This page explains how to translate the Wiki-based X4: Foundations manual from English intoto other languages.
The manual is located here.
Selecting a chapter/page for translation
- Click on the chapter/page that you want to translate in the tree structure to the left.
- In the upper right corner, select the language you want to translate into.
- Click the Translate button towards the upper right
- The Wiki page will now switch to split window mode. The left-hand pane contains the original language (English) while the right-hand pane is for the language you want to translate into. If no translation has yet been done, the right-hand pane will be empty. It is in the right-hand pane that you, as a translator, will add the text for the new language. The picture below shows a page where translation has begun.
How to add Table of Contents
- Click to place your cursor at the top of the right pane. Select "Insert" in the toolbar and select "Table of Contents".
- The following "item" will be added to your page on the right-hand side, showing that you have added a "Table of Contents".
Writing text / changing headings
- If you want to write text, simply click to place your cursor at a desired place in the right-hand pane, then type.
- If you want to change a header, simply click to place your cursor at desired line, then select the heading type towards the upper left in the tool bar.
Working with tables
- To add a table, place your cursor where you want your table and click on "Table" in the tool bar. You can then choose the size of the table in cells (i.e. 3x3 as the picture shows. You may not find the exact size you need, but do not worry about it; just add the table.
- If you need to add/delete rows or columns, simply click to place your cursor in the table. This action causes a new row in the tool bar to be visible. Click on an icon to perform the desired action.
Adding an image
- Select "Insert" in the tool bar, then select image.
- A small window will pop up with all the pictures used by the original language (left window). Select the image you want to add, then click "Insert".
Saving the page
- You can save at any time. Just click on the Save button in the lower left corner.
- A new window will pop up and ask for a "Translation status". The "Complete" button should be selected when the entire page has been translated. Until then, "Not (yet) Complete" should be selected. If you happen to use the wrong button, don't panic! Both buttons do save the page in the same way; the "Complete" button is just used for us internally, for status tracking purposes.