|Edited: 06/03/16 19:46
The NoSteam executable for X Rebirth allows you to play the game without having to run the Steam client. It can be downloaded from the Downloads page, as long as you have either registered X Rebirth in your forum profile or linked your Steam account. To use it:
- Download the zip-archive containing the NoSteam executable from the link provided above and extract it to an empty folder.
- Copy the executable to your X Rebirth Steam directory (by default
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth).
- If you wish to use your existing savegames: Copy the "save" folder containing your existing X Rebirth saves from
...\Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth\[Your Steam-ID]\ to
- Start the game by doubleclicking on the 'XRebirth_n' executable.
Note: We only recommend using this if you have particular difficulties running Steam. Solutions to most common problems with Steam are covered in our Steam FAQ section.
If you are using the NoSteam executable you won't be able to:
- Patch your game – Patches are only provided through Steam
- Get Steam achievements
- Use any other Steam online function
- Access the same folder for your savegames as with the normal X Rebirth Steam executable. When not using Steam, there's no way to find out your Steam ID. Hence why both exe files cannot share the same savegame folder. If you do wish to use the same savegames in both versions, you will have to copy the "save" folder to the respective directories, as explained above.
With the NoSteam executable it is technically possible to completely remove Steam from your system and still play the game. However, you should back up your Steam games before uninstalling Steam, otherwise all your Steam games will be uninstalled!