Cheeky Use of Best Buy thingies and E cells!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Smurfario
x2

Cheeky Use of Best Buy thingies and E cells!

Post by Smurfario » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 00:11

Apologies if this has been suggested before, but I have found a sneaky way of making money pretty quickly using the Best Buy/Selling Software. I'll assume everyone knows where to get the Best Buy/selling software from.

Go to a sector with a large number of factories, and 1 or 2 SPPs. Because the Best Buy stuff tells you where the cheapest E-cells are in that sector, and the Selling software tells you which factory is buying at the highest rate, I have found that the Selling software generally indicates which factory is one of those "EMERGENCY - GET US E-CELLS AND QUICK - WE'LL PAY YOU LOADS", because they are the ones that are willing to pay 25 credits for 1 cell (according to the software). Before you go there, get the cheapest cells you can find using the Best Buy software and head on over to the most desperate factory.

Then, dock at that factory and go straight to the BBS, and do not trade. (I haven't tried trading before going over to the BBS for fear of losing that lucrative trading run - it may be possible to trade first and for the mission to still be there, I don't know to be honest). More often than not there is a request for pilots to transport emergency e-cells (depending on your rank, you may not be able to do them however). Accept the mission and exit the station. Immediately re-enter the station and you will get the message saying "Jolly well done matey, now go get the rest". Having bought the e-cells before you docked with the desperate factory saves you time and effort in getting the cells, leaving you more time to go off and get the second batch if its needed, or if your TS doesn't have a big enough hold for all of the required cells in one go. It also means that you are more or less guaranteed not to miss out on the fat bonus. On one run I worked out that with the raised fee and bonus paymets, the factory was paying 75 credits per cell net ( i.e after taking of the cost of buying the cell). With a 3000 cargo Dolphin that's a lorra lorra cash Cilla.

The key seems to be that the Best Buy/Selling software gives you a better chance of finding a factory offering the lucrative emergency trade runs. This is an especially handy way of making quick credits to pay for a new TS/M5 in a short time or before you get a factory (and I'm just about to buy my first one!). Over 3 or so playing hourse this afternoon I have made almost 1 million credits by doing this, in Atreus Cloud as I said, but I reckon the principle may well work in many other sectors.

Again, apologies if this is a repetition, but I thought others might like a helping hand.

J

blahblahblah

Post by blahblahblah » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 00:26

Very interesting. Your assertion that the best buy software tends to point to stations with BBS missions is definitely something I will try in my own game. :)

Kamenjar
x3tc

Post by Kamenjar » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 00:37

I actually did this while I was making cash form my first station (without the best buy software but manually inspecting). FOund out almost by accidente. I would find the factory that is desperate to get something and land there in hopes to find this mission. However the factory would only pay me 26 per esach energy cell + some cash (maybe 2000). It dodn't seem worth it. Especially as the factoy would want maybe 100 units or so.

So what I used to do:
1) Land to the station with my Discoverer
2) Look the bbs (in the meantime my mercury is loaded with cells) and get the mission.
3) Tell mercury to land here.
4) Tell mercury to sell all but the required X number of cells needed for the mission.
5) Switch to mercury
6) Undock
7) Dock (BLING!)

Now why I did this.. because I did not want the first X number of cells to lower the price at which I would sell the rest. This way I would get the reward AND sell ALL of the cells at maximum price.

Would at higher trading rank the station offer more cash? Or does that have to do with faction?

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 01:01

All you need to do is accept the mission, leave the menus, go back to the menus.
No leaving your ship/transfering ships is needed.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

Kamenjar
x3tc

Post by Kamenjar » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 01:03

I actually did that and it didn't work. I am pretty sure that it does not work. Maybe for a diffrent type of mission it will work. I had to redock.

Moody
x3tc

Post by Moody » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 08:35

Or better yet. Find one of those 26 cred desperate stations, accept the mission. Sell your present batch for 25-26 (not having undocked and re-docked), then go out and get more cells locked at that 26 cred price. Gets you a little more profit + whatever the incentive payment was.
Moody
What do you expect?

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 08:47

Kamenjar wrote: However the factory would only pay me 26 per esach energy cell + some cash (maybe 2000). It dodn't seem worth it. Especially as the factoy would want maybe 100 units or so.
2,000 credit bonus? Only a hundred cells? Aw man, you're missing out on the good ones! Just wait till you stumble across a mission where they want 4,000 energy cells and will offer you a bonus of 70,000+ if you get it all under the deadline :D Those are defintely worth taking. Your haul from such missions is potentially insane (150,000 sound nice?). Heck, even if you BUY the cells at 25, that's still some uber profitsssss.

Kumnaa
x2

Post by Kumnaa » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 14:45

Clearly i should be paying more attention to the BBS :(

Bandus
x4

Post by Bandus » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 15:07

I took a mission last night where they paid me 70,000 to haul the cargo and paid me $250,000 in bonuses for being fast. I was a happy camper. :-)

raskor414
x2

Post by raskor414 » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 20:27

I took a mission last night for 14xx wheat. I didn't make much even at the max price because wheat was almost non-existant, even in systems with 2 wheat factories. However the 100k bonus was nice and while I could have made more just hauling energy, it was a nice change of pace.

DTK

Post by DTK » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 20:34

What is BBS?

Machismo
x2

hmmm

Post by Machismo » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 20:35

I am wondering where I can get this buy/sell software. Are the Teladi the ones with it since they are trading moguls? Thanks

Samhorns
x3

Post by Samhorns » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 20:59

DTK wrote:What is BBS?
Bulletin board system

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”