Design the planet contest

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Design the planet contest

Post by BurnIt! » Fri, 6. May 05, 13:57

Hello everyone!

Since the idea to create a "design the planet contest" received such a positive response, here it is:

You have all seen the first screenshots of a new planet as it will be in X³: Reunion, so you should also have an idea the level of visual quality we're talking about here.

What we would like from you is a detailed description of what a planet in X³ could look like. Note that this doesn't mean you have to draw it, only describe it in detail.

Now, "the planet is green" is a bit boring, so we want more. WHY does it look how it looks? Why is the water green or why is there no water at all? Why is the landmass full of rocks? What are these large, dark red lakes all over the surface?
Things that cannot be seen from space are of no particular interest though.

For practical reasons, the language of your entry must either be English or German (obviously your entry will not be judged on your language skill!). If you are unable to write your entry as well as you would like in English or German then please ask on the forum as there are many people who would be able to help you with the translation.

Be creative!

The rules and requirements in short:
  • What does your planet look like?
  • Why does it look like that?
  • You do NOT have to send any images/drawings/renderings, but you can if you want to.
  • An entry can come from a single person or a group.
  • There can only be ONE entry per person or group! If you do more, chose your best one.
  • Aesthetics is important (our graphics artists are very picky there, weird colour combinations like a planet with "pink water, bright green continents and yellow sky" will be ignored).
  • If you have an account with us, please include your username (or the names of the users belonging to your group) in the mail.
  • If you send attachments other than jpg files, please make sure you put them in a RAR or ZIP archive - do NOT send EXE files!
  • Total size of all your attachments must not exceed 5MB!
  • The subject of your mail MUST include the term "planetcontest" or the entry will be ignored.
  • Do not ask our artists for advice; all you need to know is listed here.
  • Do not try to flood or spam the addresses specified below or we will deal with you and your account accordingly (the word ban comes to mind).
  • We can NOT guarantee that your entry will make it into the game (but if it looks great and is technically do-able chances are good :) ).
  • By sending in your entry you allow us to use it for the game or concept art at our discretion (independent from it being declared contest winner or not).
  • Entries sent after May 20th, 23:59:59 CEST (GMT+2) will be ignored; the winner will be announced the week following that deadline.
  • Before you send your entry, read these rules again and check that you haven't missed one.
  • Re-read these rules slowly before continuing.

So what's in it for you?
Well you have the chance to see your creation in the X Universe - that not enough?
Okay okay - every entry can be selected to be used in the game, additionally we will pick one winner for the best entry and that winner can choose from these:

one signed copy of X²: The Threat now
OR
one signed copy of X³: Reunion, when it's done

and one day cleaning at the Egosoft office :) (transportation and lodging not included)

Ok, all clear? If there are still questions, please reply to this thread.

So here is where you should send your entry to:
Mail
TO: Chris <at> egosoft.com
CC: Markus <at> egosoft.com
and don't forget to include "planetcontest" in your subject!

Oh and a word of advice - if you wish to post your entry here in public, please send your mail first. If there are duplicate entries we will use the one that arrived first and ignore any later entries!

Now show us how creative the X-Community is!
Last edited by BurnIt! on Tue, 24. May 05, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Snokid
x2

Post by Snokid » Fri, 6. May 05, 17:38

This sounds very interesting.

For the prize details, could it be a signed collectors edition? [not that Im counting chickens, or even entering this time...]

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Fri, 6. May 05, 17:40

I think we can talk about that - but keep in mind, that the Collectors Edition is only available in German language!
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 6. May 05, 17:41

:thumb_up:

Nice compo!

/gets to work
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 6. May 05, 17:42

BurnIt! wrote:I think we can talk about that - but keep in mind, that the Collectors Edition is only available in German language!
So free Collectors Addition and free German lessons then? :wink:

I might enter I have an idea forming as I type :roll:
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

the thunder dragon
x3

Post by the thunder dragon » Fri, 6. May 05, 18:01

is it stil posebele to land on planets like in x2 the return??
playing other games

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Fri, 6. May 05, 18:08

the thunder dragon wrote:is it stil posebele to land on planets like in x2 the return??
Exactly like in X²: The Return - where landing on planets was not possible.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:06

LOL
well it sounds like a great contest, im gonna get my brain workig to come up with the best planet i can. If i need to ask any details about the visual quality, which i would need to know to import an idea of mine into the map, but i didnt want anyone else to know, who could i contact?

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:18

"and one day cleaning at the Egosoft office Smile (transportation and lodging not included) "
ooo i missed that the first time round, as long as there isnt too much to clean up.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:28

mintydog wrote:...as long as there isnt too much to clean up.
Pizza boxes, coke crates, the usual developer stuff. ;)

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:28

alpha build cd's.......

dzhedzho
x4

Post by dzhedzho » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:32

mintydog wrote:LOL
well it sounds like a great contest, im gonna get my brain workig to come up with the best planet i can. If i need to ask any details about the visual quality, which i would need to know to import an idea of mine into the map, but i didnt want anyone else to know, who could i contact?
If your avatar is your planet idea i have already guessed it. BTW wouldnt it be cool to fly towards an asteroid to try to mine it, and find out a monster looking like an asteroid

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:39

guess my secrets out, back to the drawing board :)

Noahthez
x3

Post by Noahthez » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:46

This contest is sweet! I would be greatful just to see an idea if mine in a game such as this. Getting the game is if win is just topping on the cake. Once again SWEET!! :D :thumb_up:

Logaan
x4

Post by Logaan » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:49

Would we be allowed to use tools like Terragen? And if we were would you like us to keep the source files so the artists could use them (if they want them?)...if you see what I mean

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 6. May 05, 19:59

Already sent mine in.

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 20:05

im gonna spend a little longer thinking of the design for mine, im not the most creative person ever but id like to wait to see what the graphical limitations are, to deteimine how much detail i put into it. And it wont be a cacodemon :)

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 6. May 05, 20:13

mintydog wrote:im gonna spend a little longer thinking of the design for mine, im not the most creative person ever but id like to wait to see what the graphical limitations are, to deteimine how much detail i put into it. And it wont be a cacodemon :)
Well I just went full-hog and gave an entire sector description as well to go around the planet. I'm assuming X3 can render things very accurately and did my planet with that in mind.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 6. May 05, 20:29

BurnIt! wrote:
the thunder dragon wrote:is it stil posebele to land on planets like in x2 the return??
Exactly like in X²: The Return - where landing on planets was not possible.
So what's the point of having a planet design contest? They look Ok to me in X2TT, and me thinks effort should be spent else where, because really if the planet does not add any playability, I really don't care how they look.

mintydog
x2

Post by mintydog » Fri, 6. May 05, 20:37

effort IS being spent elsewhere, thats why WE are designing the planets ;)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”