gief multiplayer
25%
no no im happy in my bubble
75%

Total votes: 198

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 13:35

...unless you talk about the polls that have actually been taken here.

The average result of X Multiplayer / Online polls:
Online yes: 41,9 %, Online no: 62,4 %, Don't care: 4,5 % with outliers of 80+ % for as well as against.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 13:51

Dasbag wrote:
Cycrow wrote:polls have shown that the majority of people are not interested in multiplayer
I can argue the opposite and have it be just as valid.
i dont see how you can.
there have been alot of polls taken over the years about this, and every one has been in favour of no multiplayer

BarrenEarth
x3

Post by BarrenEarth » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 14:11

"Hey little Boron girl... wants somes Teladi Candies? Come over to my Albatross."

I agree, no multiplayer. Would be nice to have those corporations from the stock exchange compete and have hostile or friendly AI relationships with you though.

But judging from the complete devolution of EVE forums, I don't think this place would fare well in a persistent multiplayer world.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 16:08

Toramo wrote: - Cooperative Game.
The exact same thing than a solo Game but you can manage this game with your friends. Or at least one of your friends can visit your empire or something like this.
This is the only Multiplayer that I want and I will accept.

But no MMORPG, no arenas, no dumb crap. A simple minecraft - like sandbox gameplay with two players together doing things.

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Fri, 22. Mar 13, 22:29

Single player, and multi-player games are completely different beasts. Not just from the programing standpoint, but the design standpoint as well. You cannot grab a single-player game, and just slap multi-player on it, and expect it to work well.

X games in general have been designed as single player games, and their magic and appeal is around there. If they make the X series as a multi-player game it would be completely different. Not saying it would be bad, not necesarily, but it would not be X anymore.

I personally want the next, best, X game. And for that to hold a similar feel, it has to be single-player.

Dasbag

Post by Dasbag » Sat, 23. Mar 13, 08:07

Cycrow wrote:i dont see how you can.
there have been alot of polls taken over the years about this, and every one has been in favour of no multiplayer
Like I said, this game isn't exactly pushed around and advertised the best. I just finally made a forum account after years when I learned about the newest installation. The current poll is terrible, it asks about a multiplayer only option rather than a co-operative along with the choice being "gief multiplayer".

If people were asked about an optional co operative for the singleplayer experience the results would most likely turn in better results even if its being asked on a forum where the consensus is that it should be only singleplayer.

I don't like the idea of a person I do not know being able to destroy my vast empire but the idea of a close friend being able to participate and aid in creating a interstellar empire for both of us is allot more palpable.

As for other multiplayer space games failing this isn't because they are multiplayer rather than poor marketing and un imaginative gameplay.

The current game wouldn't make a multiplayer feature shoehorned in, I actually think the current open aspect of the game gives a perfect framework.

In my opinion the forums users here are a vocal minority and the people who want something else give their attention to a product that can provide what the X series could only offer a taste of. EVE online is great but its focus on clicking to move and sheer unfriendliness to new players with its skill system and corporation power blobs is turning many people away. The people playing it today are the sames ones who played it since launch.

Star citizen is giving players an option to play singleplayer, with a couple of friends or a large group. The game is intended to handle 45,000 people per server but still allow people to stay away from others if they don't want anything to do with them. It isn't going to be an MMO but share social elements of it. Roberts said he is doing with this what his original intent for freelancer was, I have not played freelancer so I cannot understand what he means. The current plan as far as I understand is having you exist in a multiplayer game but have the ability to choose to either participate with strangers, play alone or with just a few friends against AI.

His concept was interesting enough to secure 8 million on kickstarter and private investers.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sun, 31. Mar 13, 20:44

Multiplayer is not a good idea. Will you spend hours of your free time to aid newcomers, deal with arrogant peoples, annoyed by noob one-sided request? Otherwise it will be a financial nightmare.
How much it would cost to hire peoples to help the players and create some uberhugeexxxtralarge server to handle all the calculations?

Multiplayer is all about community. We also need NPCs to walk around. I can not imagine a system where we can not harm eachother but only the NPCs. Otherwise i will own the last remainin, one and only sillicon mine :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 06:52

Virtualaughing wrote:Will you spend hours of your free time to aid newcomers, deal with arrogant peoples, annoyed by noob one-sided request?
Of course, why do any of those things when you can hang out on the Egosoft forums?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 07:36

I'm not sharing my universe with any of you! :lol:
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Fallent

Post by Fallent » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 08:04

Thankfully Rebirth will have no multiplayer, and the next X game is 10 years away.

/Topic End.

Yeah, I'm just full of fun!

Faldo
x3ap

Post by Faldo » Wed, 3. Apr 13, 15:18

I prefer a single player for X saga.

In your universe you can be a kind.

In mmorpg there is always a uglier and fatter guy who spends much more hours playing the game than you.

:lol:

PookyMacMan
x3ap

Post by PookyMacMan » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 05:41

"Multiplayer" IMO is too general. But I believe if you are going to include multiplayer in any game, one must be careful because it could either be one of the best features or the worst.

For me, I dislike a majority of MMO games. I have friends who play SWTOR, and it is not at all intriguing to me. Why? One word: depth. More than one word: I only play games with complex (not complicated) gameplay and realistic graphics and physics (disclaimer: those are the only games I can play for more than 20 minutes at a time). Now, concerning gameplay, PC multiplayer games that I've seen/played fall of the cliff of over-complicated controls, and little depth to story or gameplay elements. If any of you have ever played the game Vindictus I believe you will understand. Graphics: SWTOR and most others disappoint me greatly. Either they're too "smooth" or too blocky, or worse, both. But I have high standards, so whate'rr. :roll: But, the physics in SWTOR are utterly horrid. I am not hooked on games for their social aspect alone. I'm not saying people who play MMOs are stupid or low-life or anything like that, this is just my personal opinion.

That being said, the only multiplayer that I would want in X would be private co-op, like my brother and I would have a game together and he would be a wingman. Or we could be separate and just build our empires separately, but it would be the same game. But there are two complications that I see: first, considering the vastness of the X Universe all participants would have to have incredible Internet (unless of course it was LAN). Even though the background processes could be offloaded on the different computers, the synchronization would be very demanding (for many computers anyway, not mine but others might). The second has been repeated many times: there aren't enough resources for developers, and the extra profits from co-op would not justify (read: satisfy) the cost of development. Solution? Let's get a fund together and donate a few hundred thousand/million dollars to Egosoft. :D

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 07:49

Star Citizen will be the definitive MMO space sim. I personally would prefer if the X-series remain a good single player experience.

Faldo
x3ap

Post by Faldo » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 09:12

Simoom wrote:Star Citizen will be the definitive MMO space sim. I personally would prefer if the X-series remain a good single player experience.
SC won`t be a tradicional MMO, it will be something like coperative.

You can play alone if you want.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 10:11

I would not want to see multiplayer in the normal sense of it but more of a battle sector where you could challenge other players, you both build a fleet of ships and fight it out and have up to 4 players fighting it out :)
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

Len5

Post by Len5 » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 12:58

I'm happy there's at least one developer left that isn't focussing on multiplayer.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 21:23

My answer is a rotund "leave MP out of this".

Even if Ego is taking the steps this time to not technically prevent multiplayer from happening (By removing SETA as a game concept), the main gripe with X's gameplay is the game pace.

Take your last game on any X's title and focus on something you achieved you were proud of. Well now think on the ammount of real time it took you to fullfill your plans...

Now, can you find some1 that can dedicate the same ammount of concurrent time playing with/against you? Some1 prone to save/load the same ammout of times it took for you on your "tests"? Can you personally spend the same ammount of time in a row?

That's why MP will hardly ever work without killing the unique gameplay of X's games... Groups of persons with the dedication and time to spend to achieve something "X style" will be VERY rare.

Making MP to work on the X Universe, on the other hand, is something we can have... But the tittle's gameplay will have to change to spend less time thinking/building and more time exploring/fighting.

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Sat, 6. Apr 13, 13:05

I don't see the X saga ever working with multiplayer without some major changes as to how the game works in single player right now, and I'm totally fine with that.

That said, I wouldn't mind having a death match option where you could test your fighting skills against that of other players.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sat, 6. Apr 13, 16:23

Maybe cooperative mode, like start a singleplayer game and invite a friend to help you doing normal X-like things.

ice799
x4

Post by ice799 » Sun, 7. Apr 13, 18:13

To be quite honest.

Multiplayer wouldn't be a bad thing, though there are a lot of good points of why it shouldn't ever be implemented. Honestly I remember another game that was solely focused on single player sandbox style.

Mount & Blade. Dev's said it would be impossible.

Year later M&B Warband comes out. Still got a rocking single player sandbox, and its multiplayer has turned out to be something quite incredible, tournaments, competitive play etc.

I'd like to see a multiplayer if it was setup in a similar way. Different game modes, buy / customize different ships sort of a load-out system for every round / match, gain credits for winning rounds / killing players etc to spend on upgrades.

My .05 cents. (We don't have pennies in Canada anymore.)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”