Loop end product profitability spreadsheet (v1.05)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Roenie
x3tc

Loop end product profitability spreadsheet (v1.05)

Post by Roenie » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 15:33

Update 22/oct/2006: Sheet updated again, much easier to understand
Update 08/oct/2006: Sheet updated, more data, more user-friendly
Update 1/14/2006: Link fixed

Very proud to present:

An Excel spreadsheet, made by Merroc and myself, that does this:

It shows how the loop end product profitabilities compare, meaning: when production of that product is supported by an energy loop. It also shows how they compare to selling the e-cells instead, if you hadn't used them to create the product, plus loads of other data, such as the return you're getting on each energy cell used in creating a product.

You *can* use it for open loops, to some extent, aslong as it's an open loop that sells but doesn't buy its e-cells/produces them itself. In this case you just get extra profit from the trading station trick, on top of what is shown. If you use it for open loops though (to determine what end product you want to create) keep in mind that even though a certain end product (drones) potentially makes the most profit, you should also think about the total profit the entire loop makes. In other words, the profits of all the individual stations in the loop, added up. Each inbetween product in an open loop sells its product at max, and then it gets bought back at average. The difference between max and average, the cycle time and the number of products produced per cycle, determine how much one factory makes per hour, by using the “trading station trick”. I’d love to add all that data to the sheet, but I have other things to do, unfortunately. My sheet (and guide) creation time has run out, atleast for a while.

It was originally created for my guide on loops that will be up soon, but I figured this should get its own thread, so it isn't missed. (*cough*bump*cough*)

I couldn't have done it without Merroc, so put your hands together. :D

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/q.zonn ... bility.xls

The way to use the spreadsheet is obviously by sorting the data for the column you want to look at. How to do that is explained, at the top.

If anyone can host a mirror to ensure long-term availability, please do.

CHANGELOG:
v1.0: Initial release.
v1.01: Average price of Beta IRE fixed
v1.02: Cycle time of SPP slightly changed to match "speed' of cfab.
v1.03: An attempt to "fix" the SPP stats - failed.
v1.04: SPP stats NOW truly honestly and completely and finally fixed! Yeah! Also had to update columns N and P, accordingly.
v1.1: Pending.

Please update the mirror, too.

The loops guide is done:
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73990

It complements the excel sheet, and vice versa.

To further explain the purpose of this excel sheet, I quote from the introduction of the guide:

Lone Factories
Lone factories, especially SPP's, are the most profitable. The problem is that your empire tends to spread out over a huge number of sectors, making all those lone factories very hard to defend. It's also just plain handy to have things grouped together more. You could throw several factories in one sector, or in a few sectors that are close together, but often times and sooner or later you will find yourself running low on resources, or unable to sell your wares if you have several factories of the same type. You can make it your job to support the local economy with whatever low-level wares the AI factories need, but if you don't want to do that, or only want to sell wares that give the best returns…

Loops
This is where loops come in. There are two types of loop, closed and open.

Closed Loops
Generally used to create “for free”, tech items for personal use. They give you a certainty that the wares go from player station to player station through direct delivery. The downside is that if one of those freighters gets destroyed, the whole loop grinds to a halt. More importantly, Closed loops aren't very profitable at all in comparison to open loops and lone stations. Personally, I would use open loops, even if it was just to make tech items for personal use. Then atleast you make an (extra) profit along the way. “Closed loops generate a product economically, not so much money, because the credits are simply passed from your right hand to your left.” (*thanks for that quote, b-b-q). So selling the end product does give you a profit, but open loops generate more of it. You really should only use Closed loops if you’re going to use the end product yourself, and you really don’t want any fuss, e.g. just deliver the wares from one station to the other and not worry about selling and buying. If you don’t need any more credits and you just want to make sure you always have 125MW shields at the ready, set that 125MW factory to not trade with the locals, and this is the way to go. (Store them elsewhere and keep producing, then prepare a Julian invasion - triggered by too many Split being in their sectors.)

Open Loops
They are essentially a number of stations strung together, like in a closed loop, with two major differences. (1)The supplying factories passively sell their wares to trading stations at maximum price. Then the next factory in line, which needs those wares, buys them back from the trading stations at average price. This adds extra profits, when compared to a closed loop. (2)Although the end (tech) product of a closed loop can be sold, it often isn't because the player who owns the loop would like to keep its product for his own use. The Open loop is different in that all the products it creates are sold for profits (except the primary food, which the trading stations don’t buy, and is often too scarce to be able to buy back). And as a general rule, whatever your open loop takes from the sector/area it is in, it should also provide to the sector/area. Combinations of the closed and open loops are ofcourse possible. P.S.: I don’t consider a loop that buys its energy cells an open loop, because that seems rather pointless to me. My idea of an open loop is a closed loop that sells its products along the way, including the end product, but not necessarily including the primary (low level) food product.

The Profitability Spreadsheet
To find out which end products make the most profit when produced by a loop, use this spreadsheet created by Merroc and myself. It can be found here:
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73918

The spreadsheet does many things.

First of all, it proves the fact that selling surplus energy cells directly is less profitable than using them to create a product (e-cells is a possibility!) and then selling that. You might notice the SPP is the most profitable station on the list, by far. Meaning, an SPP supported by another SPP that also supports itself, is more profitable than e.g. a Drone Factory that is supported by an SPP that also supports itself. But don't be a fool and support one SPP with the other like that. Build them seperately and let them each support themselves. Incase you have two: that way they both sell 50% of the total e-cells and do 50% of the total supporting, instead of one doing all the supporting and the other doing all the selling, which is more dangerous - if one freighter goes, everything suffers instead of half of it.

A lone SPP that lets its supporting factories buy their own e-cells, is only more profitable than a 'looped' SPP (=provides the e-cells for its supporting factories), if they can buy them at <9.56 Cr per e-cell. Assuming they can't, the best way to go, is build looped SPPs (all seperate from each other) that sell their remaining e-cells, until the market starts to saturate and your selling price has to drop dramatically. When that happens you can either move on to a new area/sector, or start building loops that produce an end product, e.g. Drones, which is the next most profitable thing. (provided you can sell them)

The sheet contains a huge amount of interesting data, but it applies to closed loops that only sell their end-product. You *can* use it for open loops, in that case you just get extra profit from the trading station trick, on top of what is shown. If you use it for open loops though (to determine what end product you want to create) keep in mind that even though a certain end product (drones) potentially makes the most profit, you should also think about the total profit the entire loop makes. In other words, the profits of all the individual stations in the loop, added up. Each inbetween product in an open loop sells its product at max, and then it gets bought back at average. The difference between max and average, the cycle time and the number of products produced per cycle, determine how much one factory makes per hour, by using the “trading station trick”. I’d love to add all that data to the sheet, but I have other things to do, unfortunately. My sheet and guide creation time has run out.
Last edited by Roenie on Sun, 22. Oct 06, 02:49, edited 26 times in total.
I claim this planet in the name of Ed, bringer of bacon.
Roenie's Guide to Open and Closed Loops (X2)

Goldo
x3tc

Post by Goldo » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 18:44

Looks very good, could be helpful

An Idea for improvement though - if you are any good at VB why not code up some sort of Sort Interface to make it much more user friendly instead of having to sift through, would be cool

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 19:03

Almost exactly my thinking Goldo. What I actually thought was, "This table needs a lookup facility". So I made one.

Roenie or Merroc, get in touch with an e-mail adress if you want to see what I've created. It's yours for free. :)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

|M|
x4

Post by |M| » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 19:06

I can mirror it for ya, gimme a few mo's to upload it and i'll give ya a link

|M|
x4

Post by |M| » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 19:13

Ok, link now on my page:

Sorry-long gone

Please link to there, not directly to the file since freepgs don't like to be used as just file hosts...
Last edited by |M| on Thu, 24. Nov 05, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Faust
x3

Post by Faust » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 22:03

Don't you people know how to sort a spreadsheet?

Exel has got a search function built in already, and a more versatile one than quite a lot of database GPPs too, you know :wink:

Faust
Whats more dangerous than a crazy Teladi with a PSG? Simple. One that knows what its doing...

Finding 1.3 tough? Try my guide!
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ght=remedy

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 22:21

Who says we're using Excel? :P

When I do use it (at work) I know full well how to sort. I also know a lot more tricks, a small sample of which I've used in this case. A good spreadsheet presents the information in a clear way and is straightforward to use. The sort abilities of Excel are not, to the average user.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 22:35

Rapier wrote:Almost exactly my thinking Goldo. What I actually thought was, "This table needs a lookup facility". So I made one.

Roenie or Merroc, get in touch with an e-mail adress if you want to see what I've created. It's yours for free. :)
If Roenie hasnt contacted you about this, feel free to look up my mail in my profile (next to MSN). If he has, still feel free to do the same :)

Roenie
x3tc

Post by Roenie » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 22:51

I gave Rapier my email address in a pm.

The way to use the spreadsheet on its own, is obviously by sorting the data for the column you want to look at. It's not rocket science. How to do that is even explained, at the top. I agree that it's a little labour intensive, but what's a few clicks to find out so much? Anyway, I hope Rapier's interface is an improvement on the sheet without negatively affecting its potential, and in that case I assume he'll allow me to post it up here as a d/l in the original post.

[EDIT]
Not gonna happen at this point, Rapier's lookup table is littered with bugs, atleast the version I got, is. I do applaud and appreciate people putting in time and effort to contribute, but.... Anyways this is probably a file conversion problem.
[/EDIT]

If anyone would like to contribute by adding a column with station max stocks, please do. :D Couldn't find that data anywhere.
Last edited by Roenie on Sun, 16. Jan 05, 01:11, edited 3 times in total.

jaguarskx
x3

Post by jaguarskx » Sat, 15. Jan 05, 23:32

Very interesting. Looks to be useful for all level of players.

DarrenTomlyn
x3ap

Post by DarrenTomlyn » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 02:03

Just wait and see what happens when all the extra stuff from my spreadsheet gets added...:-)
Darren Tomlyn

Tune-writer and fiddle-player,

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/3291/

Goldo
x3tc

Post by Goldo » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 13:35

Rapier wrote:Almost exactly my thinking Goldo. What I actually thought was, "This table needs a lookup facility". So I made one.

Sweet as dude, would be a tits now :)

Roenie - pm me with the final version, i'll see if the Cartel can mirror one for you also

Roenie
x3tc

Post by Roenie » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 13:55

Better wait for 1.1.
Last edited by Roenie on Mon, 17. Jan 05, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra
x3

Post by Zarathustra » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 20:31

Nice table, which throws up some interesting results. :thumb_up:

However, I think there might be some problems with the figures used for SPPs.

Firstly, the spreadsheet assumes SPPs are operating in 100% sunlight, giving a cycle time of 118 seconds. Working at that speed, the SPP needs very slightly more crystals than a crystal fab in a closed loop is capable of providing. If the SPP only works at the speed of the crystal fab supplying it(which produces 8 crystals in an 8 minute cycle), the effective cycle time is 120 seconds. Only 2 seconds difference, but over an hour it reduces the potential profits by a couple of thousand credits. Of course it’s a different story in an open loop, but obviously that would affect some of the other assumptions made elsewhere in the spreadsheet.

Secondly, even after reading the note at the top of the spreadsheet, I’m doubtful about the products/cycle figure used for SPPs.

The note says:

“The SPP number of products/cycle is not an error. Because SPPs are the only thing capable of creating energy, they have to support themselves. This means they can only actually *use* part of the cells produced per cycle.”

However, the ‘cost’ of the e-cells needed to support the SPP is accounted for already in Column E, which in turn is deducted from the factory’s return (Column K) to calculate the extra profit it makes (Column M).

Column E is assuming you got the e-cells from somewhere else, i.e. another one of your SPPs, and could have sold them to the AI instead of supplying the factories needed to support a further SPP. In turn, this would mean that all the e-cells produced by the second SPP can be sold for profit, as it doesn’t need to supply its supporting factories. So then I think the spreadsheet is effectively double-counting the cost of the energy used by the second SPP, by also reducing the number of e-cells available from each cycle.

Or putting it another way, the product/cycle figure is assuming a ‘single loop’, whereas the other columns are assuming something more like a ‘double loop’.

If the product/cycle figure is put back to 276, then SPPs go back to being the potentially most profitable factories.

Am I missing the point?
[ external image ] "In football, time and space are the same thing."

|M|
x4

Post by |M| » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 20:44

My site updated.

Roenie
x3tc

Post by Roenie » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 00:30

Zarathustra wrote:Am I missing the point?
I'm afraid so.
Zarathustra wrote: Column E is assuming you got the e-cells from somewhere else, i.e. another one of your SPPs, and could have sold them to the AI instead of supplying the factories needed to support a further SPP.
Well the E column is there for the K column to be compared against it by the L column, so it doesnt matter where you get the ECells from.

The E column, for the SPP, is not there to say "this is what you could've got had you sold the e-cells", because you don't have any at that point. It's there to say "this is the cost of running this station" (Read: of creating the surplus e-cells that you *can* use). Stick two energy loops together if you want (don't recommend it, as explained in my loops guide, through images), one spp purely supporting the supply factories, but that still doesn't change anything. (double cost, double amount of usable/sellable e-cells)

-
I changed the SPP cycle time from 118 to 120, so that it's in sync with the cfab. Thanks for the tip. The cycle time of 118 seconds was correct in theory (i checked it in the game) but 120 is the number in practise.

Graf_Grau
x2

Post by Graf_Grau » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 11:01

I think you have over complicate the math here,

SPP Produce (100%) in 1 hr = 8280
E cells nedded for Loop = 3600
Therefore remaining = 4680

Therefore profit at average price = 74880
Profit at max 22 = 102960

Roenie
x3tc

Post by Roenie » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 11:28

Those SPPs really are a trouble-maker. I wish they never were in the game in the first place, hehe.

No that's not the problem, Graf_Grau. Haha, because I fixed the cycle time from 118 to 120, to match up with the 'speed' of the crystal fab, now the products/cycle should be set to 156 instead of 158. Ofcourse I could have the sheet calculate the SPP's data in the way you described, but that would make its formula in one of the columns different from that of the other station types, which is never a good thing.

Now in 1.03 the SPP stats are officially fine in the spreadsheet. 8)

Pirate Hunter
x2

Post by Pirate Hunter » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 12:44

Let me know when V1.1 is complete and I will add it to the Ultimate Guide.
[ external image ][/url]
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73689 The New and Improved Ultimate Guide to Everything

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 13:07

Roenie wrote:Now in 1.03 the SPP stats are officially fine in the spreadsheet. 8)
:rolf:
Hmm... I wonder why im not involved intensly in the making of 1.1... :s
Doesnt matter that much... I did my bit, Roenie may do the finetuning :P. And besides Í have some tasks myself too :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”