The Man who... - Chapter 2

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

MGA
x2

The Man who... - Chapter 2

Post by MGA » Wed, 20. Apr 05, 19:11

Here is the long awaited Second Chapter 2 of The Man who. First the disclaimer;

This story is written by me, MGA and therefore my property but, you may use it, reproduce, duplicate
or even make money from it, just ask for my permission via PM or email. You want to put this story in your site? Fine by me, all you need to do is request my permission for where you want to use it and put my name on it.

This story has been rated PG.

End Disclaimer.

Enjoy.

Edit-Just so you know this chapter is 3401 words long.
Last edited by MGA on Fri, 22. Apr 05, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Wed, 20. Apr 05, 19:23

Chapter 2...............................................................................................The typical tazura…

Carter’s, “room,” is based in the Argon sector Omicron Lyrae, on the planet’s surface in a luxury apartment on the 23rd floor. Its main selling point is a balcony that reveals a marvellous view of the industrial city beyond. A short flight away is the HQ, resembling a medieval castle, of a successful company known to the X universe as Demicron Industries, a company owned by Carter with assistance from Alfred. This company has been running well for five jazuras.

It all started with a solar power plant in the Boron capital of Kingdom End and the motto, “See a need, fill a need,” since then, the corporation has expanded to the Boron sector of Lucky Planets. Here a wheat farm was set up, along with a silicon mine and most importantly a solar power plant. The plant was important as Lucky planets had no solar power plant of its own. The Boron appreciated the new stations, as it helped Lucky planets’ economy get back into the black.

It was not all good news however. The Argon Company Terracorp was almost driven to bankruptcy with D.I.’s competition, eventually their operations were pulled out, with the exception of the D.I. HQ remaining in Omicron Lyrae.

Terracorp’s problems aside. It all sounds like a wonderful dream, no man could be happier. Unfortunately Carter isn’t happy with his life. Even though he has a Bank balance that many would joke that the Bank needs to build a large extension to store his savings. All he really wanted was a family. The family he so disparately wanted is stuck in a dream. A dream that has been haunting him for jazuras, yet this time he feels it’s somewhat different.

Before he could think of anything else, there is a knock on the door, “Master?” The joyful voice is recognisable as Alfred, “Are you up? Its inspection tazura today and you know what that means right?”
“Sure, just enter,” Carter said disinterested. Alfred enters his room.
“Why master what is wrong?” Asks Alfred curiously, “After all, your employees think highly of you. Surely there can’t be anything wrong?” At that point Carter looks up miserably at a large poster in his room. The poster is of a famous female comic book character known as Goth Girl. Originating from the Argon Federation 15 jazuras ago and has claimed universal fame that has so far stood the test of time.
Alfred noticing this let out a low sigh, he turned to Carter saying, “Aw not again, please tell me that you didn’t have that dream of her again?” Carter bows his head, Alfred continues, “Look, I know your problems with your mother and family and how you would want a woman like, oh lets say, ‘your idol,’ Goth Girl, but you can’t always get what you want.”
“Why?” asked Carter.
“Must I repeat myself?” Alfred asks impatiently, “Comic book or computer game girls, as perfect as they can be are just not real.”
“Fine,” Carter replied, “I suppose we’ll need to pick up the carrier under repair from Family T'kr too, just give me fifteen mizuras to shower, shave and prepare some decent clothes for myself,”
“Very well master, seen you then,” Alfred finishes closing the door behind him,

Fifteen minutes pass and Carter emerges from his apartment wearing typical Argon Executive clothes, Alfred who was waiting outside follows him towards a lift in which they enter. Carter presses a button inside that deploys a microphone “Garage, code 12678 C. Malan,” he speaks into the device. There are a few beeps of conformation from the control panel and the lift begins it’s decent.

Upon reaching the chosen floor, the doors open to reveal a garage containing a Xenon N designated, “Lego,” as it looks like it was made from the parts made by the famous toy company with the same name. Carter recently captured the ship out of pure boredom while doing a trading run jazuras before D.I. was founded.

Carter and Alfred climbed inside the ship and into the heavily modified cockpit. The cockpit was slightly larger than that of a standard N so that two people could sit together at the front and one person behind, thanks to the development of smaller, stronger components. The space inside the cockpit was actually larger then how it looked from the outside. Along with increased space came increased speed of 600 m/s. Impressive upgrades only made possible by shipwrights in Omicron Lyrae.
“Where to first Alfred?” asked Carter.
“Did you get some breakfast master?” asked Alfred.
“Funnily enough I didn't,” replied Carter. He was sounding more irritable by the mizura.
“Very well master, as it is a special occasion why don't we go to the nearest take-away and order something there for your breakfast?”
Carter looks out the window to the side pausing briefly, “Cabaal take us to the nearest take-away,” he then says. The dock door in front opens, followed by the engines of Lego firing into life and the sudden g-force as it makes its way to the local cahoona take-away.

When reaching the take away Carter orders a luxury breakfast from the take-away which took a while, as the person serving Carter who had served him many times before still didn’t know his usual order. After the order was received, Alfred pulls a USB cable from his arm and plugs it into a port inside the cockpit. He then takes control of Lego heading toward Demicron Industries H.Q. Taking care not to disturb Carter, who was trying to eat his breakfast without spilling anything.

After arriving at Demicron Industries H.Q. Carter and Alfred make their way to the main office.
Upon reaching the floor, the door opens to reveal the office workers of the station, “Hello?” asks Carter, the workers ignore him. “Come on folks, work can’t be that miserable?”
“Hello boss,” the workers reply cheerfully. Just then a door on the other side of the room opens revealing the postman known to everyone as Pat.
“Mail call,” Proclaimed Pat, his accent was English. Noticing Carter he continues, “Oh, Mr Malan, hope you slept well,” he continues walking towards Carter,
“Perfect,” replied Carter sarcastically.
“What's the matter sir?” asked Pat worryingly, “It’s a lovely tazura, the sun is shining the air is clean. Surely you couldn’t be any happier?”
“What mail do you have for me?” asked Carter folding his arms, trying to change the subject.
“None,”
“Then why were you bothering me?” Carter shouts at Pat with a menacing stare, this causes the office workers to jump. Pat edged away carefully and begins to hand out the mail to the awaiting workers who were all looking back at Carter with a look of fear on their faces. Noticing this, Carter yells out, “What are you staring at? Get back to work you slackers!” With immediate effect the employees continue working, Carter turns to Alfred with his right eye twitching furiously, “I shall be waiting in the N Alfred and I shall give you fifteen mizuras. Don’t be late.” Alfred nods his head as Carter proceeds to the door leaving Alfred with a sad look on his face.
“When is he paying us?” asked Joanne, one of the workers, “It’s been four mazuras since our last payment and we are running into debt.”
“I’m afraid I still don’t know,” replies Alfred. “A modern tazura Mr Burns is he.”

While the N makes its way to the next Argon Lander to space via autopilot, Alfred tries to reason with Carter, with what has happened for the last four mazuras. Ranging from disrespect of employees to pure incompetence, sadly Carter just ignored him.

After they reach space Carter regains manual control of Lego and proceeds to the Warf where his personal flagship in the form of a Centaur designated “Cutthroat,” awaits. After the docking procedure, Carter and Alfred proceed to the main cockpit. A cockpit which is furnished to such luxury standards that Queen Atreus of the Boron or any Upper-class Argon would be highly jealous of. As they take their seats Carter presses a button on the control panel, “This is Carter Malan of the Argon Centaur Cutthroat to Federal Argon Wharf Alpha requesting permission to launch,” he says. There is a short pause as he awaits a reply.
“Rodger that Mr Malan this is Federal Argon Wharf Alpha, please stand by as we perform some pre-launch checks,” replies a female voice. Five mizuras later a reply comes in “Control to Argon Centaur Cutthroat, this is Federal Argon Wharf Alpha, everything’s a go for launch. Good journey!” As the communication closes Carter lets out a disinterested snarl as he grabs the joystick and throttle encased in the chair and sends Cutthroat forward not caring if he almost collided with a passing TS ship.
“Boron sector of Lucky Planets first Alfred, yes?” asked Carter powering up the jumpdrive.
“Master, must you be so irritable?” Alfred replied, “Fine then. Just be nice, if not for you then for others that care.”

The D.I. station complex in Lucky Planets consisting of the three stations mentioned plus docking for a single M6, reserved specifically for Carters pride and joy. Sadly Carter had to be dragged in by Alfred as he was reluctant to shift from his chair. The Boron employees on board were typically pleased to see him, but before they could say hello nicely Carter stormed out back into Cutthroat, Alfred lost the will to drag him back in.
“What’s wrong with him Alfred? Why does he hate us?” asked Wihe Re from the local Bofu chemical lab in a worried tone. “Is it because of my Bofu? He usually likes my Bofu and Argon who like Bofu is a rare thing indeed.”
“It’s not you Wihe,” Alfred replied encouragingly, “He isn’t himself.”

It was not just the Kingdom of Boron that has been enjoying the services of Demicron industries.
The Paranaid Empire only befitted with a solar power plant in Paranaid Prime to start with, but now they are anticipating the opening of a Teladianium Foundry. A Bogas Factory was soon to follow. This tazura was when the Teladianium Foundry would open its doors for the first time.

Emperor Xaar who awaiting for Carter at the Shipyard was excited about meeting him for the first time as he was delighted at how he respected his races beliefs and visions. In particular the SPP that was placed here. Carter’s careful management made sure the station was profitable but didn’t let nearby ones go bust. Helping his reputation further included workers he employed on board. They consisted of an unusual lot. Two such included an overweight Paranaid considered lazy and one considered unholy as he was born with two eyes. Carter thought differently and employed them. Miraculously they performed better than many thought before. This seeing potential in the least obvious and unfortunate made Emperor Xaar proud.

Arriving at the shipyard there is a sound of cheering Paranaids as Carter and Alfred make their way across the podium built for the occasion towards Emperor Xaar, Olmanckettteg the Priest King of Paranaid Prime and Manckaddip the Priest Duke of the Shipyard. All who are waiting at a switch on a small column. In the back of the podium is a large Monitor displaying the finished if not online Teladianium foundry. After Xaar finished his speech on Carter and his dedications to the Paranaid Empire he gave Carter the honour of opening the Teladianium foundry, all Carter needed to do was say a few words and pull a switch.

“It gives me great pleasure to open this T…” Carter stops speaking for a moment and turns to Alfred, “Alfred what’s the name of this facility?” At that point, the members of the audience confer with each other.
Letting out a light sigh Alfred replies, “It’s a Teladianium foundry.”
“Right,” continues Carter, “I hereby open this Teladianium foundry in the system of Paranaid Prite,” the audience is in silence and Xaar looks on worried. Alfred whispers something in Carter’s ear, “Oh silly me,” Carter says with an embarrassed tone. Alfred looks on angrily, Carter quotes admirably “I open this…foundry in the name of Emperor Xaar and the Paranaid Empire in the Sector of Paranaid Prime,” he waits for a reply.
“Praise Xaar!” quotes Olmanckettteg,
“Praise Xaar!” the audience replies in unison. Carter pulls the switch and watches the monitor. The audience cheers at the moment the Foundry springs into life.
“As agreed I shall lead you on a tour of the foundry tomorrow,” Carter says to Xaar, “I will also be expecting the Priest dukes available to be ready for interviewing as well if that’s not too much trouble.”
“Agreed,” says, Xaar, “Pardon me for asking but you don’t seem you, is there something you’d like too talk about?”
“No thank you,” replies Carter politely, “I must be going, goodbye,” he walks off back to the hanger where Lego is awaiting departure.
Xaar says to Alfred, “These two eyed ones are an unusual lot Alfred,”
“I’ll have you be reminded that it was their kind that built me!” Alfred replied, sounding quite irritated.
“Apologies,” Replied Xaar, “See you tomorrow.” Waving goodbye, he and his associates depart. Alfred begins to follow Carter back to the docking bay.

Back on board the now departing Cutthroat. Carter programmes the jumpdrive to head to Family T'kr, a Split Sector.
“What about Blue Profit and Kingdom End master?” asks Alfred.
“We’re not going there,” replies Carter.

Deciding not to visit Blue Profit would be a mistake for Carter as The Teladi Company think highly of him. They benefited with the addition of a chip plant in their sector of Blue Profit. As a Boron chip plant in Rolk’s Drift stopped trading with them they needed a new place to buy computer components, this plant allows them to save money on transport costs and so profits increased by 75%. Any Teladi not enjoying this would be insane to do so. Their Chairman Ceo was so proud the he rewarded Carter with promised upgrades to his Centaur once its Warranty ran out.

“What is wrong with you master?” asked Alfred, “Why can’t you stop dreaming about this family you will never have and wake up?” Carter just ignores Alfred as Cutthroat begins the jump.

The Split Dynasty knowledge of D.I. is slowly growing, as Carter once saved a Raptor Carrier of the T'kr Family from being overrun by Xenon ships. A Xenon J had deployed into their home system from nowhere and released a swarm of fighters of all classes upon it. It could not have come at a worse time, as their only destroyer was under repair and not available to fight and their Dragon Patrols were two systems too far to respond in time. Carter who was in the system at the time and in his Centaur Cutthroat, noticed the carrier was in trouble. The Xenon fighters were aiming for the vulnerable underbelly and the Raptor’s fighters were being destroyed as they were being launched. Carter powered up his Centaur at 300m/s and began interception.
“Wait!” You say. “An Argon Centaur can’t fly that fast?” Well this one can and more.
Flush with the success of the profits from the factories set up, Carter treated himself to a Centaur as a personal flagship, once the warranty ran and as agreed by Chairman Ceo of the Teladi, a number of modifications were made to Cutthroat at the Teladi Shipyard in Seizewell. These include two extra Gamma high energy plasma throwers in the nose, ion-based weapons hidden between the engines, a tractor beam with the strength to move a shipyard, a rear facing turret with mounting for two gamma Kyon Emitters salvaged from captured Khaak vessels and two extra Kyon Emitters fitted in concealed bays either side of the front hull. Increased speed and manoeuvrability matching that of an M4 added icing to the cake. A press of a button is all it takes to deploy the hidden weapons either side, fore and aft, with the engines extending sideways to reveal the ion based weapons.

Carter’s vessel fired two ion disrupters upon the Xenon ships; this turned their attention away from the Split and onto him, once the shields on the Xenon ships were down, ion controllers were engaged, these seem like ion disruptors when firing but glow red instead of white. The Xenon ships stopped with immediate effect and were under Carter’s control, with that in mind Carter authorised the shutdown command and the signal was sent down the firing line, the Xenon ships then ceased to function.

After the fight, Carter was hailed by the Raptor’s captain, he could make out cheers in the background, “On behalf on family T'kr, split thanks you for your help,” the Captain said sounding relieved. It was just as well the ship was saved as this was the most recent carrier built by Family T'kr since their previous one was ceased after the Dragon incident.

While the Xenon ships were dragged away by Carter as his new-found trophies and the Split carrier repaired, scouts reported a Xenon installation 25 miles west of the Shipyard. The Dragons owned by Family T'kr killed it off with immediate effect.

Since then Family T'kr was forever in Carter’s dept. When asked what he wanted as a reward, he spoke at the high council on the planet of Family Pride, “I wouldn’t mind it if you Split would let me build a solar power plant in Family Pride,” he paused for reaction, the audience just conferred with each other, Carter continued, “I would also like to name it after Family T'kr’s previous leader who was executed because of the Dragon incident, I personally believe that he did not deserve to be killed for that, the workers who built the reactor did,”
“Split could not agree with you more,” said Tygat t'Kdtt the current leader of Family T'kr. “I too,” began the leader of the Ronkar Family, “Everyone else?” No-one seems to disagree with him. He then stands up quoting, “All those in favour construction of the plant?” There was a loud, “Aye,” from the audience and parliament members, “All opposed?” Funnily enough, there was no response.

It was then settled. A Split SPP was set up in Family T'kr, eventually a separate cattle ranch and a Cahoona bakery were sent up too. The addition of Meatsteak cahoonas caused excitement for the Split in Family T'kr as they rarely had a chance to sample this rare Argon import as most of the other families stopped trading it to them. All this honoured the T'kr family and the rest of the Split Dynasty, even the rather abrasive Family Njy. Who although threatening to start with, grew fond of Carter as jazuras passed.

Arriving at the sector, Carter targets the shipyard and leaves his chair.
“Alfred proceed to the Station Complex, I shall be proceeding to the shipyard in Lego to extend the docking permit of my Carrier.” He says to Alfred.
Alfred jumps from his chair and snaps at Carter, “Are you insane master? The Docking permit is reaching it’s forth mazura! I scarcely believe the Shipyard owner is going to accept this as the family owned M2 and M1 patrolling the sectors desperately need to dock for repairs. They are on their last legs!”
“Well that’s their problem,” Carter replies disinterested. He boards Lego and proceeds to the shipyard, Alfred watches miserably from the cockpit as the little N flies away. Taking control of Cutthroat he heads to the station complex, which consisted of the Cattle ranch and Cahoona Bakery mentioned earlier. Like the Lucky Planets complex there is docking for an M6.
“This is Alfred of the Argon Centaur Cutthroat requesting permission to dock,” Alfred says to the complex command centre.
“Roger sir you are cleared to dock,” replies a female Split voice, “Is Mr Malan aboard? There is something we’d like to discuss with him over pay.”
“I’m sorry but he’s off to the shipyard,” Replied Alfred,
“Not to increase the permit again! I’ve heard that Family T'kr will to hire Family Njy to do something to the Carrier if he tries to extend the permit further!”
“It seems to be nothing short of a typical tazura,” Says Alfred with a sense of dread in his voice as Cutthroat docks with the station.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Thu, 21. Apr 05, 00:11

Any comments?

Urashima Keitaro
x2

Post by Urashima Keitaro » Thu, 21. Apr 05, 10:37

Nice read, I'll make my usual critique when I get home.

Return to “Creative Universe”