Affects Version/s: 3.50 - Beta 1
Fix Version/s: None
You landed on this page because the game detected an error to start the game.
The issue occurs, if Steam fails to be initialized for the game.
This can be caused by a multitude of reasons. The game window should have reported an errorcode. The following table provides possible solutions based on the displayed error code:
|0x00||We could not determine any more specific cause for the issue.
Usually the issue can be resolved by simply restarting the game, quitting and restarting Steam, and/or rebooting the machine.
The issue also occurs if you have Steam running but are not logged in (or the logged in account doesn't own the game) and have a steam_appid.txt located in the same directory as the game executable or alternatively have the SteamAppId-environment variable specified. Note that this can only happen if you explicitly specified the environment variable or added the text-file in the directory yourself. Be aware that this is a Steam-internal development feature (which hence primarily developers would run into). The game doesn't do any of this by itself.
If these steps don't solve your issue, please follow the steps described below the table.
|0x7e||Steam failed to load a required module/DLL.
This can be caused by file corruptions, antivirus (or other 3rd-party) software preventing Steam from loading a required module, access violations, etc.
Please try to restart the game. If the issue persists, reboot your machine and restart the game. If the issue still persists, we suggest to uninstall and reinstall Steam. If neither of these suggestions solve the problem, follow the steps described below the table.
|any other error||Follow the steps described below the table.|
If none of the described steps above solved the issue and you cannot start the game at all (i.e. you always run into the exitcode 2 issue) or if the reported error code is not mentioned in the table above, please send a mail to email@example.com (Subject: XRUIMOD-283 - exitcode 2) with the following attached information:
- which version of X Rebirth you ran (i.e. X Rebirth, X Rebirth (VR Edition - Steam VR Mode), X Rebirth (VR Edition - Oculus VR Mode))
- the version of the game you started (i.e. whether you ran a beta version or not)
- describe whether the issue is persistent (i.e. whether it occurs whenever you start the game or whether it just happens occasionally)
- add the error code to your message which was reported by the game
- attach a screenshot of the error popup the game displayed
- the dxdiag (see this wiki entry for a description on how to get the dxdiag)
- your Steam logs (these are normally located under [SteamDirectory]\logs)
- your Steam community name (this will help us to analyze the issue together with the Steam support, if required)
In case you run into this issue using the normal X Rebirth version (i.e. not the VR Edition), we provide an exe which allows you to start the game without connecting to Steam. This FAQ explains how to install the exe and the implications/restrictions which this version has.