hesitated. Catching her gaze he opened his mouth, about to speak. She paused, raised her eye brows inquiringly.
“See you soon.” She quickly added before he could speak. Tamworth nodded.
The sound of his footsteps faded down the corridor before she finally closed the door. The click of the lock echoed through the hallway. With her hand still on the lock she leant against the wall, the cold surface penetrating into her temple.

She ate her meal whilst watching the entertainment channel, a shot of gin helping the food go down. Then moving to the bathroom she studied herself in the mirror. A pale, care free face, crowned with long red hair stared back through gentle hazel eyes.
“Come on girl, let’s sort you out.”
Just over an hour later Ronin entered the bar known locally as Jessies. Dressed in black cargo pants, boots and a flight top, she felt good about herself. Jan Rivers caught her eye as she walked past him. The docking engineer smiled up at her.
“Hey Red, how’s tricks? I thought you were deliberately avoiding me”
Ronin swung her head around to face him as she walked past. Bright cosmetic green contact lens emphasising her red hair.
“Jan, you know I would never avoid you, sweetheart. I’ll see you in a bit lovey, you can buy me a drink.” she smiled.
Reaching the bar she sat herself down and ordered another gin. She felt in the mood for gin today, and in her opinion had earned it.
Taking the lemon slice from her glass and sucking it, Ronin glanced to her right as a figure sat down next to her.
Ronin studied the woman sitting next her. The other woman returned the look and turned away.
“You made it then.” The voice made her jump.
“Glad you could make it, what you drinking?” Tamworth remarked.
“Gin and I already got one thanks.” Ronin glanced past him towards the smiling woman standing behind him.
“Hi Nas, he dragged you out as well then?”
Tamworth sat down to Ronin’s left, whilst Naris hovered behind her. The woman sitting beside her picked up her drink and retreated to another area of the bar.
“Must be something I said,” stated Naris, as she quickly sat down on the vacant seat.
Ronin laughed out loud.
“You, saying something to offend someone. You wouldn’t even know how.” She stammered through the laughter, spilling her drink over herself in the process.
Looking offended Naris ordered a round of drinks.
“Who invited you along.” A wink and a smile accompanied the comment.

The three companions could be seen sitting together through the haze of tobacco smoke filling the bar. It was now late evening and the three had been drinking for several hours.
“So you interested or you just going to mess me about? May be I should I take my offer to someone else?” slurred Tamworth.
“The thing with you” rebuked Naris. “Is that you always seem to offer us the crap!”
Tamworth looked stunned for a moment.
“The crap! What you on about woman? That crap is worth real collateral in any ones book.”
Naris was on a roll, or may be it was the cheap Corithean wine. Either way she was up for the take.
“Ok what exactly are you offering us Tamworth? All you seem to have done so far is gone around in circles and bitten Naris on the arse.” Ronin looked apologetically at Naris. “it’s a euphemism, don’t look at me like that” she added quickly to Naris, Tamworth raised an eyebrow.
“Bung that in on the deal and the contract is yours.” He replied smiling.

The contract as he so cautiously put it was simple but dangerous. A Teladian crime lord, wanted in 6 different systems, had holded up in a Paranid station. The job was to go in, locate and kill, execution of the task was deliberately left open.
“So ARE YOU INTERESTED?” It was said with an air of monotony in his voice.
“Five thousand credits and salvage on any ships left in the docking bays”. Bartered Ronin.
The salvage on the ships could be worth more than double the hit fee, Tamworth usually got his slice of the action from these.
“Well I don’t know Ronin, the station authorities will usually hold hulls. Its their rules not mine” the apologetic look didn’t quite fit.
“That’s crap and you know it. You on the slide for a quick buck Tamworth? As I said the hit fee plus salvage, take it or leave it”.
Standing up abruptly, Tamworth leant across the table and grabbed Ronin’s arm.
“Listen lady, I am offering you a good deal and I’ve always looked after your interests, but you start to mess me about and I might just have to put you out of business.”
Ronin edged backwards, obviously startled and a little taken aback.
“Ok Tamworth, no need to get tetchy. I ….”
“Do you want it?” snarled Tamworth.
“Yes.” Interrupted Naris. “We’ll take it. Now sit down, chill and I’ll get another round of drinks. Give us a hand girl.” She added to Ronin.
At the bar Naris turned to Ronin.
“What the hell was all that about?”
Ronin looked at her, deep into her eyes before answering.
“Just the drink, it takes him like that occasionally.”
I think therefore I am

Gvork
x3

Post by Gvork » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 21:43

Shaping up nicely.

Return to “Creative Universe”