If you have different playthroughs depending on different mod setups, you might want to keep them isolated into different profiles which can be switched by hitting a single shortcut.
Warning: This guide uses some knowledge about executable script files if you don't understand it, don't do it.
- Backup your Saves, and do it far away from the my Documents folder!(some used commands can and will delete them if you make a mistake or ignore a part of this guide)
- Locate the folder where XR saves it's settings and your saves, It should have a long ugly number as name, and would normally be in your personal folder\documents\Egosoft\XRebirth. we call this folder the "settings-folder" in the rest of the guide.
It should have the following content:
save (this is the folder where your saves are, if you haven't made a backup yet do so NOW!)
- Create a new empty folder inside the "settings-folder", and copy everything else inside the "settings-folder" into the new folder, you can name it like "my first profile" or "default" or something else, the guide now calls this new folder the "profile-folder".
- Run XR and activate any extension and it's updates as well as the workshop itself in the extensions setting and close XR.
- Create an empty text document in the "profile-folder" with the following content:
Content for Windows users: (<> means you have to edit this part depending on your local situation)
<del "..\inputmap_<n>.xml"> #this line is needed if you have multiple controlsetups remove the <> and insert the correct numbers instead of <n>
mklink /d "..\save" "%~dp0\save"
mklink "..\config.xml" "%~dp0\config.xml"
mklink "..\content.xml" "%~dp0\content.xml"
mklink "..\debuglog.txt" "%~dp0\debuglog.txt"
mklink "..\inputmap.xml" "%~dp0\inputmap.xml"
<mklink "..\inputmap_<n>.xml" "%~dp0\inputmap_<n>.xml"> #this line is needed if you have multiple controlsetups remove the <> and insert the correct numbers instead of <n>
mklink "..\progressbar.xml" "%~dp0\progressbar.xml"
mklink "..\uidata.xml" "%~dp0\uidata.xml"
start /d "<Path>" XRebirth.exe #You will insert the installation path of XR instead of <Path> e.g. "C:\Programs\Steam\Steam Apps\Common\X Rebirth" make sure the path is inside this guys: ""
- Rename the text document to launchprofile.cmd make sure to change the ending, too, Windows for example will warn about this, so say yes.
- create a shortcut to the launchprofile.cmd this way you can launch the game with this profile from your desktop or similar.
- open the content.xml in the "profile-folder" and edit this way:
In each extension-node add a sync="something" after the enabled="something" e.g. <extension id="ego_dlc_teladi_outpost" enabled="true" sync="false"></extension>
sync should be false for all non Workshop mods, and have the same value as the enabled setting for workshop mods.
Workshop mods will have their id starting with ws_ followed by a number. e.g. <extension id="ws_250885722" enabled="true" sync="true"></extension>
make sure that the sync is enabled for the content-node: <content sync="true">
This way we will still get updates for mods downloaded at the workshop without having steam changing our content.xml.
- You can now launch the profile by hitting the shotcut, if you need additional profiles just copy and modify an old one.
German version: Erstellen isolierter Modkonfigurationen für XR