Profitable Wheat Farm?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dark_Archon

Profitable Wheat Farm?

Post by Dark_Archon » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 20:49

Spoiler
Show
I was just given the wheat farm on Aladna Hill as a reward for securing the AP Gunner. Do you just need to supply it with energy cells and do NPCs buy the wheat, or do you need to have a ship sell the wheat for you? What price should the wheat be set at, and how much should the station buy energy cells for?
I can't download the trade scripts because the site doesn't like the Mac version registration codes, So I'd have to use the regular buy/sell trade commands.
Last edited by Dark_Archon on Sat, 6. Aug 05, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 20:50

cram the price to 38, give it a maxed speed/cargo disco with MKI trade software to buy cells and let it run

as with all argon space it is in desperate demand

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 21:13

The weat farm is the best station to start with and do use disco as freiters
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 22:10

The Real Player wrote:The weat farm is the best station to start with and do use disco as freiters
ummm No it isn't. Wheat farms cost about 3 times as much as solar power plants and are nowhere near as profitable.

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 22:23

Wheat price at 46, cells price to 16, one TS to buy energy cells. No need to sell them using a ship.

Argons (and not only) will knock to your station door desperately.... :D

Bye

Jon Tetrino
x4

Post by Jon Tetrino » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 22:52

NavaCorp wrote:Wheat price at 46, cells price to 16, one TS to buy energy cells. No need to sell them using a ship.

Argons (and not only) will knock to your station door desperately.... :D

Bye
a disco will fill it, tho isnt so cheap after speed upgrades

jaguarskx
x3

Post by jaguarskx » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 00:02

Good for you, you got the Wheat Farm, I didn't get one after completing the mission, but I already have over 100 factories at that point.

Anyway, just get any transport to buy E-Cells for 16 credits or less. Since you are close to Split Space you may want to go for the Caimen, or just stick to the Mercury. Since you are next to Akeela's Beacon, you will have a cheap supply of energy.

Argon factories that uses Wheat are:
Cahoona Bakery
Rimes Factory

You should be able to sell them at 46 credits without any problems.

Dark_Archon

Post by Dark_Archon » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 00:20

The price is set to 40 now, and the demand is still too high. The maxed Disco can't carry enough, so I might need to buy a Split Caimen. Thanks for the input.

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 00:21

Nividium wrote: a disco will fill it, tho isnt so cheap after speed upgrades
40 cargo units to supply a factory???? Compared with 1500 of a Caiman or 1800 of a Mercury or 3000 of a Dolphin (maximized cargo of course)??? How many trips to fill that factory??? How many credits lost if despite an offer of 5000 cells at 9 cr the M5 buys so few cells allowing the competitors to steal your business buying the others??? Insted of buying a great part of it in one shot!!

Of course Disco can go at 490 m.s. but on the same distance a Caiman travelling at 189 m.s will carry in one trip what a disco would carry in 1500/40--> about 37 trips! Disco would spend 189/490*37-->14 times the time spent by a Caiman to buy the same amount of cells!

Apart crystals with scorpions and in some cases TP's, a TS is the transport ship to buy. I think that without lev 8 BPH + jump (in this case Dolphin is the choice) the best is Caiman: the fastest TS, good shielding (not the best, though), good cargo space.

Bye
Last edited by NavaCorp on Sun, 7. Aug 05, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

|M|
x4

Re: Profitable Wheat Farm?

Post by |M| » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 00:40

Dark_Archon wrote: I can't download the trade scripts because the site doesn't like the Mac version registration codes, So I'd have to use the regular buy/sell trade commands.
If you're having problems registering, PM either Abyss or BurnIt! and they'll sort you out so you can download the goodies.

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 02:20

I have no idea why you would use a Disco as a freighter, either. You'll want a TS to supply it with EC's. Then wait a while; if the wheat doesn't sell well, add another TS as a seller.

And congrats on winning the bonus!
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

Dark_Archon

Post by Dark_Archon » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 04:59

Krevel wrote:I have no idea why you would use a Disco as a freighter, And congrats on winning the bonus!
It's a bonus? What did I do right?

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 05:44

Nyana Hideout Bonus:
I don't remember exactly, but it either has something to do with how many shots the Mammoth suffered, or you have to kill the baddies in a certain amount of time.

I think yoiu should drop a private message to one of the mods to get your registration sorted out. The game is a very different (and a better game) with the Bonus Pack.

Tigerhawk71
x4

Post by Tigerhawk71 » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 06:04

Disco as transport. I have a couple of facts like that. Also partially due to the fact that, a TS will get there. A lot slower... sometimes too slow. So it wastes time finding a better price. A Disco may not carry much, but it'll be there and back in 1/3 of the time. A couple of old Disco's i have are used to supply a pair of wheat farms, one bought (big mistake) and the free one. They took a while to fill up, but they never, ever run out. And it didn't cost me much to get them running. Which is especially important with a wheat farm because the profit margin is so small. Which is exactly the point. Why spend 100K on a freighter for a factory that makes chicken scratch when you have a spare M5 you can get working for half of that.
Split alive!... Not for much longer you aren't...

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 07:08

Putting in wheat farms revs up the local economy and makes your other stations more profitable. "Think outside the box." 8)
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 09:52

Tigerhawk71 wrote:Disco as transport. I have a couple of facts like that. Also partially due to the fact that, a TS will get there. A lot slower... sometimes too slow. So it wastes time finding a better price. A Disco may not carry much, but it'll be there and back in 1/3 of the time. A couple of old Disco's i have are used to supply a pair of wheat farms, one bought (big mistake) and the free one. They took a while to fill up, but they never, ever run out. And it didn't cost me much to get them running. Which is especially important with a wheat farm because the profit margin is so small. Which is exactly the point. Why spend 100K on a freighter for a factory that makes chicken scratch when you have a spare M5 you can get working for half of that.
I repeat that in my opinion you lose money because you can't buy a great amount of e-cells at very low price and as I stated above a Disco would spend about 14 times the time a Caiman would spent carrying the same. :sceptic:

However anyone has his tastes but if you want to use M5s to supply your wheat farms I'd suggest you to use Harriers (108 cargo units) rather than Discos (40 cargo units). :wink:

Good profit :)

BoronSticks

Post by BoronSticks » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 10:26

I gotta go with Navacorp on this one. It's been shown many times that larger cargo sizes help get more of the best deals when buying and selling. Slow and steady (but with a big cargo hold) wins the race.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 10:47

NavaCorp wrote:...a Disco would spend about 14 times the time a Caiman would spent carrying the same...
Actually that is only true under ideal circumstances. There are two factors which can reduce this:

1. The station you are buying may not have 1500 cargo units worth of goods at one time. The Caiman may therefore come back half empty, or with even less on board, on each run. In a worst-case scenario it may actually be carrying no more than the Discoverer.

2. The destination station is determined when the ship leaves your station. The Discoverer will get there more than twice as quickly, making it half as likely that the goods have been sold or their price has gone up so much that they are outside your buying range. The Discoverer will there more make more successful trips than the Caiman, further reducing the Caiman's advantage.

In the case of energy cells, where the production rate is high and supply generally plentiful, then the Caiman will probably still win out despite these factors, but its efficiency margin is unlikely to be as much as 14 times. In the case of less plentiful goods, such as Crystals, a fast M4 can sometimes win out over a plodding TS.

Shivan[SpS]

Post by Shivan[SpS] » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 10:59

What about the TPs? Is the better to use in all less XL class cargo...

But... For a Wheat Farm I recomend you a TP, Like the Argon Express for buy Energy Cells, Or if you can, just crapp a Gonner Ship :P

And 2 Argon Discoverer to sell the wheat... Why 2? Well, the station produces 1 cicle, X units (I Dint remember), One Discoverer cach it and go to sell, the other remain onboard... A second cicle is produced before that discoverer return, so the other going to sell it, for when the 1st discoverer return the 3 cicle almost finish... his is the maximun efficency for a wheat farm...

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 11:06

CBJ wrote:
NavaCorp wrote:...a Disco would spend about 14 times the time a Caiman would spent carrying the same...
Actually that is only true under ideal circumstances. There are two factors which can reduce this:

1. The station you are buying may not have 1500 cargo units worth of goods at one time. The Caiman may therefore come back half empty, or with even less on board, on each run. In a worst-case scenario it may actually be carrying no more than the Discoverer.

2. The destination station is determined when the ship leaves your station. The Discoverer will get there more than twice as quickly, making it half as likely that the goods have been sold or their price has gone up so much that they are outside your buying range. The Discoverer will there more make more successful trips than the Caiman, further reducing the Caiman's advantage.

In the case of energy cells, where the production rate is high and supply generally plentiful, then the Caiman will probably still win out despite these factors, but its efficiency margin is unlikely to be as much as 14 times. In the case of less plentiful goods, such as Crystals, a fast M4 can sometimes win out over a plodding TS.
I agree, in fact I use only scorpions to supply my SPP's of crystals due they are sold in small and rare amounts but in the case of other resources as e-cells, TS's are better.

About the amounts sold at destination that change on-route this is one of the many reasons I use only BPH pilots on my transports (TS/M4). 8)

Bye

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”