- (REMOVED) The old "mission objective update" effect in the crosshair was dropped (since this is superseded by the new mission bar (see below))
- (NEW FEATURE) A new mission bar appears in the center of the screen, if the current mission objective changes:
- (BUGFIX) Certain texts (namely: Saving game... (and related) and texts in the subchannel bar) appeared behind menus, making them kind of unreadable, if a menu was open. This has been resolved and these texts are displayed in front of open menus now.
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-314
- (BUGFIX) The interactive interaction text in the crosshair (1st-person and non-1st-person modes) could be displayed in certain cases, even if the interaction was not possible at the moment. One obvious case was when talking to an NPC, where the "talk" action text was still displayed during the conversation.
It could also happen the other way around (i.e. the interaction text would be missing in certain situations). Both cases have been fixed now.
Developer notes for changes in 3.10 Beta 1
- (IMPROVEMENT) Prior to 3.10 Beta 1 a certain type of UI initialization related startup issue was reported by the game as a runtime crash. As of 3.10 Beta 1 these issues are now properly checked at game start and affected players are redirected to a more specific troubleshooting page to help them resolve the problem. (see
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-297
- (BUGFIX) In some cases target elements could be missing in 1st-person mode and targets could be untargetable. This has been fixed now. (regression introduced in 3.00 Beta 9)
- (BUGFIX) Missions no longer try to display target elements for objects in space while the player is in 1st-person mode.
Developer notes for changes in 3.10 (Hotfix 1)
- (BUGFIX) In some cases target elements could be missing in 1st-person mode and targets could be untargetable. This has been fixed now. (regression introduced in 3.10 Beta 1)
Note that these cases differed from the cases fixed in 3.10 Beta 1. In this case the issue occurred for example when standing on a docking bay while a ship docks. That ship would have no working target elements. Technically this issue was related to the fix done to resolve the original target problem in 3.10 Beta 1.
- (BUGFIX) Certain NPCs were sometimes not reliably targetable when pointing at their bodies. In some cases just sections of the NPC were not targetable while for others it seemed as if the entire NPC could not be targeted. This has been fixed. (this was likely a 3.0 regression).
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 1)
- (BUGFIX) The game failed to start on certain distributions on Linux (mostly applies to installations using the GOG version of the game) related to a missing or incompatible system version of the OpenSSL library. This has now been fixed.
- (BUGFIX) In certain cases when loading a savegame fails, the game could crash instead of going back to the startmenu.
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-342
This reportedly happened when trying to load a savegame made with certain mods and force loading it into a game not having the mod installed.
- (IMPROVEMENT) Filename format of crash dump files was changed and no longer contains the 'r' in the filename before the version number.
- (BUGFIX) The game used to generate two crash dump files for each crash instead of just one file. This has been fixed now.
- (BUGFIX) Cases where the UI seemed to appear stuck were fixed. The issue was related to situations involving an excessive amount of sounds being attempted to be played. Visible effects were for example: NPCs being stuck on the target monitor, conversations not continuing, being stuck in 1st-person facing an NPC after the conversation completed, saving the game not being possible, etc.
In most cases the problem resolved itself after a few seconds. However, it could also cause lengthy (technically even indefinitely) delays, before normal controls worked again.
- (NEW FEATURE) When activating the match speed mode (default: Shift+X), a new indicator in the speed bar shows that the mode is active now and indicates the target's speed. Like the arrow showing the own player ship's targeted speed, it also changes the color (to blue) if the target is currently using boosted speed (iow: either has boost active or uses travel drive).
- (IMPROVEMENT) Minor tweak to the target speed element, to make it better visible on bright background (f.e. when flying towards the sun).
- (BUGFIX) Boso Ta's incorrect target element offset was corrected.
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 2)
- (BUGFIX) Using mods, the game reported an error related to the provided content.xml file failing to read the corresponding .sig-file. This has been resolved now and such errors for content.xml files will no longer be reported.
- (IMPROVEMENT) Crash report handling for memory system related crashes was improved. Previously these crashes weren't identified correctly and had a chance of triggering a later crash instead. Depending on the particular scenario, it could have been quite time consuming to identify the underlying cause for these crashes. As of 3.20 Beta 2 we now better handle these crashes which helps us to resolve the remaining ones in a future version and also set up more accurate troubleshooting pages for affected players.
- (IMPROVEMENT) Failures to bring up the start menu were previously not reported. Instead, the game ended up just showing the background scene without any menu showing up. This was changed and instead the game reports such errors now to the user with troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem with his game installation.
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 2 Hotfix 1)
- (IMPROVEMENT) Previously certain types of game crashes always redirected to a generic troubleshooting page (
). As of 3.20 Beta 2 Hotfix 1, each type of crash is now redirected to its own separate (more specific) troubleshooting page. This ensures that crashes not related to the graphics engine are not (incorrectly) suggesting that running graphics engine related troubleshooting steps would resolve this particular problem.
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-2
- (BUGFIX) When certain types of crashes occur, the game did not report these and didn't open the corresponding troubleshooting page, if the game was running in fullscreen.
Developer notes for changes in 3.20 (Beta 3)
- (IMPROVEMENT) This version added handling to provide explicit troubleshooting steps in case the game crashes due to a lost device condition.
Developer notes for changes in 3.30 (Beta 1)
- (IMPROVEMENT) A certain type of Vulkan related error is now being detected explicitly. Affected users are redirected to the new troubleshooting page, which points out instructions on how to resolve the issue (
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-479
- (IMPROVEMENT) Startup problems due to missing (or incompatible) Vulkan runtimes were previously reported with a Windows specific error message. These cases now directly point to a potentially missing/incompatible Vulkan runtime (
JIRA server Egosoft JIRA serverId 9d4eeb41-d1c2-3d89-8ea6-0964f358c464 key X4-82
- (BUGFIX) Multiple minor issues related to mouse clicks were resolved. Notable situations which were resolved were for example mouse clicks on NPCs already selecting the dialog menu option underneath the mouse cursor with just a single click on the NPC in certain (very specific) situations.
Technically three different issues were resolved here including cases where mouse state changes were evaluated in the next (instead of the current) frame, inconsistent mouse state evaluation if multiple UI updates were performed in a single frame, and inconsistent handling of mouse clicks on either mouse down or mouse up events.