Flights for Salvation - Chapter 2

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Dragon_Rider
x4

Flights for Salvation - Chapter 2

Post by Dragon_Rider » Thu, 14. Apr 05, 12:23

Well here's chapter 2, so enjoy ;) please leave any critism, I need to know where i'm going wrong, cheers! :)

Chapter 2

Naru just sat there, in a shocked silence, as the ship leveled off and moved away from the building.
After a while Naru came to her senses, and called Joanne up from the cabin.

“What’s the matter, why are we still at the compound?”

“Well…… I ….. nearly … ummm….. crashed, but the ship took over and moved us away!!”

“What are you on about? I think you need some sleep!” lets get back home we can do the reactor tomorrow.”

“Hmm…… good idea” replied Naru, she was still slightly shaken.

Naru took hold of controls once more, and very slowly this time, moved the ship round to face in the direction of home. She then applied the power, the ship accelerated smoothly and quickly, with-in 20 minute’s they where home.

“I suggest you lock the ship down, and come in for a hot cup of coffee, and some rest” commented Joanne.

“I will in a minute, I want to have a look round first”

“Ok but don’t leave it too long!”

With that Joanne left and walked to the house leaving Naru with her thoughts and the ship.

After a long silence Naru asked,

“Computer, how did you take control of the ship?”

“Please rephrase the question?”

“Back at the port you took control of the ship and moved it away from the building!! How did you do it?” Naru was getting quite upset, she wanted answers

“The ships database has no records of that event”

“What do you mean? It happened about half an hour ago…. “

“There are no records on ship files” replied the computer again

With that Naru accessed the logs herself and scanned through them. To her amazement there was no record anywhere!
The last few records where as they had happened with the exception of the building incident! That was nowhere to be seen.

Naru was very puzzled now so she shut all systems down, and left the ship, making sure the door was closed behind her, she then proceeded to the house for a coffee.

“You took your time, I was about to send a search party”

“Its ok, I was going through the ship logs…”

“Here have a coffee, and get some rest we can go out tomorrow, to see if we can find a spare reactor core”

“Hmmm…… what? Oh yes, good idea” Naru then left and went to bed; she was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow!

++++++++

The following morning, after Naru had got up and had breakfast, she went to her ship, as she approached, there was a small crowd of people around all looking and pointing!

“HEY!! Naru, have you seen this ship? I think it must have arrived last night!” shouted Lizzy, one of her mates.

“Yes I know!” Naru started grinning, “Its mine!!”

“Don’t be stupid! It’s not yours! It’s a military craft, you can’t afford one of those!! I bet it’s a gorgeous pilot!” she replied dreamily

Naru couldn’t help herself; “Ok, lets see if we can get into it!!”

“Hey, great idea!” Lizzy went up and put her hand on the scanner

“Access Denied” intoned the computer

“Ok let’s try a code” Lizzy started to type numbers into the pad

“Access denied” was repeated for the next five minutes as Lizzy tried to get in, with no success.

“OK, I give up!! You try!”

Naru walked up to the ship and put her hand onto the Scanner

“Access granted. Welcome back Naru”

Naru turned round and looked at Lizzy,

“Well I told you it was mine! Are coming or not?”

Lizzy stayed where she was, just staring I unbelieving shock

“Where did you get it? It must have cost you a fortune? Unless you stole it?”

“Of course I didn’t steal it! My Dad left it to me! Apparently he was in the EUSN.”

“Oh… Well ok then, wait for me!” with that Lizzy ran and joined Naru in the ship.

“So what have called it then?”

“Oh, I haven’t decided yet.”

“I think you should name it, it’s unlucky if you don’t!”

Naru sat thinking for a minute.

“How about; Valkyrie?”

“Sounds cool!” replied Lizzy with a huge grin on her face!

“You got time for a ride? I have to go to the storage centre to find replacement reactor rods!”

“Sure, I’d love to come.”

“Ok, well have a seat, and let’s see what happens!”

“Computer, register new name as Valkyrie and initiate start-up procedures!”

“Name registered; Systems powering up, core power at 50%”

“Ok, let’s see if we can get to the storage centre”

“Computer, give me manual control please.”

“Manual control enabled” stated the computer as the control sticks came up out of the floor,

Naru took hold of the controls, and started to manoeuvre the ship out of the landing area.

After she had managed to get clear of the landing pad, she started to move away and towards the storage centre. Lizzy came up to the cockpit, to look out of the window, as they few over the construction sites and depots, they could see people looking up and pointing, after all a EUSN fighter was a very rare sight!!

Other than the people staring and pointing the flight was quite uneventful. They arrived at the storage centre. Naru circled round on approach for landing, she brought the nose round and started to descend, she engaged the landing gear, and fired the landing thrusters. As she felt the rear touch down, she eased the nose forward until the front pads touched, then cut the power to the engines!

“Computer please shut down all flight systems, and download the required parts to my POC!” (POC = Palm operated computer)

“All systems shut down and data has been transferred.” Valkyrie stated.

“That was a great piece of flying Naru, where did you learn?” Lizzy almost shouted as Naru came into the cabin

“Hey, thanks. Believe it or not I actually learnt playing space Sims! I have never flown a ship before this!”

“Never! I don’t believe you; I want to learn as well! Come on, tell me!” Lizzy was almost jumping up and down at this point.

“Honestly, I have never flown before! I’ll give you the program when we get home. Anyway, let’s go and find the parts we need!” Naru then opened the hatch and went to find the manager.

As they were walking along Naru checked her POC. They needed to get 6 new rods, and a new ejection unit. They went and had a look around, it was basically a huge warehouse filled with new and used parts. As they were walking down one of the aisles a worker saw them, and directed them to the manager, so they could ask for the required parts!

“Excuse me, are you in charge?” Naru asked, a big built man, he seemed to be a bit of a bad mood.

“Yes. Why? Who’s asking?” he growled back without even looking round

“I was wondering if you could help me. I need a new ejection unit and 6 new fuel rods for a Phoenix heavy fighter.”

As soon as Phoenix heavy fighter was mentioned, he spun round faster than was probably safe, and stared with interest at the 2 girls.

“Phoenix, huh! And why would you be wanting parts for a Phoenix? There aren’t any here!” his voice was full of sarcasm

“Because I have one that needs those parts!” came back the retort

“I think your getting your ships mixed up little lady! There are no Phoenix’s here!” he then turned away and started working again.

“Excuse me!” Naru was getting annoyed now “Just go and look on the pad, you will see my ship there!

“I don’t think so.” He leant across to turn the monitor on “It’s probably an old freighter, some one told you that it was…….. MY GOD!! How the hell did you get one of those?”

“My father left it to me! Now if you don’t mind the parts please?”

“What? Oh yes, can I have a look inside?” he didn’t take his eyes away from the monitor as he asked.

“If I can have the parts I need!”

“Yes of course anything! These ships are some of the best ever made! What till the guy’s at the pub hear I’ve been on one!” a huge grin spread across his face. “I’ll even get them installed for you!”

“Thank you” Naru said sweetly!

After organizing the parts, they walked back to the landing pad. Naru let them into the ship, and let the manager have a look around as promised. Five minutes later the equipment turned up with the engineers. After letting the engineers in, Naru and Lizzy went to the café to have something to eat and drink.

About two hours later the store manager walked in, and came over to them.

“Your ship is ready to go! All the parts have been installed and tested with our equipment however we can’t get the computer to give us a response, and that when we had put it into maintenance mode!”

“Strange. I’ll have a look when I get back, thanks for your help.”

“No problem!”

Naru and Lizzy finished their drinks, and went back to the ship. They let them self’s in and sat down.

“Computer, start-up all systems, and run diagnostic tests on new components”
“Ejection Unit, is operational, and reactor level is at 75% and increasing”

“Computer, why did you not give diagnostic access to the engineers?” Naru asked

“Access to other personnel has not been authorized” intoned the computer

“Ok. Give access to maintenance crews, with my permission”

“Security protocols updated”

“Good! OK Lizzy lets go home!” called Naru as she took her seat in the cockpit.

Naru, fired up the engines and took note of the reactor power, it was now at 90%. She increased the power to the landing thrusters, and eased the ship off the pad; once they had cleared the building she retracted the gear and, proceeded home. Naru was amazed at the performance of the Valkyrie with a full power!

They arrived home, in no time at all. Naru landed as close to the house as possible. Once the ship had powered down, she said goodbye to Lizzy who had to go home, and ran into the house said “Hi” to Joanne, who was startled by the sudden appearance and disappearance. Once In her room, she grabbed all her belonging’s she could carry, and went back to the ship, ‘Her ship!’

She dumped her gear in the cabin, and went back to the house for the rest of her stuff and her credits.

“Leaving are we?” asked Joanne as Naru came back in

“No!! I’m just going to try my ship out that’s all!” came a hurried reply as she ran out of the door!

Back on the Valkyrie she, put her belongings away, and asked the computer to access her credit account.

“You have 10,000 credits cleared”

“10,000!! Are you sure? Which account are you looking at, bring the details up on the screen.” she questioned

“Computer, do you know where the funds came from?”

“Upon receipt of this ship, the funds from this ship’s account were transferred to yours.” was the bored reply from the ship.
Ben

The_Hypo
x3tc

Re: Flights for Salvation - Chapter 2

Post by The_Hypo » Thu, 14. Apr 05, 17:04

Good read, and i like the name Valkyrie
but...
ies9662 wrote: With that Joanne left and walked to the house leaving Naru with her thoughts and the ship.
IMO the "and the ship" is unneccesary and slightly breaks the continus-ness(wow thats spelt wrong :P ) not very important though.
ies9662 wrote: Lizzy stayed where she was, just staring I unbelieving shock
I believe that should be "in unbelieving shock" not "I unbelieving shock"
again very minor but you know what they say, look after the pennys the pounds look after themselves
ies9662 wrote: “Computer please shut down all flight systems, and download the required parts to my POC!” (POC = Palm operated computer)
How about instead of telling the reader what POC stands for how about getting someone to ask her what a POC is?

All in all throughly enjoyable, Keep it up :thumb_up:

Bye :)

Edit: lot's O' typos in my post! :D

jannix
x4

Post by jannix » Tue, 19. Apr 05, 18:51

Loved the second chapter, Ben. :)

Keep 'em coming!

Return to “Creative Universe”