My competition story The Jupitor jump

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

therjw
x2

My competition story The Jupitor jump

Post by therjw » Fri, 20. May 05, 01:48

Hi all
this was my story for the ESA competition a while back http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMSCEO3E4E_index_0.html, I still havent got any information back from them so I decided to post it here, I lost the very final version I sent them (thank for the comp dieing on me causing a system wipe) but I still got the finished version here but it may have a few spelling in it but enjoy.

oh also I better write a disclamer so bla bla bla this was written by me and is not to be copied/stolen etc, if you want to add it to your site please PM me first as I may still be in with a chance to win the competition

Cheers
Richard :D
PS thank Steve Miller for Proof Reading it and giving me some very good pointers I couldnt have done it as good without his help :D

well now for the story enjoy

Mission Jupiter jump. 03/09/2100

We have left the Earth Sector, destination Jupiter. We face a journey of 8 months; en route we’ll be joined by 2 cargo ships in orbit around the moon.
I have been assigned as the Commander of the Convoy.

05/09/2100

We’ve rendezvous with the cargo ships. Their crew is minimal but their captains can talk the rivets out of a bulkhead.
It’s going to be a long 8 months… Fortunately our 9th Sister ship the Raven will be joining us. Her captain, James Donald is an old friend of mine.

23/12/2100

Like an early Christmas present the Raven arrived 2 days ahead of schedule. James hasn’t changed a bit. It good to see the old man again. The crews are planning a joint party to celebrate the reunion and the coming of Christmas. If I know mine, it’ll be one hell of a party.

26/12/2100

Ahh my head. Better take some aspirins. Now where was I? Oh yes the party, well James certainly hasn’t changed a bit. He was up to his old tricks again. We used over ½ the booze supplies so it’s short rations from hereon out.

20/04/2101

We have arrived in the Jupiter sector, and are beginning our deceleration burn for Europa orbit where the convoy will be docking with the recently completed twin stations Michelangelo and Da Vinci, ETA 8 days.

28/04/2101

we have entered in range if the stations, the 2 cargo ships are docking with the station to drop off the supplies. I think we can call this mission a success. No real problems have been encountered so far.

29/04/2101

We’ve received a code red from the base, enclosing the highest security measures.
I will be transferring over via shuttle ASAP. I hope everything is all right.

“Shuttlecraft 2. You have clearance to dock at bay 4.A. We will be locking down it gravitational ring… Now. Welcome aboard the Michelangelo Captain”
“Thank you command. We will be entering docking range now.” Replied Captain Richard.

The doors on the Michelangelo opened with a sibilant hiss of escaping air being sucked out into the void of space, particles of dust hitting the shuttles windshield as it manovered into the bay. As it touchdown onto the ground the Bay doors started to grind shut and the hiss of air could be heard repressurising the bay. The sounds of gears could be heard in the distance as the massive hanger started to revolve again bringing gravity back to the bay. A welcoming party walked towards the shuttle. The doors opened on the shuttle and Captain Richard walked out. An honour guard in pressed, dress whites marched out to greet him,
“Welcome Captain. It a pleasure to have you here” said the group leader, “can you so please follow us to the Briefing room to meet Commander Miller.”

“Of course. Thanks for the welcome, this is a mighty impressive.” Replied Richard.
The group stepped onto the lift that took them right up to the Briefing room.

“Welcome Captain.” Spoke Admiral Miller.
“Thank you Sir. What is the problem?” Replied Richard
“I’ll keep this short, as you will have to leave ASAP. Our sensors have detected an unknown anomaly entering sensor range on a collision course with the Da Vinci station, ETA 100 hours. But it’s still too far out to be identified properly. So we want you and you ship to head it off, stop it, and if nessercery, destroy it.” Spoke Miller

“Is it a danger to my ship? I don’t want to be walking straight into a death trap here.”

“It possible, however the lives of the 2000 people on this station take priority if you do not comply which is a court-martial offence, so this is a direct order Captain, Understood?”

“Perfectly.” Replied Richard through the grit of his teeth.

“Excellent, dismissed.”

As I was about to take the lift down Admiral Miller said,
“Oh and captain… Good luck.”

02/05/2101 10:30
Our ship is on full burn towards the anomaly. We should see it Time day now, we’re starting to match speed and direction with the object, otherwise it will pass right over us. I hope this baby holds together, we had to take the gravitational ring offline for repairs. Some of the crew are suffering from space-sickness in the zero G environment.

04/05/2101 14:25

“Captain we are entering sensor range of the object. Weapons range in 2 minutes” reported the helm.
“Good, once it in weapons range match the target’s speed and direction so we can stay in weapon’s range long enough. Helm, bring it into view.”

As it came into view I could see that it wasn’t a natural object, but manufactured. The metallic shine has darkened from the years in space but they could tell what it this.. was.
“This… This thing, its some sort of probe, Sensors, is it man made?”
“Negative.. Whatever this is, it alien.”
It took a few moments for it to sink in to me,
“Try hailing it.” Ordered Richard
“Trying, no reply, wait… Their a weak signal, very faint, it some kind of automated beacon. From the looks of it been sending for a long time”

“Sir… We have entered weapons range of the UFO, what shall we do?”
This is the find of the century, the proof, that life on other planets actually exist
“Sir!! The probe will be leaving weapons range in 1 minute. What are your orders?”

No, what can we do this is the breakthrough of the century I cannot ignore it, but we been ordered to destroy it? There lives on stake. At that moment Commander Miller words floated back in the Captains head,
“The 2000 crewmembers on the station are more at risk, so this is a direct order.”
But the lives are in danger, but this is also the major breakthrough. What to do?
There was silence onboard the bridge of the ship. Till Captain Richard spoke out.
“Weapons. Prepare the main cannon”

The End

Medic279
x3

Post by Medic279 » Fri, 20. May 05, 03:37

Please don't take this the wrong way but was your short story influenced perhaps by Nexus: The Jupiter Incident? In that game each section is preluded by a spoken log which is very similar in both style and (general) content.

However, it is a good style and does draw the reader into the mind of the protagonist well. I spotted a few typos which, no doubt, were correct on your final version that got wiped.

Any chance you've thought up a timeline/story structure to follow it on with?

Anyway. Just wanted to finish saying that it's a quality piece of writing that you should be proud of irrespective of whether it wins the award.

Matt

therjw
x2

Post by therjw » Fri, 20. May 05, 09:28

yep your 1/2 right, it does have a similer style to a scene in nexus but then it a good way to move the story along. But apart from that and the fact it meantions Jupiter and prob the 2 cargo ships in it there completly different.

I think I did create a timeline for it I'll try and find it and post it :D

Cheers

Urashima Keitaro
x2

Post by Urashima Keitaro » Fri, 20. May 05, 20:22

You could always ask me for it back. :wink:

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sun, 22. May 05, 07:55

Just be sure you're girlfriend's not around. This forth year ronin has a bad habbit of tripping and getting 'lucky,' so to speak. At least, that's what Miss Ayoama tells me, between my frequent cross town bus trips back to the dojo... Trying to hold a conversation with her during practice is like being on a swingset in first grade. Just when you're close enough to chat, there you go flying again.

"Some of us know more than we let on, some of us let on more than we know. Can you tell the difference?"

Urashima Keitaro
x2

Post by Urashima Keitaro » Sun, 22. May 05, 13:02

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote:Just be sure you're girlfriend's not around. This forth year ronin has a bad habbit of tripping and getting 'lucky,' so to speak. At least, that's what Miss Ayoama tells me, between my frequent cross town bus trips back to the dojo... Trying to hold a conversation with her during practice is like being on a swingset in first grade. Just when you're close enough to chat, there you go flying again.

"Some of us know more than we let on, some of us let on more than we know. Can you tell the difference?"
Yes, must make sure my girlfriend doesn't see. And that I don't fall over. And what else has Motoko-chan told you? Clutzier then normal? :wink:

"Intelligence is not defined by what you see on the outside. No matter how clutzy, the most intelligent thing you can do is hide your intelligence until the time is right."

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sun, 22. May 05, 15:29

Urashima Keitaro wrote: "Intelligence is not defined by what you see on the outside. No matter how clutzy, the most intelligent thing you can do is hide your intelligence until the time is right."
Similarly:

"Those who shout their destinies out loud before their time is right tend to meet premature deaths"

Oh wait... this isnt Jade Empire... :|

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sun, 22. May 05, 20:10

Now I want to put the Mecha Tamago 5 into my mod.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Urashima Keitaro
x2

Post by Urashima Keitaro » Sun, 22. May 05, 22:11

Just don't let Motoko see it, k? :lol:

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Tue, 24. May 05, 12:53

What a way for you all to hijack a thread :lol:

Anyhoo, nice little story Therjw :D Dont worry about similarities with other stories. It is the differences and the angle that are most important. At the end of the day after all the reams of fiction out there, how can one avoid inadvertantly using ideas from elsewhere? I know the Destiny's Dawn novel had many references either intended or not to events I have read before. Even Steve Mills brings up Startrek and Starwars a few times in the Rogue series!

Keep it up, it is great that you are able to contriubute too.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 24. May 05, 14:59

Graf_Grau wrote:What a way for you all to hijack a thread :lol:

Even Steve Mills brings up Startrek and Starwars a few times in the Rogue series!
The competing myths of human space colonisation at the heart of the Goner mythos. I'm surprised there hasn't been a schism. :wink:

"May the Force be with you."

"No! Follow the Holy Ears."

"Heretics. Nail some sense into them."

Return to “Creative Universe”